Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Static IP and CCTV

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum or if what i am asking is total rubbish but I am in quite a quandary with home security cameras.

My grandmother had CCTV in her house as part of her home care package to allow her to stay at home so we could check in with her during the day. The system says dvrdvs and we view it from an appivms-4500. The system was bought from Northwood security through a contact and was installed by our builder. I spent ages trying to figure out why it wasn't working and it turned out we needed a static ip - I contacted eircom and we got my granny one and all was well.

However, my granny died last week and my mum has moved into the house to avoid leaving it unoccupied. The eircom account was terminated as the bill payer is deceased. My mum transferred her internet and tv up to her house - UPC are her provider and they don't do static ip addresses for non business contracts. We would like keep the cameras going as they are good for home security but does this mean we will have to rejoin eircom to rebuy a static ip or is there a way around this.

After a bit of googling I say something to do with DNSDYNS or something. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With UPC, although its not a static IP it will rarely change.
    Get your public ip address from www.whatismyip.com and use that.
    If you wat a static route to your connection use something like http://dyn.com/dns/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Super thanks KoolKid, I've been driven demented researching things for the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You will need to setup port forwarding on your router aswell to allow access to the network the cameras are installed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Dydns is not free anymore, there is a yearly subscription.. There are still free ones out there if you look hard enough..
    Cant remember them off the top of my head..

Advertisement