Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visitors want us to remove the cat and dog while they are staying with us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Tell her to jog on. It's your house, not a hotel. If she wants to dictate, that's what a hotel is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Karen91 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly!

Drame update:
    The SIL called me, of course she knew the OH was gone to work ( I work from home) another hysterical fit except shes blaming the whole thing on me saying I was stopping my OH from seeing his nephew because I am too selfish to remove the filthy animals from the house, she also said I would be better off not having children because I would be putting them at risk of all sorts with animals in the house. She also moaned about the size of the xmas present we sent the baby saying we pumped too much money into the new cat tree. In other words shes saying we should have put the money into a bigger present for her child instead of spending it on a cat tree. Just when I thought there could not be any more surprises to came out with the statement about the christmas present!

My OH is totally mortified by her behaviour.

Did it ever occur to her that not everyone is as interested in her Sprog as she is?

Seriously Karen, she has a child not a bloody permit to be rude. I would also say that your house is no longer a place for her to stay. If she wants to visit then a hotel or Mammy and Daddys are the options in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

SIL's worst nightmare

[IMG][/img]maxresdefault_zpse49dc05e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OPit sounds to me that it's not a case that she thinks you shouldn't have children because of your pets, but that you should remain the childless aunt and uncle so that you can supplement her child's lifestyle in future. I would be very clear that how you spend your money is your business and if you never have children you are going to pi$$ every penny down the crapper on drugs, hookers and booze:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP – your house your rules..tell them to sod off – end of story for me really.

For the posters who think she should accommodate her SIL.. or the fact that there are “just animals” what the issue etc.

what do you think of thissituation… say the OP had a 5 year old, who was boisterous, rough and unruly (and let’s be honest there are loads of bratty kids around)…

and say the SIL was like Iwill only come over if you keep your “child” away from my baby at all times encasehe hurts him (accidents happen all the time as we all know), would this demand be acceptable? Its reasonable isn’t it???

Eh.. no it wouldn’t… because you dare never say anything bad about human family member… but felines and canines are fair game.

Moral of the story EVERY home has different dynamics and if you’re invited to stay then you accept the homeas is it…. Cats .. dogs and all…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Between the SIL and the MIL I'm so glad you are standing up for yourself and your pets OP.

I don't think it's just superiority, I think it's insecurity and looking to have competition (edit: and not just on a personal level, but maybe financially insecure and jealous of you, for example). It sounds to me like she is a bit jealous of you and nit picking at everything to have an all out war with you. Perhaps there is indeed truth in what Neyite and others have suggested that there may be more to this than a row about the pets.

However, I don't think there's much that you can do; whatever drama is being played out between your inlaws and the unhappiness between your brother, sister in law and her parents I think you, your OH and your pets are just a convenient target and excuse to assign blame, in a situation that actually has nothing really to do with you. After reading through the updates it reads as though they're just dragging you into an old row between themselves and trying to involve you in it as the ones to blame for it, rather than dealing with it like adults.

Your SIL could of course stay with her own parents but they can't because of the unhappiness between them all and rather than actually acknowledge and deal with it, they have created this rather unnecessary drama. And you are "ruining" their plan to not deal with the actual issues between them by not complying and not making it easy for them, by not getting rid of the pets and by not paying for kennels and by not paying them accommodation and by not flying out their MIL. You're actually forcing them to either stay in a stand off or for either of the party to be the bigger person and ask/offer to stay at her parents.

Whatever happens, you are not to blame and not responsible for the situation if there's further falling out between your OH and SIL or SIL and MIL or wider family members. I think your SIL will try her best to fall out with you and burn her bridges and certainly won't be the one to swallow her pride and apologise for what she has said so far, neither will the MIL. I think you should probably ignore further communications from your SIL as it seems like she is trying to provoke a reaction from you and paint herself a victim even further. Stand your ground though, I'd only go as far as welcome to visit but not to stay and the pets are staying right where they are, in their home. If you give an inch, they'll take a mile and will be forever be used as the excuse and someone to blame to avoid them all dealing with actual issues between themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'd kidnap the baby and lock in it a room of cats and send her the video recording of it at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Sorry if this has been answered before and I missed it - but where are the SIL's hubby's family in all this? Could they not stay with his parents or siblings either? Why's it all suddenly on the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've no animals (renting) or any kids....

but you'd swear the dog was a huge saint Bernard and the cat was a tiger the way the SIL is reacting.....! my God!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mdwexford wrote: »
    I'd kidnap the baby and lock in it a room of cats and send her the video recording of it at this stage.

Jeez folks,
    I know this is meant in jest, but this sort of posting really needs to be reeled in. I think the SiL's behaviour speaks for itself without anyone here losing the run of themselves too.
    Take it easy folks. Really.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Your SIL would not like this relationship, so. (I think it's the cutest thing ever!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Any chance You can post a pic of the cat tree, sounds awesome.

Back to the thread, well done for sticking to your guns. My animals are my family and they take priority over 99% of the people I know. If people don't get that then tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

This is just nuts. I wouldn't put my pets into kennels in these circumstances either. Different if some one was fearful or allergic to pets but this is not the case here.

OP either your SIL is
    a) a spoilt child who never grew up or
    b) is suffering from some form of mental health issues or
    c) is someone who when in a hole keeps digging -

If a) just keep clear as you cant change their personality.
    If b) I have some sympathy but you cant dealt with it from miles away - that's a matter for her partner.
    If c) You will probably get more calls. She may at some level realise that asking you to put your pets in a kennels at your expenses to accommodate her was wrong but rather than admit it or see it from your point of view decides to keep throwing stuff at you to make you feel in the wrong. She will be looking for a reaction or even a justification for her actions e.g. threats to cancel the whole trip etc. Just stay calm and say that you wont be putting your pets in kennels, you absolutely respect that she is looking out for her child so if she prefers to stay elsewhere or not to come over well that a decision she will have to make herself, and you will be looking forward to seeing her and her family later on.

There is nothing more infuriating to unreasonable people than dealing with a reasonable person. They just keep trying to get a rise of the reasonable person. Don't rise to the bait - practice smiling when you are talking to her - it helps keeps.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a fascinating story but everyone is just repeating what pretty much everyone else in this thread has already said.

At this stage I'm just skipping on to the op's posts.
    OP, please do keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

While my SIL was never hysterical like this before she was always the type of person who was full of herself the I am better than everyone attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

While my SIL was never hysterical like this before she was always the type of person who was full of herself the I am better than everyone attitude!

Ha she sounds like a child herself, screaming and throwing a tantrum because she didn't get he way

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I feel sorry for the oh, you're causing tension now between him and his sister. maybe he wanted to spend proper time with his sister and new family member. I'm assuming he was OK with the pets being removed from the equation to do this of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I feel sorry for the oh, you're causing tension now between him and his sister. maybe he wanted to spend proper time with his sister and new family member. I'm assuming he was OK with the pets being removed from the equation to do this of course

His sister is the one causing tension not the OP

my OH was not happy to remove our family members from their home to suit his sister. My OH does not blame me at all, he is embarrassed by his sisters behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have you read the OPs posts properly?

Her OH has never been in agreement to remove their pets to accommodate his sisters demands.

The OPs other half has been described by the OP as "mortified by his sisters behaviour"

Their mother is cut from the same cloth as the OPs SIL, she wants her trip to be paid for because her daughter threw a hissy fit and refused to come over because her brother wouldn't remove his "filthy animals" for the duration of their freeloading visit.

The OPs SIL won't stay with her own parents as her husband doesn't get on with her father.

The SIL has also now made a few nasty comments about how the OP should grow up and have a baby and just get rid of the pets. She also has made a catty (pun intended!) comment regarding the size of the Christmas present that the OP and her OH bought their new nephew. How dare they spend money on a cat tree and not spend hundreds on her child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I kind of wish I'd bought a cat tree for our cat for Christmas now after reading this thread. My 19 month old and the cat would have great craic swinging out of it together and causing mayhem!

When the baba was smaller me, him and the cat used to curl up for naps together and I'm not joking they were some of the happiest moments of my life! I must be a terrible mother allowing my filthy animal near the baby :rolleyes:

OP - it really sounds like there are some deeper issues with your SIL's mental health post partum and also her relationship with her husband and family. The elephant in the room is surely the fact that due to her husband and father she can't come home and stay with her parents. That is so weird and a much bigger issue than you having pets and all this crap surely. How can your MIL demand you pay for her to go to Germany instead of sorting out the problems in her family? The mind boggles

I too, have crazy in-laws though so I know how hard it can be!

That's a mighty big assumption you're making there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭purplesnack

This thread is crazy!
    It's the SIL's child I feel sorry for. He/she will never know the joy it is to grow up with a pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Good on you Karen, and your OH, for sticking to your guns. You've saved yourself a lifetime of grief. Now in particular, since she has gotten very catty to you (ironic!) she's only given you reason not to ever accommodate her again - I don't know what she hopes to achieve by telling you you're better off not having children, how horrible. If that's how she treats you then why would you ever want her in your house.

I hope this is the end of the drama for you!

My OH contacted the SIL last night, he was not happy that she contacted me yesteday. She does not seem to think there is anything wrong with how she behaved, he said she owed us an apology and her response was she has nothing to apologise for she has done nothing wrong, so he has decided to cut contact with her.

My OH contacted the SIL last night, he was not happy that she contacted me yesteday. She does not seem to think there is anything wrong with how she behaved, he said she owed us an apology and her response was she has nothing to apologise for she has done nothing wrong, so he has decided to cut contact with her.

That is terribly sad, but to be honest, your OH's family sounds toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I agree that his family sounds toxic and a bit mad, but I'd be trying to dissuade him from cutting contact with his family. It will only escalate.
    Reduce contact maybe, opt out of the madness when needs be but I definitely wouldn't be making statements about cutting contact. It's a hard place to come back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

she also said I would be better off not having children because I would be putting them at risk of all sorts with animals in the house.

Your SiL is quite correct in this regard. One simply cannot turn on the news anymore without hearing yet another story of children at risk from animals in the house. Why, only yesterday I heard tell of a goldfish who held a family at knifepoint. And did you hear about the cat who was selling drugs to minors? With risks such as these, I think the only sensible solution is for us all to stop procreating altogether. Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children???

I'm reading this thread for entertainment while feeding my baby with a dog on either side of me on the couch, taking zero notice. I'm sure your SiL would have a field day if she saw me :D I can understand some people are sensitive about animals and children, but your SiL is under no obligation to stay with you, much less demand you change your lifestyle for her. And you are under no obligation to have to justify your choices in your home to anyone else. The problem here lies with her and from what you've said there are clearly other issues at play so don't take it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Probably best not to cut contact, but say that you are sorry they do not want to stay with you and that you'll meet up with them when they come to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

1331092562383_8699909.png

My BIL and his girlfriend are down from Dublin for the weekend and they were in Germany two weeks ago and while they were there they visited my SIL. He thinks theres somehing up with my SIL and the husband, when they visited there was tension between my SIL and her husband, they left after an hour because they felt uncomfortable. I only heard about it this morning. Hes going saying it to his parents anyway to see if they can get some information out of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My BIL and his girlfriend are down from Dublin for the weekend and they were in Germany two weeks ago and while they were there they visited my SIL. He thinks theres somehing up with my SIL and the husband, when they visited there was tension between my SIL and her husband, they left after an hour because they felt uncomfortable. I only heard about it this morning. Hes going saying it to his parents anyway to see if they can get some information out of her.

Good to have confirmation that your suspicions were correct and that its not your prob and there's larger issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 EllieMay1969

I couldn't read all the posts as there are so many.

What I have to say has been said, but I will repeat it. Your house, your rules, your pets go to kennells when you say for your convenience (ie going on holidays) not for anybody else. We wouldn't be fostering our children out to suit somebody else so why will we do it to our pets.

Your SIL needs to be realistic and cop on to herself. If she was to stay with you she only needs to keep a close eye on her baby, this is something mothers and fathers do all the time anyway.

I have 2 daughters with asthma, one sever and one mild. Being around animals would trigger their asthma, but they had inhalers to deal with it and while they were young we didn't have animals of our own but we never stopped them going to places with animals. They even stayed with my brother and he always had dogs. But he made decisions to limit the girls with the dogs for the gilrs sake, not because I told him to. I didn't even ask him to make changes, afterall he was doing me a favour minding my girls when I needed him.

Your SIL should realise that you are doing her a favour letting her stay in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Seen this and thought it might be welcome here. Compared to this a dog and cat are hypoallergenic.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/13-horrible-things-that-happen-to-your-body-while-flying-on-a-plane-661154.html

13 horrible things that happen to your body while flying on a plane

While rising above the clouds to your favourite destinations might seem the best thing that could happen to you, for your body it’s not so much fun.
    And here are a few rather scary reasons why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

OP at this stage its becoming obvious that there is a bigger issue underling your SIL actions. Stick to your guns on this, but try not take what she is saying to heart, because she is clearly being irrational. I would not bother trying to contact her again about this but do not cut her completely out of your lives yet and hopefully she will come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

I'll probably get bashed for this but I think this post is a bit sad, to be honest.

In difficult situations I always ask myself "Do I want to be right, or do I want to be happy?" and thankfully the answer is usually "Happy". Being "right" isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

The OP was "right" and stood her ground, but look at the situation now. A big family fall out, a baby who may grow up not knowing his relations, and very upset grandparents. As you said, the SILs marriage may be in difficulty, yet now, at a time when she needs family and support, this has happened.

I think that it would have been better to choose the outcome that would make people (i.e. the 2 legged type) happy, even if it meant not being "right".

Also with questions like this, it may be better to post in a different discussion area. People on the pets and animals forum are animal lovers, often extremely so, and are more likely to back up an animal lover above a non-animal lover. SIL obviously isn't so (and this doesn't make her a bad person, she just has different taste to most other posters on this forum). It might be been good to get perspective from a regular, less biased cross section of society.

Anyway, hope it all gets patched up some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Can't throw a tantrum and expect others to pander to it, tbh. Where does it stop? would the op really be "happy" being dictated to in her own home? Your home is your castle. You go there to escape the madness elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pinkbear wrote: »
    I'll probably get bashed for this but I think this post is a bit sad, to be honest.

In difficult situations I always ask myself "Do I want to be right, or do I want to be happy?" and thankfully the answer is usually "Happy". Being "right" isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

The OP was "right" and stood her ground, but look at the situation now. A big family fall out, a baby who may grow up not knowing his relations, and very upset grandparents. As you said, the SILs marriage may be in difficulty, yet now, at a time when she needs family and support, this has happened.

I think that it would have been better to choose the outcome that would make people (i.e. the 2 legged type) happy, even if it meant not being "right".

Also with questions like this, it may be better to post in a different discussion area. People on the pets and animals forum are animal lovers, often extremely so, and are more likely to back up an animal lover above a non-animal lover. SIL obviously isn't so (and this doesn't make her a bad person, she just has different taste to most other posters on this forum). It might be been good to get perspective from a regular, less biased cross section of society.

So let everyone walk all over you and put your happiness aside is what you're telling the OP. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

It's not about being right and neither is it about pets. It's about not being bullied in your own home. If someone attempted to dictate to me in this manner I wouldn't be letting them away with it just for an easy time. There's compromise and there's being taken for a mug. The OP was offering her home for her family to stay in. This doesn't mean she has to change things for them. If her lifestyle is something they don't like or agree with, the options are perfectly clear. Stay elsewhere or stay with the OP but follow her rules. If nothing else, why should she be out of pocket for putting her pets in kennels just to save the visitors some money? If someone wanted to stay with you but didn't agree with using leather, would you happily replace your couch for them? If someone wanted to stay with you but didn't like the colour of the paint in the spare room and demanded you repaint it, would you? If people could stop seeing it as 'she's putting pets above a baby", I think opinions would be a little different. The SIL is the one completely in the wrong here. Granted she may have some other issues going on in her personal life but don't we all? The SIL is the one who is risking her son not knowing some of his family, not the OP.

pinkbear wrote: »

I posted this on the pet forum because I wanted the opinion of other pet owners, I am well aware of the response I would get from non pet lovers.

If her marriage is in difficulty I really do sympathise with her but I only heard about that today. No she is not an animal lover and nobody here said it makes her a bad person, but she cannot tell people what to do in their own home. But I am starting to agree with other posters when they suggested she picked the argument to avoid coming over here, maybe she is trying to hide this problem with her husband from the rest of us.

As the childs mother she is the one who has put her son at risk of not knowing members of his family, not me and not my OH.

My FIL is contacting her this evening to see if he can get to the bottom of whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its quite simple to me, for any responsible person when you take on any animal, it becomes part of the family.

For someone to come into my home and ask me to remove a member of my family......... that would take some brass neck and would be crossing the line severely. Its not even necessary to make a big deal out of it, your house your rules. Plenty of hotels and B&Bs in every part of the country they can stay in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - if there's tension there or not stay out of it, after everything else this would just be the icing on the cake if she thought you were stirring things for her.

As to your call regarding your pets - spot on.
    I would have made the exact same call.
    My two dogs are part of my family, this is their home. People are welcome to visit but they have no right to dictate to me that members of my family must leave or stay elsewhere. I will take steps if someone is scared (they usually are) but it is short term keeping them separated but nothing beyond that and only for an hour or two...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

As child i was hospitalised with asthma because i stayed in a house with a cat for a few days.

To this day i cant be anywhere near them or my breathing goes to pot and my throat swells up..the same is true to a lesser extent with dogs.

No house where somebody keeps cats is ever going to be completely free of cat hair and often the smell from a litter tray alone is enough to cause asthma in people who are prone to it.

Personally i think cats are disgusting selfish,smelly creatures and the owners are immune to the smell and the fluff so it tends not to bother them.

Fine and dandy.,,i hate cats.

BUT..i would never ask or demand somebody gets rid of a cat so i can stay in the house in comfort.

Nor would i aske somebody to board a dog elsewhere just to suit me..i simply would stay somewhere else and do everybody a favour.

Cats and dogs *are* filthy animals but it takes a special sort of prig to say that to somebody who's letting you stay in thier house.

Mod edit: You don't get to come into the Animals and Pets forum and refer in that way to ANY pet animals.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

chopper6 wrote: »
    As child i was hospitalised with asthma because i stayed in a house with a cat for a few days.

To this day i cant be anywhere near them or my breathing goes to pot and my throat swells up..the same is true to a lesser extent with dogs.

No house where somebody keeps cats is ever going to be completely free of cat hair and often the smell from a litter tray alone is enough to cause asthma in people who are prone to it.

Personally i think cats are disgusting selfish,smelly creatures and the owners are immune to the smell and the fluff so it tends not to bother them.

BUT..i would never ask or demand somebody gets rid of a cat so i can stay in the house in comfort.

Nor would i aske somebody to board a dog elsewhere just to suit me..i simply would stay somewhere else and do everybody a favour.

Cats and dogs *are* filthy animals but it takes a special sort of prig to say that to somebody who's letting you stay in thier house.

Majority of cats and dogs that I know do not smell. Your asthma attacks have basically ****ed your nose. I have 2 working sheepdogs inside, out in mud and **** everyday and believe they do not smell as I wash them and their beds weekly.

Majority of cats and dogs that I know do not smell. Your asthma attacks have basically ****ed your nose. I have 2 working sheepdogs inside, out in mud and **** everyday and believe they do not smell as I wash them and their beds weekly.

You see you're the one with the "****ed nose".

If you live with a background smell for long enough you fail to notice it..a visitor to your house might think differently.

Cats are very clean animals I have no idea what you are talking about, as long as the litter tray is cleaned out regularly it does not smell. Yes cats shed but as long as you hoover frequently its not a problem.

Any of the dogs I know do not smell. My own dog DOES NOT SMELL the amount of time and work that is put into maintaining her coat is huge. I brush her 40 minutes every evening she is groomed professionally every 6 to 8 weeks and I was her in between also. Her teeth are brushed regularly shes fed dry food so there is no smell from her breath. Its very insulting as a responsible pet owner who invests a lot of time and money in their pets to be told by someone that they are filthy. Generally that someone has no idea what they are talking about.

Saying that cats and dogs are filthy and smelly and so on is the far from the truth pets that are groomed and cared for properly are not filthy and smelly.

Cats are very clean animals I have no idea what you are talking about, as long as the litter tray is cleaned out regularly it does not smell. Yes cats shed but as long as you hoover frequently its not a problem.

Any of the dogs I know do not smell. My own dog DOES NOT SMELL the amount of time and work that is put into maintaining her coat is huge. I brush her 40 minutes every evening she is groomed professionally every 6 to 8 weeks and I was her in between also. Her teeth are brushed regularly shes fed dry food so there is no smell from her breath. Its very insulting as a responsible pet owner who invests a lot of time and money in their pets to be told by someone that they are filthy. Generally that someone has no idea what they are talking about.

Saying that cats and dogs are filthy and smelly and so on is the far from the truth pets that are groomed and cared for properly are not filthy and smelly.

Where does the dog excrete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Op you made the right call, it's your home, your rules. My two dogs live indoors and although they love the garden, they won't stay out there without us (always have to be in on the action typical border collies!)

Also there is nothing as bad as an unwanted guest sharing your home - I'm not saying your SIL would be unwanted but this demand isn't the best of starts - you could end up completely falling out if other demands were made!

Where does the dog excrete?

Outside!!! Why where do you think dogs excrete?

People house train their dogs you know, she lets me know when she wants to go out to go to the toilet.

I have an awful SIL (what is it about them!) And she too is allergic to cats. I have 3! She never visits, and the days of her dropping her kids off unannounced for us to mind are over, happy days!
    I just wish I had got my precious cats sooner

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement