Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal charges and the media

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Paulw wrote: »
    Well, considering the OPs initial request of how to bribe or intimidate a journalist to not report the actions of her boyfriend, I am not surprised by her attitude that it is all a victimless crime. :rolleyes:

I'd be curious now to hear/read what happens in court. This thread is certainly generating interest in the trial. :D

I am a bit lost as to why the op is concerned with being associated with a drug dealer when clearly she feels like he is victim of injustice!

Cases like this shows the importance of freedom of the press and I am.glad that there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am shocked at op.

She seems to thinks drugs are ok and dealing of harmful drugs is ok as she seems to think the law is the bad thing.

I really hope you haven't had a child or are planning to as you sound very immature and not at all a good idea to bring children into a drug dealing business that you both are involved in.

Go into any hospital and see them all strung out of their heads. I am guessing you have never been in a childrens hospital where the child is uncontrollably screaming as they are born addicted.

I have absolutely no time for drug dealing scum and op I do hope you grow up and get your act together.

The main reason drugs are so big here is we are surrounded by water and live in a country where it is easily possible to smuggle drugs in.

This won't change untill resources are increased along with specialized drug dogs and more Garda.

I hope its plastered all over the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

13212 wrote: »
    If drug dealers are murderers then so too are bartenders and off licence owners.

Drugs are becoming more and more available even with the increased amount of guards in drug squads. The drug laws have done nothing other than to push drugs into the realm of criminal activity linking them to other crime as well as making them more unsafe as their contents are not regulated.

Much like when alcohol was made illegal and deadly batches with methanol were produced. Also because drugs are taboo people who desperately need help cannot seek it.

I would suggest you read up on the arguments for legalizing certain drugs because I have heard the "drugs are bad" argument enough but I don't think people have looked at the other side.

Looks like someone drank the Koolaid

Is this how your boyfriend explained his criminal behaviour?? Ahh sure I'm no worse than a bartender...

You don't deserve any sympathy or help from posters on here, and if I were you I'd be looking for a new boyfriend with an actual job rather than an upcoming criminal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Possession with intent to supply I assume ?

Can't really recollect the last time a publican walked up to a barman from a pub across the main street and pumped five or six rounds from an illegally held firearm into him. Competing unlicensed narcotics entrepreneurs on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Plenty of people ask the reporter for convictions to be kept out of the local paper. Understandably, in some cases: e.g. a young schoolteacher who had a stupid lapse in judgment by urinating on the street when socializing.

Drugs offences are in a totally different category, especially where supply is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The so called 'war on drugs' is an absolute farce. There is overwhelming evidence that criminalising drugs does more harm than good and several European countries have more advanced strategies for dealing with drug addicts.

As for burglaries, 80% of domestic Dublin burglaries are committed by drug addicts. We could eliminate 8 out of every 10 burglaries by renting a warehouse, giving out free heroin and offering treatment and needle exchange. The scheme would more than likely be cost neutral and socially would certainly prevent much misery.

There is absolutely no reason for cannabis to be illegal.

Cocaine, meh you can argue that either way and tripping balls on LSD is certainly on my bucket list and although is very addictive doesn't seem to have the social problems of heroin.

Almost all of these drugs were commercially available less than 100 years ago.

All that being said OP, and assuming you buy in to my admittedly unique point of view why is the boyfriend not shouting from the roof tops ala Larry Flint about the injustice of it all. While some in here need to get off the high horse the hypocrisy of your position is somewhat laughable.

I was gonna do a hippo joke but the high horse pun will have to suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The so called 'war on drugs' is an absolute farce. There is overwhelming evidence that criminalising drugs does more harm than good and several European countries have more advanced strategies for dealing with drug addicts.

As for burglaries, 80% of domestic Dublin burglaries are committed by drug addicts. We could eliminate 8 out of every 10 burglaries by renting a warehouse, giving out free heroin and offering treatment and needle exchange. The scheme would more than likely be cost neutral and socially would certainly prevent much misery.

There is absolutely no reason for cannabis to be illegal.

Cocaine, meh you can argue that either way and tripping balls on LSD is certainly on my bucket list and although is very addictive doesn't seem to have the social problems of heroin.

Almost all of these drugs were commercially available less than 100 years ago.

All that being said OP, and assuming you buy in to my admittedly unique point of view why is the boyfriend not shouting from the roof tops ala Larry Flint about the injustice of it all. While some in here need to get off the high horse the hypocrisy of your position is somewhat laughable.

I was gonna do a hippo joke but the high horse pun will have to suffice.

While there is certainly an argument for legalising drugs, the fact remains that drugs are currently illegal so when you buy or sell them you willingly contribute to violent crime in Ireland and abroad.

I'm not sure where you got your figure of 8 in 10 burglaries being committed by addicts but I have to question your conclusion that legalising drugs would stop these crimes as you are working under the assumption that the 8 out of 10 people commit crime solely to feed their habit. In my experience, this is not true.

While there is certainly an argument for legalising drugs, the fact remains that drugs are currently illegal so when you buy or sell them you willingly contribute to violent crime in Ireland and abroad.

Of course, however many legal products have the same issue. Diamonds being just one example.
    I'm not sure where you got your figure of 8 in 10 burglaries being committed by addicts but I have to question your conclusion that legalising drugs would stop these crimes as you are working under the assumption that the 8 out of 10 people commit crime solely to feed their habit. In my experience, this is not true.

Crime text book or some article I read, no I'm not going digging the bloody thing out. :pac: The source was Garda statistics IIRC.

Speak to most criminal lawyers and they will tell you the same thing. A heroin addict with a fix is the least dangerous person you're likely to come across. They steal to feed the habit. Many that come out the other side go on to lead productive lives. If they weren't stealing mainly to feed an addiction we'd see loads of reformed heroin addicts breaking into houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A heroin addict with a fix is the least dangerous person you're likely to come across.

But if you're an old age pensioner walking home from the post office on a Friday, a heroin addict desperate for a fix is probably one of the most dangerous people you're likely to meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Drugs are big news. Drug dealers are practically murderers.

Just out of interest, what do you make of the lifting of marijuana prohibition and legislation for recreational use of same taking place in the USA currently?

Are the voters and progressive law makers advocating change all mass murderers?

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter whether you feel drugs should be legalised or not. Point is at the moment, they are illegal.
    That's just the way it is.

OP, even people that get done for having no tax in court have their case reported in local papers. So no, I wouldn't suggest trying to bribe your local reporter!!
    And if your looking for someone to blame for your family and your boyfriends family getting dragged into this, then blame your boyfriend.

coylemj wrote: »
    But if you're an old age pensioner walking home from the post office on a Friday, a heroin addict desperate for a fix is probably one of the most dangerous people you're likely to meet.

All the more reason to see that they're well medicated. My father in law's sister was assaulted there in Dublin on the luas last year. She fell and broke her hip, doing well now thankfullly. Just one of many similar incidents happening daily because of a poorly thought out law and social policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

nm wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what do you make of the lifting of marijuana prohibition and legislation for recreational use of same taking place in the USA currently?

Are the voters and progressive law makers advocating change all mass murderers?

tumbleweed.gif-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I must confess that I checked the court page of my local paper today for the first time in years in case after this thread.

Advertisement