Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So was considering buying a Scuf controller anyone ever use one?

• 02-02-2015 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭

So basically I play a lot of COD Multiplayer I'm currently working my way through Prestige 11 and my preferred game mode is Kill confirmed and my game type is Run and Gun.
    Been doing a bit of reading on these hyper expensive Scuf controllers and the idea of mapping the X and O buttons to two bottom paddles so that I don't have to take my thumb off the thumbsticks sounds useful.
    Things putting me off (other then the price) is the DualShock 4's Scuff seems to be a pretty poor build quality based on some of the youtube videos I've seen.
    So do any of my fellow COD boardies own a Scuf for the xbox one or PS4 or even for the last generation consoles and what are your opinions on them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Really would depend on how much you play FPS games and how competitive you are. Mainly , they are used for corner jumping to keep aim alot more stable but you can also use the claw controller technique for that too.

The build quality of them is grand, cheaper option and similiar quality would be SharQ controllers, you can also send in your controller to SharQ for a big cost reduction on the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

cheers for the info! Have you used either of these controllers? I must look into the SharQ ones as they are cheaper then the Scuf ones.
    Just ordered some Kontrol Freeks getting two sets, the Vortex and the cqc's. Have to say I do play a hell of a lot of COD and when I hit max prestige I'll probably head back to Destiny.

cheers for the info! Have you used either of these controllers? I must look into the SharQ ones as they are cheaper then the Scuf ones.

Have used both as well as JMODS controllers and my preference is JMODS because of where the buttons are located but the buttons over time stick. The fins on SharQs are a fair natural feel to them, never really liked playing with a Scuff tbh.

One thing they won't do is make you play like a "pro" , they will give you the ability to have a steadier aim when jumping around corners but if you aim is medium to start with there is nothing a controller will do to help

lol yeah I know it won't make me a better player I play with tactical button layouts so I always fail in a knife battle, just liked the idea of making full use of my fingers, to give me a slight advantage in knife battles. Think from a PS4 point of view the Sharq look better built controllers as I've seen some of the Scuf 4PS controllers with paint chipping off them and the bottom and top case having a fairly sizable gap between in around the headphone socket, which is shoddy for such an expensive controller. JMOD's don't seem to do PS4 controllers, they sound like the cinch gaming controller http://cinchgaming.com/custom_ps4.php

lol yeah I know it won't make me a better player I play with tactical button layouts so I always fail in a knife battle, just liked the idea of making full use of my fingers, to give me a slight advantage in knife battles. Think from a PS4 point of view the Sharq look better built controllers as I've seen some of the Scuf 4PS controllers with paint chipping off them and the bottom and top case having a fairly sizable gap between in around the headphone socket, which is shoddy for such an expensive controller. JMOD's don't seem to do PS4 controllers, they sound like the cinch gaming controller http://cinchgaming.com/custom_ps4.php

They would be similar in terms of button layouts and mods alright yea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I have a scuf 4ps since release last year and i love it, could not imagine playing without it now. With the ability to double jump in aw, it is a huge advantage to be able to aim and jump at the same time, it helps win a lot more gun fights. I use a kontrol freek on the right stick and a rubber cover for the left to prevent the worn down rubber that the controller is liable to.
    The learning curve is very steep though, it will take a month or 2 to be fully comfortable using it

Simply Red wrote: »
    I have a scuf 4ps since release last year and i love it, could not imagine playing without it now. With the ability to double jump in aw, it is a huge advantage to be able to aim and jump at the same time, it helps win a lot more gun fights. I use a kontrol freek on the right stick and a rubber cover for the left to prevent the worn down rubber that the controller is liable to.
    The learning curve is very steep though, it will take a month or 2 to be fully comfortable using it

What's the build quality like? Any gap in casing around the headset socket?

What's the build quality like? Any gap in casing around the headset socket?
    Yes there is a gap around the socket, i think its to accommodate for the extra room needed inside the controller, but so far anyways theres no complaints from me. Ill take a few pics tomorrow and upload side by side with a regular ds4 so you can see the difference

4D6ViT.jpg

5YsQfR.jpg

8qZLmH.jpg

Lads do you use trigger stops on your controllers? Sharq offer either trigger stops or a new instant targeting system (ITS) which basically makes the triggers like bumpers (2mm reaction), any thoughts and comments welcomed

• Advertisement

I play on tactical flipped so i use r1 and l1 for aiming and shooting, so didnt bother with trigger stops as theyd be a waste of money

I play on tactical flipped so i use r1 and l1 for aiming and shooting, so didnt bother with trigger stops as theyd be a waste of money

Ok I'm sold on scufjust wondering did you order off the scuf EU site which is based in the UK and did your controller ship from the UK or the U.S.? Just wondering as if it's the US then I'd have to pay import tax on it. I'm also considering buying from limexbuk who have them in stock but you can't configure them.
    Thanks

Ok I'm sold on scufjust wondering did you order off the scuf EU site which is based in the UK and did your controller ship from the UK or the U.S.? Just wondering as if it's the US then I'd have to pay import tax on it. I'm also considering buying from limexbuk who have them in stock but you can't configure them.
    Thanks
    EU site + parcel motel works out the best.
    That limexbuk site looks like theyre £15-£20 dearer than buying directly from scuf

EU site + parcel motel works out the best.
    That limexbuk site looks like theyre £15-£20 dearer than buying directly from scuf

Can you recall if there was any american post mark on it? I'd be using parcel motel as well but if it did ship from US and there was any customs due parcel motel wouldn't accept it.

Can you recall if there was any american post mark on it? I'd be using parcel motel as well but if it did ship from US and there was any customs due parcel motel wouldn't accept it.

Honestly can't remember but they'd have to ship from the uk or there'd be zero point in having an eu site set up? Maybe fire them off an email before ordering to be certain

Honestly can't remember but they'd have to ship from the uk or there'd be zero point in having an eu site set up? Maybe fire them off an email before ordering to be certain

Yeah I think they do ship from UK as they offer less designs then the U.S. Think I'm going for the same one you got because of the weak euro any extras bring the cost up to nearly €160 for a controller, I'll stick my Vortex control Freeks on them and I'm all set, I take it you were waiting a couple of weeks for them, hopefully I'll get it in 2-3 weeks.
    One final question did you use PayPal or credit card to pay them? Any hassle putting in the parcel motel address in Belfast with a billing address in the south?

Yeah i couldnt justify paying extra for a different colour when ill be the only one looking at it, makes no sense. I paid by paypal and had no trouble with parcel motel, took six weeks for me but thats because i got in on a pre-order. id be very surprised if it took longer than 2 weeks to arrive. Enjoy it and give yourself plenty of time to adjust, its a big change, let us know how you get on

oh and dont forget the 5% discount code, any pro players name will get you the discount

Yeah i couldnt justify paying extra for a different colour when ill be the only one looking at it, makes no sense. I paid by paypal and had no trouble with parcel motel, took six weeks for me but thats because i got in on a pre-order. id be very surprised if it took longer than 2 weeks to arrive. Enjoy it and give yourself plenty of time to adjust, its a big change, let us know how you get on

oh and dont forget the 5% discount code, any pro players name will get you the discount

Yeah I'll use Drift0r as I like his YouTube videos on weapons in AW, I just hit prestige 14 tonight so nearly at prestige master although I reckon they are going to add at least 4 more prestige levels in the coming weeks. Appreciate all your help thanks

So just an update I went for the basic scuf 4PS and to my surprise it shipped and was in parcel motel within 4 daps of ordering probably due to lack of customisation on the controller they could ship it fairly quickly. Anyway I could see a picture of the package on my Parcelmotel account, and I said to myself great I'll have it tomorrow! Two weeks later and my Scuf is considered lost, so will have to claim back the cost, luckily I took extended liability so will get the €135 back,so stuck a second order in last night so hope it arrives safely, this time!

So finally got my scuf controller on Monday night, been using it for the last day or so, and finding it tough going so far. Trying to un-train my brain from constantly pressing X to jump instead of my left index finger from pressing the paddle. Also I'm a run and gun type of guy so I normally pressing down on the left stick to run and then when I hit the paddle I just to exo forward rather then jump. Also I've a bit of an ache in my left hand from using it not sure why, I've switched back to controller for the moment to allow my hand recover a bit.
    Just wondering how long it took you guys to get used to using the Scuf?

• Advertisement

How are you getting on now? its definitely a tough changeover but you have to just stick with it, private lobbies with bots on is a great way of practicing

yeah it's tough going so far I'm constantly having to think to use the paddles and if I don't I automatically go for the buttons. I can see possibly the Xbox One controller better suited to paddles as It is a wider base to it. I think the custom controllers with the buttons built into the handles might be a better idea, only think that puts me off that setup is you have to lose the rumble packs and I like the extra weight these give the controller in my hand.
    I'll jump into a couple of private matches with Bots and practice and hopefully I'll get used to them over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I had a scuff for the 360 and got one when I moved to PS4. find it much harder to get used to the PS4 scuff that the 360 one. I found when I have to use a std controller I really miss the paddles though so must be using them more than I thought.

Unfortunately had a problem with mine and had to send it back for repair, same problem as in this video. They only offer a 90 day warranty which isn't great so I had to pay for repair. Trying to play without it now is a struggle

Unfortunately had a problem with mine and had to send it back for repair, same problem as in this video. They only offer a 90 day warranty which isn't great so I had to pay for repair. Trying to play without it now is a struggle

What issue did you have with it and what did they quote you on repair? Surely under EU law they should be like a 2 year warranty on the controller?

The button behind one of the paddles stopped "pressing", it still worked but it was unplayable. It was £15 including shipping back, didn't look into laws tbh

The button behind one of the paddles stopped "pressing", it still worked but it was unplayable. It was £15 including shipping back, didn't look into laws tbh

That's not to bad I suppose I'm more worried about the left stick, it's ok now but I'm constantly pressing down and forward with it as I am constantly running.
    Still not using the paddles much and not sure that I ever will.

My paddle for jumping has probably been pressed more times than every other button together, ive turned into one of those really annoying jumpy players who spends more time in the air than on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

My paddle for jumping has probably been pressed more times than every other button together, ive turned into one of those really annoying jumpy players who spends more time in the air than on the ground

Ha me too. Jump around every corner. into every room etc

• Advertisement

Lads have my scuf for last 10 months and it's great, really enjoy using it swapped out the fins for the new 4PS ones from Scuf, but I want to try a controller with buttons similar to Cinch, now Cinch don't seem to have a presence in Europe so on top of the cost you would need to pay import duty, is there any similar PS4 controllers with the buttons built into the grips? Or is there anyone who has bought a Cinch controller?

Advertisement