Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a DJ for a wedding who will only play songs we picked ?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a DJ for my wedding, I'm from waterford but will be getting married in Wexford, We just want someone to play from a selection of music we have picked, sounds simple but nothing could be further from the truth.

Most Professional DJs I know wont touch a wedding, so your left with dedicated wedding Dj's, most of which are awful and in the business of keeping people happy and looking for more business. My sister had a DJ at her wedding that swore he would only play the music she picked, and then went on to play cringe inducing crap like Rock The Boat (an old person requested it) and Jive Bunny, and finish the night off with the national anthem. I've been looking for months and It seems nearly impossible to find a credible DJ for my wedding.

I used to DJ myself in the late 90s and if I can't get a DJ who will only play what we want, I'll be buying/renting some speakers and just have an iPod touch playing a play list, at least the iPod touch will play what I want and not take requests from anyone else.

If you know someone though who will play ball though, feel free to shoot me a private message ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Make a CD of the songs. (start of night / dancing tunes / classics )
    Give man on street 50 euro to put on headphones, stand on stage and pretend to be playing songs
    Play said CD
    Your music is played, you save money on DJ !

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I remember being at a wedding where the dj was given a playlist by the couple. All their favourite songs, none of which were suitable for 00:30 on the night of a wedding. All the guests were hammering the DJ saying he was the worst wedding DJ they had ever heard. He was playing the pixies, the strokes, system of a down etc. Poor lad. Anyway, it is your day so ye have the right to have as **** a wedding night as ye want. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I remember being at a wedding where the dj was given a playlist by the couple. All their favourite songs, none of which were suitable for 00:30 on the night of a wedding. All the guests were hammering the DJ saying he was the worst wedding DJ they had ever heard. He was playing the pixies, the strokes, system of a down etc. Poor lad. Anyway, it is your day so ye have the right to have as **** a wedding night as ye want. Go for it!

Yeah but it's their wedding... Why should the guests choose songs that the couple hate and not have the music the couple want when it's meant to be their day. Sounds like pretty crappy guests if they were giving the DJ a hard time over playing what the couple wanted!

Someone who is a fan of rock music (or other non mainstream genres) has to suffer the crap played at weddings or in nightclubs every time they go to a wedding or go out. They should be entitled to one night where they get to hear decent music especially when they are footing the bill.

The bands you listed above are spot on for 00:30 if that's the music you are in to. And if you aren't I would imagine a decent crowd would make the best of it. I know I get up and dance to all manner of music that I consider pure crap when I'm at a wedding and I'd never dream of going up to the DJ and complaining about it.

OP, we used a member of our wedding band as our DJ. We gave him a list of songs to play and more specifically ones he couldn't play. We didn't ask them to play / not play anything when the band was playing so there was no bother at all when we wanted specific songs from the DJ. Our guests were up dancing to the DJ all night and were a mix of young and old. None of them complained about our left of centre music choices either.

TL DR, Might be worth asking your band to DJ for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Previously in a band myself and OP I can understand you want your own music I wanted the same myself for my own wedding but very glad I didn't go down that road. Reasons why? You are going to have a very mixed crowd and at the end of the day you want to keep them happy. God help any dj giving a set list to play he or she would be slaughtered by the crowd. I don't think its a good idea slating wedding djs, believe it or not they have a tougher job pleasing everyone than a club dj. Im not sure what you mean by professional dis most wedding dis are professional in their area. if you still decide to go down the route of your own playlist just hire the PA and plug your i pod in. It will save yourself a lot of money. Best of luck with your big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 waterfordjs

Pm sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

J0hnick wrote: »
    I'll be buying/renting some speakers and just have an iPod touch playing a play list, at least the iPod touch will play what I want and not take requests from anyone else.

Why not just do this?

We got married nearly 2 years ago and my husband brought out his amp, speakers and laptop. He had already set up a few playlists but also brought out his harddrive with loads of additional music on it. Between the playlists just playing away on their own and one or two friends sticking on songs of their choice, there was no break in the music and everyone throughly enjoyed it.
    However, our wedding was very small, less than 20 people and all of the people there were our very close friends, all of whom have the same taste in music as us, so that obviously made the set up we chose a lot easier.

Obviously if you're inviting your granny and your aunties and the neighbours and this person and that person, with a wide range of ages and tastes, then you might find it a bit more difficult to keep everybody happy but as I say to anyone getting married, the only people you should be concerned about keeping happy are the 2 people getting married.

Advertisement