Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLOT Carlow 5K/10K

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Did this last year good course well organised well marshalled and a great spread afterwards,will defo be headind down again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Do the races start the same time, or is one after the other.

(Note for event organisers - there is a large untapped market in families where mammy and daddy both run, but someone has to mind the kids while the race is on.....a mens race followed by a womans race for example would allow both to run).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Do the races start the same time, or is one after the other.

(Note for event organisers - there is a large untapped market in families where mammy and daddy both run, but someone has to mind the kids while the race is on.....a mens race followed by a womans race for example would allow both to run).

In previous years anyway, the 5K and 10K have started about 10 minutes apart. Can cause some issues when you've got large groups of 5K plodders or walkers coming into the track entrance for the finish at the same time as the 10K runners.

I don't know if the separate men's race and women's race is practical given the fact that the roads on the course do not close down and a fairly significant Garda presence is required, which costs....and which would cost twice as much if the race was twice as long in duration.

johnruns wrote: »
    Did this last year good course well organised well marshalled and a great spread afterwards,will defo be headind down again this year.

My only criticism from last year was they got caught out a bit due to the unseasonably very hot morning and no water stops. It caught me out a bit because the year before, there was loads of water available in freezing hailstones conditions! Really needed a sip of water in those last couple of KMs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Laois_Man wrote: »
    In previous years anyway, the 5K and 10K have started about 10 minutes apart. Can cause some issues when you've got large groups of 5K plodders or walkers coming into the track entrance for the finish at the same time as the 10K runners.

I don't know if the separate men's race and women's race is practical given the fact that the roads on the course do not close down and a fairly significant Garda presence is required, which costs....and which would cost twice as much if the race was twice as long in duration.

Thanks, that makes sense, didn't think of the insurance aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am signed up as I enjoyed the last 2 occasions.

Well run.

5k and 10k maps are on SLOT AC facebook page at

https://www.facebook.com/SLOTFit4Life/timeline

Yeah the 10K is the same course as last year except the other way around.

This could be because I commented before the race last year that the other direction would make it a faster course.

I'm taking credit for it anyway

You can thank me next weekend! :D

Great event today at SLOT 10k and 5k in Carlow.
    Conditions were ideal, if a tad cold at 6 degrees.

I met Bahanaman for the first time before the race and that was great. Met with Laois_Man once again (looking sharper every year).

My aim was to go for an under 40' hoping for better, but I knew my pb of 38:10 would be safe today.

Set out quite well with 3'48'' on my watch after the first k and a few seconds slower for the second. I could see Bahanaman away in front of me and was happy with my pace.

I was well tucked in behind another guy with intentions of staying there: very happy with my position and how I felt, just waiting for the main hill of the day.

But just before 3k a cone appeared out of nowhere just in front of me. Was I too close to the guy in front? Was I looking at my watch at the time? Anyway I took the cone at full speed and did not manage to clear it. The fall was spectacular: I even whacked my face on the tarmac. My glasses (my first concern) flew away.

Managed to get my glasses back and shouted that I was OK to some enquiring runners. Got back on my feet and started to run again.

But my competitive race was over: sore right knee and arm, sore left big toe. I plodded along until 8k and finished relatively quickly with a finish in 41:33

The worse was the shower afterwards: I discovered that I did indeed graze the four corners of my body + my right knee. Well done me.

My main concern is my right arm which is quite sore around the elbow but not scratched. I have very little movement.

20 miles tomorrow.
    Larne half next week
    Connemara marathon in 4 weeks

Hope I have not compromised anything.

echancrure wrote: »
    Great event today at SLOT 10k and 5k in Carlow.
    Conditions were ideal, if a tad cold at 6 degrees.

I met Bahanaman for the first time before the race and that was great. Met with Laois_Man once again (looking sharper every year).

My aim was to go for an under 40' hoping for better, but I knew my pb of 38:10 would be safe today.

Set out quite well with 3'48'' on my watch after the first k and a few seconds slower for the second. I could see Bahanaman away in front of me and was happy with my pace.

I was well tucked in behind another guy with intentions of staying there: very happy with my position and how I felt, just waiting for the main hill of the day.

But just before 3k a cone appeared out of nowhere just in front of me. Was I too close to the guy in front? Was I looking at my watch at the time? Anyway I took the cone at full speed and did not manage to clear it. The fall was spectacular: I even whacked my face on the tarmac. My glasses (my first concern) flew away.

Managed to get my glasses back and shouted that I was OK to some enquiring runners. Got back on my feet and started to run again.

But my competitive race was over: sore right knee and arm, sore left big toe. I plodded along until 8k and finished relatively quickly with a finish in 41:33

The worse was the shower afterwards: I discovered that I did indeed graze the four corners of my body + my right knee. Well done me.

My main concern is my right arm which is quite sore around the elbow but not scratched. I have very little movement.

20 miles tomorrow.
    Larne half next week
    Connemara marathon in 4 weeks

Hope I have not compromised anything.

Good to see you this morning - sorry to hear about that incident.

I hope your pride is the worst thing affected and you'll be OK for Larne and Connemara. 41:33 was a very respectable finish in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Great event, great day. The course was great very ,flat ,i got my pb 37.17 .will def be back.

Fall update.
    20 miles went OK today with a third at 8' per miles, another 7:40 and last 7m at 7:20.
    Elbow is moving again, just weak.

So no excuse for Larne half next week, nor Connemara full in 4 weeks.
    Happy days.

echancrure wrote: »
    Fall update.
    20 miles went OK today with a third at 8' per miles, another 7:40 and last 7m at 7:20.
    Elbow is moving again, just weak.

So no excuse for Larne half next week, nor Connemara full in 4 weeks.
    Happy days.

Great to hear.

Best of luck

Advertisement