Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottle gas heating

• 02-02-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend an efficient and aesthetically pleasing heating system for my duplex? Thinking of bottled gas systems. Which one to use?

I'm finding the electric/storage systems are costing me a small fortune and hope to change to bottle gas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JOSman wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend an efficient and aesthetically pleasing heating system for my duplex? Thinking of bottled gas systems. Which one to use?

I'm finding the electric/storage systems are costing me a small fortune and hope to change to bottle gas.

Have you access to natural gas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi Dtp1979.

There is no natural gas in the complex. I using storage heaters but these are proving to be very expensive to run.
    What I'm looking for is an aesthetically pleasing and efficient system to heat the apartment, but I also hope to use the electrics.

I wast to complement both systems.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi Dtp1979.

There is no natural gas in the complex. I using storage heaters but these are proving to be very expensive to run.
    What I'm looking for is an aesthetically pleasing and efficient system to heat the apartment, but I also hope to use the electrics.

Thanks all.

It'd cost a lot to put gas in. Do you have a night rate electricity meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi Dtp1979.

Thanks all.

Well its case of aesthetics versus economics A big (red) cylinder will cost you the guts of €200.00 to buy. A fill of gas will cost another €80.00. To get it piped into your gaff and attached to your heater(s) will cos another €500.00, including the cost of the heater(s). Most of the foregoing are one-off costs. Your variable will be how long the gas lasts. Cost all that against what you already have. Talk to a gas installer if you can, to get a more accurate indication of installation costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Can you improve the insulation or air tightness at all? Electric heating can be expensive alright, but if you control it's use, and the heat losses, you might be able to get away witt using it...

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

The apartment is very warm up until 4 or 5 and then it starts to get cold. Night rate doesn't kick in until about 11pm.

I'm looking for something on the line of a superser, is there a difference be models, efficiency etc.

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think there is much difference between models, but other people will chime in.

I would check the master lease for the apartment. I would be surprised if the use of gas heaters is permitted.

There are other safety issues that others will be able to better brief you on. Most importantly, in a modern building, you have to have a window open for ventilation.

Have you tried keeping the vents on the storage heaters closed until 5pm?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not checked it recently, as things have been changing in recent months, but a while back, bottled gas for a super ser was the most expensive energy source out there, so the economy of gas may not be as good as it first appears, it's around the same price as peak electric, and if those were the only factors, then using electric will be better than using gas.

There's also the issue of ventilation, and condensation to be considered, the ventilation is fundamental, for safety, and the condensation from a super ser will be problematic.

It would be worth checking the air tightness of the rooms that you use most, and then also investigating the options on the existing electric heating to see if it can be changed to vary the use of the heat that's stored.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thanks for all your replies.

Instead of gas, what about investing in something like this;

http://www.farho.co.uk/index.php?id=8

They are expensive, would they be worth it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Cost per kw would be no better than your humble two bar heater. The rest is just fancy controls.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement