Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLAN amplifier

Options
  • 02-02-2015 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Since Christmas there are three more devices running off my wifi. Sometimes when everybody is on at the same time the signal slows down. I saw one of these advertised in Lidl and was wondering would this solve my problem or would I need a more modern router?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=19940

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, your issue sounds entirely like bandwidth congestion, meaning you need a faster internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks for the fast reply.

That could be it. I'm in a rural area so just getting 5-7 mb on an eircom/vodafone line. Any devices connected would all be close enough to the router and there's no thick walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

The WIFI extenders - do increase the wifi range - but seriously reduce the speed as, by relaying the messages back- they make the WIFI twice as congested.

You could run two wifi routers though - I do - the second one connected via a ethernet cable to the main one - and it works very well - fast and range extended.

Quick fix would be to try a different WIFI channel on the router so its not same as your neighbour.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Look up a program called inSSIDer, it will give you an indication on what devices are on what frequency, might enable you to alter yours for a better connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Also, make sure none of your devices is old enough to only have 802.11g wifi. If you connect one of these to a 802.11n router, ALL connected devices will be forced to run at 802.11g (which is, admittedly, a max of 54Mbps)

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Also, make sure none of your devices is old enough to only have 802.11g wifi. If you connect one of these to a 802.11n router, ALL connected devices will be forced to run at 802.11g (which is, admittedly, a max of 54Mbps)
    The router is a few years old. It's just b and g. The devices would be 2 new android tablets 2 iphone 4s and sometimes a laptop. My own laptop is always plugged into the router with a network cable.

It's normally not an issue but now and again if two people are on youtube at the same time, it slows down loading of sites for other people. Usually me.

durtybit wrote: »
    Look up a program called inSSIDer, it will give you an indication on what devices are on what frequency, might enable you to alter yours for a better connection.
    Thanks . I'll try that later,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're in a rural area its very unlikely there'll be many, if any, other networks nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply.

That could be it. I'm in a rural area so just getting 5-7 mb on an eircom/vodafone line. Any devices connected would all be close enough to the router and there's no thick walls.

I doubt wifi improvements will help you at all. The problem lies with your WAN connection, one youtube stream will consume 4Mb+, you only have 7 to go around between a few people.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

When I say rural I should have said small village. But it's still being served by an old eircom line. By using the inssid er app, it told me three of my neighbours are on channel 11 and two others are on 1 and 2. It seems I have ch6 all to myself.

I did a speed test today and and i'm only getting 4mb. So the upshot of it all is, until such time as they up the speed it's all the same what's being downloaded.

On the bright side, I saved 25 quid so thanks again folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement