Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantitative business UCD.

• 01-02-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

The economics and finance course in UCD has been discontinued under the code DN671 and been merged into a new course called Quantitative business (DN670) that takes in economics and finance, analytic business and no preference.

The economics and finance course was 580 points before the merge into Quantitative business. Would you expect the merge and being a new course cause the points demand for the course to fall or stagnate at 580 once more?

I know this is totally opinion based and there is no way to be certain but I'd like to hear people's general opinion on the matter. Thank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 karl10

Points will remain the same as it is the same course as you choose your preferred degree in 1st year and as a result demand will increase if anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a strange one. I'm presuming it's a common entry type course? If that's the case, points will be for Quantative business as opposed to the two seperate courses. For that reason, I'd expect points to decrease but only slightly.

It's a little unfair because somebody might want to do Economics and Finance but end up with Business Analytics which they may have no interest in. I'd imagine most people who put down a first preference and get the points will be accommodated but there may be a few who will be unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's a strange one. I'm presuming it's a common entry type course? If that's the case, points will be for Quantative business as opposed to the two seperate courses. For that reason, I'd expect points to decrease but only slightly.

Do the sums, there are 15 more places for the combined quant business than for E&F last year. If less than 15 people are attracted to a new programme, the points may drop. Conversely, if more than 15 newcomers are attracted, perhaps because there is a vast demand for jobs in this area, the points will not drop.

It's a little unfair because somebody might want to do Economics and Finance but end up with Business Analytics which they may have no interest in. I'd imagine most people who put down a first preference and get the points will be accommodated but there may be a few who will be unlucky.

It is a combined entry, around Easter in first year you will have to finally decide what to do, so nobody will be disappointed, other than those that do not get the very high points. And quant oriented people may find they do have an interest in Business Analytics, they just don't yet know what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

ucdperson wrote: »
    Do the sums, there are 15 more places for the combined quant business than for E&F last year. If less than 15 people are attracted to a new programme, the points may drop. Conversely, if more than 15 newcomers are attracted, perhaps because there is a vast demand for jobs in this area, the points will not drop.

I didn't realise that was the case. I thought there would be more places created by combining the courses but obviously not. As a result, the points will probably stay around the same.
    ucdperson wrote: »
    It is a combined entry, around Easter in first year you will have to finally decide what to do, so nobody will be disappointed, other than those that do not get the very high points. And quant oriented people may find they do have an interest in Business Analytics, they just don't yet know what it is.

But don't students have to indicate their preference on the CAO form? I was under the impression they were starting either degree straight away even though there will probably be a big overlap in modules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

But don't students have to indicate their preference on the CAO form? I was under the impression they were starting either degree straight away even though there will probably be a big overlap in modules.

As the OP said, you can choose Economics & Finance, Business Analytics or No Preference. You can still change either way, but with the latter you do two subjects different in the two degrees, instead of your choice of subjects across UCD, so you can pick either degree seamlessly towards the end of first year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement