Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Australia to Belfast

Options
  • 02-02-2015 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Currently living in Perth at the moment, been here just about 3 years so far.

I'm moving home July this year back to Dublin for a few months and planning to move to Belfast with the missus either late this year or early next year.

Just wondering if anyone has done the move from Aus home (Dublin) and then to Belfast?

What is the job front like there at the moment? I am a qualified Automation Engineer and have been working in the Telecoms industry doing Tech Support since I've been here.

What's the wages/cost of living like? I know it will be a big drop in wages but also cost of living compared to here as it is nearly 3 times the price for most things here.

I've been to Belfast once in my life so know little about it, what's life like up there if you're a Dub? (I'm well aware most people don't care about the whole catholic/protestant thing) Just have met a few people from Belfast over here who didn't take kindly to me being from the "Free State" Oh and I'm not looking to start anything from that statement, I met plenty of "interesting" Dubs here as well ;)

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

did you ever move to Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

snoopy29 wrote: »
    did you ever move to Belfast?

I did snoopy, been here since Marchand working away. Really enjoying it up here it's a great city and plenty of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Ah was just wondering, I'm from Dublin, here almost 7 years now. Just wondering what you thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

glad you made the move and settled in well! it's a great city with plenty to see and do. and a nice size too. people get scared of belfast because of what they see in the news, but that's just in a tiny part of the city and generally has little to no effect on life anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cory

Hi Guys,

Currently living in Perth at the moment, been here just about 3 years so far.

I'm moving home July this year back to Dublin for a few months and planning to move to Belfast with the missus either late this year or early next year.

Just wondering if anyone has done the move from Aus home (Dublin) and then to Belfast?

What is the job front like there at the moment? I am a qualified Automation Engineer and have been working in the Telecoms industry doing Tech Support since I've been here.

What's the wages/cost of living like? I know it will be a big drop in wages but also cost of living compared to here as it is nearly 3 times the price for most things here.

I've been to Belfast once in my life so know little about it, what's life like up there if you're a Dub? (I'm well aware most people don't care about the whole catholic/protestant thing) Just have met a few people from Belfast over here who didn't take kindly to me being from the "Free State" Oh and I'm not looking to start anything from that statement, I met plenty of "interesting" Dubs here as well ;)

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome back to Belfast! I did the exact same thing as you a few years ago - I lived in Perth (amazing city) but home is where the heart is and it pushed me back here.... haven't looked back

Have you moved back yet? The job market is fine here.. I got one relatively quickly, and it seems most of the jobs stick to Belfast and the market is pretty different outside the city unfortunately

What made you move back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement