Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honda 15hp outboard advice

Options
  • 01-02-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Honda 15hp 4 stroke
    Hi can anyone give me advice.
    My engine is giving me trouble ,it works fine at speed but when I slow down to a trawling speed it keeps cutting out has anyone had this problem before....
    The engine is like New and only has around 70 hours on it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Get it serviced. Could be anything, dirty fuel, dirty carburettor. If you're anywhere near Headford, Danny in Duffys Hardware is a wizard mechanic for outboards. I get mine serviced by him every year and he does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 loughree39

Cheers for the reply Zzippy I had it in barrel for around an hour tonight and it ran fine I don't know what happend...
    I'll bring it out for an other run this week and see how it goes..

Role on march 1st

Cheers for the reply Zzippy I had it in barrel for around an hour tonight and it ran fine I don't know what happend...
    I'll bring it out for an other run this week and see how it goes..

Role on march 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Is there any trouble starting it? We have a Honda 15hp and it could be a curse to start and would cut out at low throttle. New sparkplug sorted it in mins.

No she starts first time it was jus when I was out on the lake it cut out at trawling speed ,but as I said I had it in a barrel yesterday and it worked fine,I'm a bit stumped it shouldn't need a service after just 70 hours..or should it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

loughree39 wrote: »
    No she starts first time it was jus when I was out on the lake it cut out at trawling speed ,but as I said I had it in a barrel yesterday and it worked fine,I'm a bit stumped it shouldn't need a service after just 70 hours..or should it?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

loughree39 wrote: »

70 hours is a good bit on an outboard, I'd definitely get it serviced. I get mine serviced every year no matter how little I did the year before, might have only 10/20 hours on it between services - I don't troll so it doesn't get as much use as it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I had exactly the same issue on a 6hp yamaha outboard, i hit a big wave on Corrib which gave the boat a fair smack and from then on the engine would not run at idle speed, it was fine from mid throttle up. The issue resolved itself after a day or so running on my own local lake so I put it down to an airlock in the carbs. It is going in for a service next week though so I'll bring it up with the place and see what they say on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It might also be worth checking the prop to see any fishing line is fouling it as the extra strain on the engine can cause it to cut out on low rev's.

Got the problem sorted lads cheers had to change the filter ...I'm go to go for the 1st its good to get these problems out of the way now......

• Advertisement
Advertisement