Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors want us to remove the cat and dog while they are staying with us

• 02-02-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

The sister of my OH is visiting us from abroad in 2 months with her husband and baby they will be staying for a week with us. My OH told me that she has requested that we remove the animals while they stay with us for the safety of her baby.

The cat and dog are both house pets the cat is never allowed out unless on a lead because we live near a busy road and the dog only goes out to relieve herself and comes straight back in. So basically we would have to board them for the week while they are here, my parents might be able to take the dog but the cat would have to be boarded for sure as mother is not a fan of cats.

I am rather insulted about it and I am tempted to tell her find alternative accomodation, would it be unreasonable of me to do so?

Some opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Your house, your rules. She is the guest, she shouldn't be dictating what goes on in your house, if she doesn't like it she should be staying elsewhere.

An alternative would be her paying for your dog and cat to be boarded somewhere comfortably for the week, you shouldn't fork out a cent to accommodate someone else in your own home.

I probably sound harsh, but it's what I believe.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Is there a reason they are not staying at a hotel? I assume you have been kind enough to offer accommodation to keep their travelling expenses down. I'd be quite insulted to be honest. Offer to find them alternative accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

I wouldn't mind if one of them was allergic to one of the animals but I wouldn't move them just because it's what they want.... Talk to them first and try work something out but at the end of the day it is your house and your pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

just reassure them that your pets will cause no harm to the baby. It's unlikely that the baby will be left alone in their presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I have to say I agree with the above posters, I feel that my doggie is my family and her home is my home. I can understand where your sis in law is coming from with the new baby but if there is no other family members they can stay with, they might be happier and more comfortable in a hotel, ye could have them for dinner etc but why should your pets move house for the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

They have stayed with us before but that was before they had a child and there was no problem but now she claims he could contract something from our filthy animals as she put it!

I am really considering telling them find a hotel but my OH is trying to avoid insulting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Give them the number of a nice hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How dare they. Where are they expecting them to go? Have they offered to pay for boarding? I'd tell them where to go. My pets are family, they stay. Anyone has a problem I can always recommend a nice hotel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Karen91 wrote: »
    she claims he could contract something from our filthy animals as she put it!

Tell her that children who grow up around animals generally develop into adults with a more robust immune system and have a lower chance of developing allergies and asthma.

Proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Did she really say filthy animals? Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Filthy animals she sounds lovely doesn't she, but she insulted you about your animals, That is the animals home whether she likes it or not id tell her if she doesn't want to be near your dog and cat to go to a hotel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If that's how she feels let her stay in a hotel. Wouldnt be too worried about insulting them as they haven't extended the same courtesy to you. The baby is her family, the animals are yours. Let her take her child somewhere else and not inconvenience your family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I am rather insulted about it and I am tempted to tell her find alternative accomodation, would it be unreasonable of me to do so?

There's great value out there, tell us the area and we'll find a nice beast-free hotel at a good price :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd tell them to fuk themselves and send them a link to hotels.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They have stayed with us before but that was before they had a child and there was no problem but now she claims he could contract something from our filthy animals as she put it!

I am really considering telling them find a hotel but my OH is trying to avoid insulting them.

She sounds so incredibly rude. Must make a lovely house guest!

I would say very politely that unfortunately you have no way of removing your pets but you'll understand if they decide to decline your invitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The cat and dog are both house pets the cat is never allowed out unless on a lead because we live near a busy road
    For this reason alone I wouldn't let cat and the OH sisters family be in the same house, in case they "accidently" left the door open.

BTW, how soon after ensuring they had a free room in your house did they start with their demands? And is there other family that they could stay with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just say you have nowhere to put them (the pets that is). They can then decide if they will stay with you or look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

apologise and say "no" explain that they are house pets and would not survive outside.

Unless you can get a friend or relative that likes them to take them for a week. It is a dangerous precedent to set though someone coming for a week and you have get rid of your pets for them it just add to the bother.

Say you thought that your friend could take them but they were ill and the kennels are a rip off keep athe baby and the pets in separate rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Animals are part of your family and they shouldn't be put some where else to accommodate in laws. I wouldn't do it.
    Tbh tell her if she isn't happy to stay with animal and stop being tight and stump up for a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tell her to get stuffed. I wouldn't bother to dress it up either. The animals live there. She does not. Find a hotel if the animals are that filthy...

My friend once asked that I put my cats out when she visited. Told her the same thing. In fairness, she never visited my house again. My cousin and her husband will be coming over soon. They already know to find a hotel, since I will not be putting my dog anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I couldn't imagine sending our dog to kennels or anywhere for that matter just to please someone else. Even if they paid for it I still wouldn't do it. Your sister in law had a real cheek to ask. I would just tell her that they are more than welcome to stay but the dog and cat are going nowhere. It's her choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You could explain to her that your clean domesticated pets would be in danger of picking up an infection from the filthy animal homes she's expecting you to use, so.......sorry, but the cat & dog are staying put.:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tell her to get stuffed. I wouldn't bother to dress it up either. The animals live there. She does not. Find a hotel if the animals are that filthy...

My friend once asked that I put my cats out when she visited. Told her the same thing. In fairness, she never visited my house again. My cousin and her husband will be coming over soon. They already know to find a hotel, since I will not be putting my dog anywhere.

My husband is allergic to cats and can be quite ill for 48 hours after being exposed to them. We ask our friends to put the cats out when we're there and everyone has always been really good about it. I'd have no interest in a friend who'd put the comfort of a cat before the comfort of a person.

Having said that, regarding the OP's sister and her long visit at the OP's home, I think it's absolutely fair to ask her to pay for the kennells. If she won't, then she can just put up with the animals and be grateful.

I am a big believer in having good boundaries but telling a loved one to eff off or get stuffed over an animal makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My husband is allergic to cats and can be quite ill for 48 hours after being exposed to them. We ask our friends to put the catt out when we're there and everyone has always been really good about it. I'd have no interest in a friend who'd put the comfort of a cat before the comfort of a person.

Having said that, regarding the OP's sister and her long visit at the OP's home, I think it's absolutely fair to ask her to pay for the kennells. If she won't, then she can just put up with the animals and be grateful.

I am a big believer in having good boundaries but telling a loved one to eff off or get stuffed over an animal makes no sense to me.

Eh... Are you for real ? The family pets should not be put in a kennel at all. That's there home. The sister should pay for hotel if she doesn't want her baby near the animals, but OP no way should you give in to her demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My response would be. I'm sorry my cat and dog could pick up a nasty infection from your crotch goblin. Any chance you could put it in a pound for the week. Absolutely no way in hell would I put my cat out for anyone. You don't like cats-tough, I do. Your allergic-well then don't call or you'll die cause the cat stays.

Eh... Are you for real ? The family pets should not be put in a kennel at all. That's there home. The sister should pay for hotel if she doesn't want her baby near the animals, but OP no way should you give in to her demands.

Yes, how insane that I think humans take priority over animals. But I'm also saying that if the visiting sister wants the animals gone, she should pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My husband is allergic to cats and can be quite ill for 48 hours after being exposed to them. We ask our friends to put the catt out when we're there and everyone has always been really good about it. I'd have no interest in a friend who'd put the comfort of a cat before the comfort of a person.

If your visiting a house where there is 1 child,1 cat and 1 dog your more likely to catch something from the child than the pets.

ken wrote: »
    If your visiting a house where there is 1 child,1 cat and 1 dog your more likely to catch something from the child than the pets.

And?

I've no concerns about 'catching something' from an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

There is a bit of a difference between visiting someone for an hour or two and a few days. I have hidden my dogs upstairs for a while as my MIL had her friend over who was deathly afraid of dogs, even though mine are these gentle fluffy things, but it's no issue for me having my dogs in a room for an hour or two.

Now, if someone was staying overnight and they didn't want to catch sight of my dogs that would be another story. I would be swiftly mushing them out my front door and wishing them a good night.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement