Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying A First Car

Options
  • 02-02-2015 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Could anyone give me a very rough figure of money needed to buy and own a car? I'm 17 and would like to buy my own car (insure it under my parent) and run it myself. I have enough to buy the car but not enough for tax or insurance. I'm not considering it anytime too soon but I'd like to know what I'd have to work up to? I know this is a broad question but if anyone answers, I can give more details on what it would be, how often driven, insurance and so on.

EDIT - I'm on the road already, I just want to have my own motor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

That spreadsheet looks good - if a abit complicated. The following would be the main areas for costs for me (per annum):
    1. NCT (if the car is old enough) - 55+.
    2. AA - 200+
    3. Servicing (every 12000 miles) - 1250 (my car is old and does high milage).
    4. Insurance - 375.
    5. Road tax - 200.
    8. Various (new tyres or other unexpected costs) - 500.
    9. Fuel - 3600.

I don't include depreciation or anything else into my costs.

Thats over 6000 a year or more then 500 a month. The above figures would change depending on insurance costs or how much milage you intend to use (milage would affect servicing costs and fuel). I should point out that 6000 a year would be a worst case scenario - better to budget for the worst and hope for the best. I found 2013 at the worst case scenarion but 2014 was below budget.

For a 17 year old you might expect insurance rates to be very much larger

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

Yep, insurance would be a deal greater but I'll have a full license and no claims bonus, all going well, by the end of the year. Tax would be a bit more for what I'm looking at and fuel would probably be less, so it's still looks accurate. Thanks for the reply :)

Advertisement