Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how far is the sea in Sandymount strand?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I was walking in dublin today and ended up in Sandymount strand, I was walking for a long time but no water anywhere! because it was so cold I just walked back. but how many meters is it from the road to really the sea? I was I think way over 500 meters but I couldn't see any water anywhere! anyone ever walked the complete way to the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - you'll get a better response here in Dublin City forum. (Moved from East.)

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Asmooh wrote: »
    I was walking in dublin today and ended up in Sandymount strand, I was walking for a long time but no water anywhere! because it was so cold I just walked back. but how many meters is it from the road to really the sea? I was I think way over 500 meters but I couldn't see any water anywhere! anyone ever walked the complete way to the water?

the tide was out - when the tide is in the water comes all the way up to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

loyatemu wrote: »
    the tide was out - when the tide is in the water comes all the way up to the wall.

ohhhh that explains why I couldn't find the water, was a bit far.
    Maybe next time I go there it's normal again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a difficult thing to measure as it's dependant on tides, time, where you measure from etc.. The term 'foreshore' is a measure from the highest tide of the year to the lowest tide mark of the year and I've seen the foreshore of Sandymount Strand quoted as up to 1.5km.
    Take care if you go out looking for the low tide mark, you might need to be fleet of foot as the water can come back in a bit quicker than you imagine.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's a difficult thing to measure as it's dependant on tides, time, where you measure from etc.. The term 'foreshore' is a measure from the highest tide of the year to the lowest tide mark of the year and I've seen the foreshore of Sandymount Strand quoted as up to 1.5km.
    Take care if you go out looking for the low tide mark, you might need to be fleet of foot as the water can come back in a bit quicker than you imagine.

Ahh I understand :) I tough it was always like that, but now I understand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful, as the rising tide can cut you off. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,720005,732320,4,1

Advertisement