Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do actors do it?

• 02-02-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I have always wondered, how do actors convey such complex emotions and so believably? Is it an innate talent or can it be learned?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Believe it or not it's easier than you think! The one thing humans are born being able to do well is emoting.

Unfortunately as we grow older and social norms/pressures and expectactions are on, we often become disconnected from our emotions. Actors work at being more self aware of emotions/reactions/connections which helps aid the conviction and believability of their performance. Some actors are better than others and depending on the genre will depend on the type of emotion and commitment required.

As I say to my improv students. Do you believe you feel that emotion? Because if you don't, how do you expect your audience to believe it.

While this is a very simplistic response, it's a small insight. Performing/acting is quite a liberating art to be part of, be it on stage or as a spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

I'd say read Stanislavski and Strasberg if you wish to understand how actors function and work. It's rather complex and I'd be inclined to say that it is not as easy as it sometimes looks. Can it be learned? Most certainly, but just like everything else - it takes a lot of time to become good at it, let alone to grow confidence and security in yourself and your skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I agree and disagree with faceman's lovely insight :D
    Agree about humans and emoting, and indeed how it becomes harder to access that *the more factors get in the way of it*

But it is the sustainability of this that is definitely not easy. I've seen actors *look* emotional but as an audient *feel* nothing. Sometimes people think they are really being feeling something when they aren't (and as faceman said, how can the audience believe them if they don't).

Maintaining that night after night, not having a nervous breakdown etc, is where technique can save you, and technique is not necessarily easy. People have easier access to different emotional 'skills' - the trick is to make them the character's baggage, not your own, even though they may have seeds in your personal experience. I'd also recommend looking at the many techniques used. Some people respond well to facts, others need to just do it.

Advertisement