Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Dropbox 1TB/€10 PM - Worth It

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I want to upgrade my dropbox account from the usual 2.5BG to 1TB for €10 PM. I'm just wondering if it is worth the money.
    I'll be storing all sorts up there like music,video,documents college assignments and code.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you have a Samsung smart phone?
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and when I installed Dropbox on my phone, they gave me an extra 50Gb for free, plus an extra 3Gb if you enable camera backups/uploads.

I don't like the idea of paying €120 a year for Dropbox.
    Especially when you can get a 2TB USB 3 External drive here for €92.07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I don't like the idea of paying €120 a year for Dropbox.
    Especially when you can get a 2TB USB 3 External drive here for €92.07.

You can't really compare an online backup service to an external hard drive.

There are cons for both:

What if you damage the hard drive? Cost of recovering could be minimal or could be 000s if there's important stuff. What if you need access to the data but you've left it at home? Or worse, lost it.

What if Dropbox goes out of business? What if somebody gains access to your account and deletes your data?

At least present the full picture if you're going to make an argument over not paying for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

New build is buggy for many people and theyve been slow to resole it. I'd be slow to pay for DB at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Kinet1c wrote: »
    At least present the full picture if you're going to make an argument over not paying for a service.

Not paying for a service is different to not using the service.
    I don't subscribe to boards either.

I was asking if they had a Samsung phone, or maybe even someone in their household does and doesn't require DropBox.
    Then they could get 50Gb FREE from DropBox.

Just install the app, login with their DropBox details, get 50Gb added to your account and then uninstall Dropbox from the phone (if it's not their phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They've discontinued that 50gb bonus space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

On a windows pc do you still have to put everything in a single "dropbox" folder? Not being able to choose which folders to back up is what put me off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not targetted as a backup solution - it's a cloud storage solution. You could use a scripted or third party app to backup critical folders to it easily enough though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At that price I'd just go with Office 365 personal. It's gives you the same storage (soon to be upgraded to unlimited storage if it hasn't already), all the Office applications and it's cheaper too. You could go with Office 365 Home for the same price as dropbox and split the cost with a friend or two. It's a no brainer.

Advertisement