Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on dog's tum

• 02-02-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Morning all

I noticed a lump on my dog's belly yesterday, when he was on his back getting a tum-scratch. It's fleshy (rather than hard) and about the size of the top of my thumb. I couldn't see any cut/tick/thorns in it, the flesh doesn't seem to be broken. I've not noticed him picking at it, and he did let me touch it a little before hopping up and running off (which he does anyway, so not sure if I hurt him or if he was done with being rubbed).

I plan to keep an eye on it, he let me look at it just now, but as I am a newbie in the world of dog-ownership, is this the wrong approach and should I be taking him straight to the vet?

Generally, he's been his usual self. He seems a bit hungrier, but has gone through a growth spurt the last few weeks. He's thirstier too, over the last couple of weeks. Not sure if any of that is relevant!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's probably just a fatty lump/cyst that dogs get which is nothing to worry about...BUT if it was me I'd be going to the vets asap in case it's something you DO need to be worried about as timing is everything. See my thread from 5 months ago - we thought he just had a splinter! :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91491018

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I have the lumpiest, bumpiest doggie. She's already had 3 removed, only one of which was a fatty cyst which was in an awkward spot, so had to go. She has a few more, just fatty things, that slide about a bit under the skin. Those are usually fine.
    But one she had on her tummy was a bit more prominent, quite soft/squishy and a bit veiny. Didn't hurt her though. She had it removed eventually (it was a real slow grower) and it turned out to be cancerous. (not a spreading type cancer, & not very agressive) Thankfully vet got it all out, and she's fine since. Definitely get it checked though. Your vet should be able to advise if it's worth removing.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Thanks everyone. He hates the car, so getting him to the vet is an ordeal (although he likes her), but I'll get him checked out anyway. Poor pup

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I hear ya! when I got my girl, she was already well on in years, and had never been in a car. The car can become associated with Vet trips really easily! I try to take her out to fun places, and give treats in the car fairly often so she learns to like the journeys, and it's not always about the V.E.T (yes, we have to spell it!)

Our boy is only around 13 months old, but before he came to us every car journey ended with him being left at a new "home" (for want of a better word :-( ) So he gets very nervous and actually throws up even on short journeys. We need two of us to go anywhere with him, one to drive, other to sit in back beside him, talk to him etc. We stop at side of road to let him out and back in again, and the longest journey we can manage is a couple of miles. TBH we stopped trying for a while, as he was getting so worked up, and our plan was to start again soon, now that he is well used to us (we only have him since Sept), and now that he knows this is home.

But needs must, and as is often the case, being forced to do it might make the decision for us, as we keep putting off the trauma (his and mine!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

What breed of dog is it ?

I know we found a lump on our 11 year old Collie Retriever cross recently.
    Had it tested and it was just a fatty lump ,in particular retriever breeds are prone to them and they are of no harm.
    Vet can do a quick test to see if it is fatty tissue ,I would recommend getting it done for peace of mind.

Re Car trips
    Our fella was a rescue when we got him he was terrified of cars .I started using the car for short trips to the park and very quickly he associated Car trips with a postive (good long walk) and now unloading the shopping I have to bloke him jumping into the boot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is it exactly along the midline? Could it possibly be an umbilical hernia? They're usually repaired at the same time as neutering or spaying.

He's a collie cross too, not sure what he is crossed with, but I think it is some sort of hunting dog. He's quite tall/long for a collie I think.

It is exactly along the mid-line of his belly, maybe a couple of inches in front of his willy. He has already been neutered.

He's outside destroying a chew toy, and rolling in the snow, and in no way seems in pain or discomfort. Going to get a vet appointment for later this week when I am on short days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

coughdrops wrote: »
    Our boy is only around 13 months old, but before he came to us every car journey ended with him being left at a new "home" (for want of a better word :-( ) So he gets very nervous and actually throws up even on short journeys. We need two of us to go anywhere with him, one to drive, other to sit in back beside him, talk to him etc. We stop at side of road to let him out and back in again, and the longest journey we can manage is a couple of miles. TBH we stopped trying for a while, as he was getting so worked up, and our plan was to start again soon, now that he is well used to us (we only have him since Sept), and now that he knows this is home.

But needs must, and as is often the case, being forced to do it might make the decision for us, as we keep putting off the trauma (his and mine!)

sounds like he has found his forever home with you - lovely to read :)
    hopefully it'll just be a fatty lump - my dog was prone to them, but always had them checked, just in case - let us know how you go on

Advertisement