Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10,000 in the bank and thinking of going to Australia. Am i wasting my money?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi, So I posted this exact thread on after hours having a feeling it'd get a high number of responses and thus some good advice. Thought I'd also post here as the advice is way more likely to be helpful. I'm 24 and disillusioned with life at home. Social life is sh*t as mates are all whipped, weather is ****, hate my job and I love travelling. I have 10k in the bank and am thinking of going on the 1 year Oz working holiday visa.

My plan is to spend a month in Thailand, a country I've been to twice and adore. My spending will be minimal as the previous 2 times I drank way too much. This time i'm there for relaxation, food and gym.

After that I plan to fly to Sydney on 14th March. I've no idea what job I even want over there and that's the part that worries me. I'm going without a real plan of action. I've also heard Sydney is extremely expensive so i'm starting to doubt if I should even start there. Maybe go to the farms and build up more savings doing the fruit picking work?

Or alternatively, maybe I shouldn't go to Australia at all. I had been thinking of going teaching English in Thailand or possibly South Korea but the issue with that plan is that i'm shy as **** and the thought of standing in front of a class right now terrifies me. Another idea would be to just travel around Asia for 4 months and head home. but this obviously wouldn't be much help career-wise.

If anyone has any advice on my situation that'd be nice. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

roro1990 wrote: »
    this obviously wouldn't be much help career-wise.

What is your work experience base?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Darraghgt4

im in the same boat as you mate, did you head away after?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Think very carefully 10k might not go too far out here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Think very carefully 10k might not go too far out here

Depends, if you're on drinking holiday it won't take long to piss it away - should be ok on a working holiday - especially if you get out to the wilds as there won't be much to spend money on -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

roro1990 wrote: »
    Hi, So I posted this exact thread on after hours having a feeling it'd get a high number of responses and thus some good advice. Thought I'd also post here as the advice is way more likely to be helpful. I'm 24 and disillusioned with life at home. Social life is sh*t as mates are all whipped, weather is ****, hate my job and I love travelling. I have 10k in the bank and am thinking of going on the 1 year Oz working holiday visa.

If anyone has any advice on my situation that'd be nice. Cheers

Go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement