Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Smidge wrote: »
    There are inequities everywhere tbh.
    I think sometimes its more glaring when certain sectors of society are at the centre of it.
    People can rant about travellers getting refuse collections but when a medical unit solely for Romanian peoples use at Tallaght hospital, is brought under question....well then theres trouble ;)

That's a charitable organisation running that. They can do what they want. I object to people getting freebies without being means tested simply by virtue of their ethnicity. Plenty of people on my road are struggling but have to pay for services. The travellers beside me with a 131 jeep pay nothing. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

evo2000 wrote: »
    You re ducking the question, cause you know it blows all you re gullible bull**** out of the water, at the end of the day people can bury there heads in the sand all they want but we all know exactly who does the vast amount of scamming when it comes to benefits and SW.
    he can't be ducking something that doesn't exist. as in, you have no question or point. no gullible bull at all. nobody burrying their heads in the sand at all. some of our own "settled" people are as good at scamming as the best of them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are inequities everywhere tbh.
    I think sometimes its more glaring when certain sectors of society are at the centre of it.
    People can rant about travellers getting refuse collections but when a medical unit solely for Romanian peoples use at Tallaght hospital, is brought under question....well then theres trouble ;)

With all due respect,there is very little "ranting" on this thread.

There is some rather pointed questioning of the facts of the case as reported in the Newspaper article.

You appear to take any,and all,questioning of these inequities as ranting,which tbh,so far has not been shown to be the case.

In terms of the "clarity" you found missing from my recent posts regarding specific additional entitlements,I have to echo this in relation to the Romanian Unit at Tallaght Hospital....which may well be worth developing in a specific thread,as it has No bearing on the thread to hand.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

You re ducking the question, cause you know it blows all you re gullible bull**** out of the water, at the end of the day people can bury there heads in the sand all they want but we all know exactly who does the vast amount of scamming when it comes to benefits and SW.
    Who scams the most money in Ireland... hmm, I was going to say "bankers" or "developers" who conned us out of billions but the answer you probably want is "some McDonagh guy with 8 kids on 840 a week".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

AlekSmart wrote: »

There is some rather pointed questioning of the facts of the case as reported in the Newspaper article.

You appear to take any,and all,questioning of these inequities as ranting,which tbh,so far has not been shown to be the case.

In terms of the "clarity" you found missing from my recent posts regarding specific additional entitlements,I have to echo this in relation to the Romanian Unit at Tallaght Hospital....which may well be worth developing in a specific thread,as it has No bearing on the thread to hand.

Well said

It ll be considered ranting or something else usually when you ve a good point and they ve no response to it.

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Who scams the most money in Ireland... hmm, I was going to say "bankers" or "developers" who conned us out of billions but the answer you probably want is "some McDonagh guy with 8 kids on 840 a week".

Bankers and developers are scamming the most from the SW and other benefits? cool never knew that!

You make out like 840 is flimsy lol its actually not too shabby considering St vincent the paul will hand them out all the food vouchers, toys nappys, coal ect they need they do a very good job, i doubt he has to spend alot of that 840 on food and bills...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's a charitable organisation running that. They can do what they want. I object to people getting freebies without being means tested simply by virtue of their ethnicity. Plenty of people on my road are struggling but have to pay for services. The travellers beside me with a 131 jeep pay nothing. I don't get it.

Is it paid solely through charitable funds or iirc it receives state funding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

You see, that just negates anything else you have posted.

Don't quite see how.

I'll now let you have the last word because whatever anyone else posts, you have to reply the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it paid solely through charitable funds or iirc it receives state funding?

I'm not sure tbh. It could be funded by an NGO which means the state cover it or it could be run entirely on donations. I don't object to services for travellers, I've worked with a traveller women's group that was funded by the state. Services like that are needed and are not objectionable.

It's when free services are given to families that others have to pay for I find unfair especially when some of those families can afford it. There is no reason for it. Why give it to them and not an elderly or disabled person?

Jesus Evo, have a few apostrophes. They're free :D

Sure sign you re losing a debate when you ve to attack the person instead of the topic :D

AlekSmart and the likes are making you look stupid with valid points and the best you can do is reply and call it ranting...

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon.....
    No ranting???
    Seriously?

Have a look back through the thread for calls of "scum, criminals" etc
    I have issues with people trying to make something out of a a man in receipt of a standard SW payment, and turning it into a big fecking hue and cry.
    Have a look back and see how many posts said he was scamming etc when he wasn't.

Again, you dont answer what i asked re what "extra" he was getting so it isn't me unable to answer, I'm afraid.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm not sure tbh. It could be funded by an NGO which means the state cover it or it could be run entirely on donations. I don't object to services for travellers, I've worked with a traveller women's group that was funded by the state. Services like that are needed and are not objectionable.

It's when free services are given to families that others have to pay for I find unfair especially when some of those families can afford it. There is no reason for it. Why give it to them and not an elderly or disabled person?

Agreed. And I have made that point earlier. Its either across the board or not at all.

EazyD wrote: »
    In all seriousness it does make you wonder why we bother at all, just to fund out and out leaches who will never pay into the system themselves.

It should be pointed out that the case regarding Mr McDonogh involves one person alone,and cannot be taken as representative on Travellers in general.

If or when,there are other similar cases proven in the Courts then it is right & proper that these too be referred to and the essential points debated....irrespective of ethnic origin.

As it stands,and apparently has to be repeated,this Gentleman attempted to misrepresent,for whatever reason,his income to the Court.

His attempt was thwarted by The Judge and he recieved an opportunity to consider his position,which presumably with the encouragement of his Barrister,he availed of.

My responses have focused on this,and equally to challenge and rebut attempts to lay off the blame on alleged strong Catholic Beliefs and/or lack of education,neither of which would appear to have been an issue in this specific case.

The issue of whether the State should perhaps broadly review how it allocates Traveller Specific resources,is far broader,but nonetheless worth developing....just not in this thread ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Ah c'mon.....
    No ranting???
    Seriously?

I have issues with people trying to make something out of a a man in receipt of a standard SW payment, and turning it into a big fecking hue and cry.
    Have a look back and see how many posts said he was scamming etc when he wasn't.

Again, you dont answer what i asked re what "extra" he was getting so it isn't me unable to answer, I'm afraid.

Since when is €840 a 'standard' payment? Cuz if that's the case I'm quitting my job tomorrow and breeding like there's no tomorrow.

Ah c'mon.....
    No ranting???
    Seriously?

The problem is, his not the only one doing this.. and the vast majority of people here are attacking the issue as a whole, the exploitation of the SW and the likes, but you re obsessed with making everything about the original lad, and denying that any others scam SW aswell.

Sure sign you re losing a debate when you ve to attack the person instead of the topic :D
    Funny, I pointed that out a while back when you were calling me thick while failing to make any point whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I just did my books for Jan, made a net profit of €86.48, €84 of which was a tax refund. Looks like I need to get meself on the dole and a heap of wains. :)

NP is meaningless, you could have had a profit that small because you paid yourself 100,000 for the month....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

a father of 8... he's hardly living a lavish lifestyle... presumably getting €840/week to look after 10 people...

having said that i wonder if this includes children's allowance or any other family allowances they may be getting...

and as others have pointed out, this is where the welfare system is flawed, because even on an average industrial wage (which is incredibly high anyway), working full time, he wouldn't take home that much money...

The Goon should stop having children if he can't afford him.

Since when is €840 a 'standard' payment? Cuz if that's the case I'm quitting my job tomorrow and breeding like there's no tomorrow.
    He was in court and there was no mention of him scamming the system.
    Sounds standard to me then for wife and 8 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

a father of 8... he's hardly living a lavish lifestyle... presumably getting €840/week to look after 10 people...

having said that i wonder if this includes children's allowance or any other family allowances they may be getting...

and as others have pointed out, this is where the welfare system is flawed, because even on an average industrial wage (which is incredibly high anyway), working full time, he wouldn't take home that much money...

The Goon should stop having children if he can't afford them.

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon.....
    No ranting???
    Seriously?

The issue is about this gentleman attempting to misrepresent that "Standard" SW payment in open court,and persisting with this attempt until the Judge,rather fairly IMO,allowed his Barrister to perhaps earn her money by saving her clients bacon and having him consider his position.

If you consider this misrepresentation of means as something other than an attempted deception then fair enough,but please don't be surprised or indignant of others take a less sanguine view of it ?

I can only reiterate what I posted in response to your earlier request regarding "extra" entitlement over and above the SW norm...

Members of the Traveller Community are provided with access to Traveller Specific assistance and supports NOT generally available,as of right,to members of the general population.

Access to Traveller Specific accomodation,whether transient or fixed,is a significant additional benefit,the costs of which must be borne by the greater body of society who are specifically denied access to that which they have largely funded.

In Mr McDonaghs case,the law,and Judge Reilly in particular,appears to have been most understanding and lenient towards him. ;)

You are ridiculously gullible... where did you grow up?

I love your defense of this outstanding citizen, but you re inability to read between the lines really does skew you re view and leaves you looking abit silly...
    I wasnt pointing out the individual, but more of whats actually going on in reality, you re seriously dumb if you think this sort of stuff isnt happening, have a look at my big fat gypsy wedding and the likes and see the money they re spending on dresses yet alot of them work, they pull up in hummers and limos in diamond coated dresses yet dont work,

No i cannot prove it but im not that ****ing dumb to think that its all above board, wake up a small bit!
    Since your so keen on facts, evidence that he doesnt have a 2015? good lad.

Also if you dont belive me that alot of them drive ridiculously expensive cars and dont work, take a stroll down to ur local halting site..

I dont hold it against em if they can get away with it fair play to em, but to deny it or think that its not going on... you d have to be a special sort of stupid!
    Ahh man you must be from D4 or something you re perspective of reality is just so gullible, i get you give people the benefit of the doubt and innocent till proven guilty but in this instance its very ****ing gullible!
    If you re case was to prove you re a gullible mug the bravo! lmao :rolleyes:
    Are you saying alot of travellers dont abuse the system? that alot of em dont scam people and elderly people? would you say that all the stuff on my big fat gypsy wedding was paid for from hard earned honest cash?

Honestly man you d have to be fair fair thick to think otherwise,
    I have its not my fault you dont have the brains to understand it!
    Hang on ill retype it before you jizz yourself over a mistake

What i ment to say was do you think alot of the stuff paid for on my big fat gypsy wedding and the likes was paid for out of hard earned honest cash, do you think that alot of there vans especially the new ones were paid for out of hard earned honest cash? especially the ones on the dole driving 2015 vans ?

AlekSmart and the likes are making you look stupid with valid points and the best you can do is reply and call it ranting.

*Hello Pot...., yeah this is Kettle here. Just wanted to let you know you're black*

The issue is about this gentleman attempting to misrepresent that "Standard" SW payment in open court,and persisting with this attempt until the Judge,rather fairly IMO,allowed his Barrister to perhaps earn her money by saving her clients bacon and having him consider his position.

If you consider this misrepresentation of means as something other than an attempted deception then fair enough,but please don't be surprised or indignant of others take a less sanguine view of it ?

I can only reiterate what I posted in response to your earlier request regarding "extra" entitlement over and above the SW norm...

Members of the Traveller Community are provided with access to Traveller Specific assistance and supports NOT generally available,as of right,to members of the general population.

Access to Traveller Specific accomodation,whether transient or fixed,is a significant additional benefit,the costs of which must be borne by the greater body of society who are specifically denied access to that which they have largely funded.

In Mr McDonaghs case,the law,and Judge Reilly in particular,appears to have been most understanding and lenient towards him. ;)

Fair enough.
    So your issue is with them having purpose built homes solely for traveller then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

lazza14 wrote: »
    He has 8 kids - this is why he gets €840 pw, JOKE ...

Lucky to afford a 2nd kid (in my situation) while these social parasites just keep having kids cos the govt. will fund them.

When will Ireland/UK learn that child benefit should be capped after 2 kids ...

When will Ireland learn that there should be no social welfare at all .

Fair enough.
    So your issue is with them having purpose built homes solely for traveller then?

I have no issue with it,other than to point out that it is an ADDITIONAL benefit specifically denied the remainder of Citizens of this State.

As such,it can be ascribed a value,however as I'm neither actuary nor estate agent,the value of the enjoyment of a large Rathfarnham property valued at c.€500,000 in 2009 remains undetermined.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Said it before and I'll say it again, if you have more than 2 kids you should be made payable for them by yourself. I think its an out and out disgrace that these people are allowed get away with this. Maybe if he hadn't got it so handy he'd think twice before blowing his beans in his bird.

On another note, I honestly don't think the government do enough to get the long term spongers off the dole, I was let go from work myself before and because I moved in with my kid and my partner I was cut off. I have worked since I was 17, not that that really matters. But it makes me sick to think how these **** get away with it, In many ways i'd be better off on the dole tbh.

I have no issue with it,other than to point out that it is an ADDITIONAL benefit specifically denied the remainder of Citizens of this State.

As such,it can be ascribed a value,however as I'm neither actuary nor estate agent,the value of the enjoyment of a large Rathfarnham property valued at c.€500,000 in 2009 remains undetermined.

So your issue is not with someone receiving state housing(be they traveller or settled) but with the LOCATION of said housing.

I see........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    When will Ireland learn that there should be no social welfare at all .

I disagree, there needs to be a welfare system to ensure the most vulnerable are assisted. It just boils my piss to hear of people like this guy making a comfortable life out of it. Meanwhile we subsidise it doing over 50 hour weeks. Very fair

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    He was in court and there was no mention of him scamming the system.
    Sounds standard to me then for wife and 8 kids.

What are people not getting about this?
    €188 + €124.80 +€29.80 x 5
    Plus the universal CB payment. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Imo, because you are an educated person you'll be the very person that is hounded by the state to get back to work, Not like these dodging w@nkers that have spent their whole life on the run from working. I also can't stand the PC **** that live in this country that defend the likes of this person. If he can't afford kids he shouldn't have them.

Advertisement