Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chocolate for home-made Chocolate Kimberleys?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 11:18am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I love Chocolate Kimberleys but they are a little pricey to keep in the house all the time. I have been experimenting with coating regular Kimberleys with melted chocolate to make my own but I can't get the chocolate right. I've tried melted Cadbury Dairy Milk and melted Galaxy bars, and they are both delicious, but the taste isn't right. Anyone know the best chocolate to use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I have no idea but I like the way you are thinking !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Dairy milk does not melt very well. It splits too easily.

I find the Finbarra brand in Lidl always melts well and tastes great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you might want to try a mix of chocolates. Half and half cooking chocolate and a good quality dark chocolate might be what you're after. The chocolate on them isn't very milky or very fancy, but somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I check ingredient lists to try and figure out stuff. Jacobs single out the chocolate list on its own

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250540945
    Ingredients

Wheat Flour, Milk Chocolate (30%) [Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa Liquor, Skimmed Milk Powder, Milk Fat, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Flavouring], Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Water, Vegetable Oil, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate), Gelling Agent (Gelatine), Ground Ginger, Salt, Natural Lemon Oil
    So the bits in the backets are what is in the chocolate and you might find bars with similar ones in that order (they list in order of greatest first). I know dairy milk has palm oil and shea butter/fat in it now. Galaxy has palm fat too, these are usually frowned upon and seen as cheap filler. I would be trying lidl or aldi bars, cheaper to us and seemingly more expensive to produce than the branded muck.

Advertisement