Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Tugboats wrote: »
    Sorry I don't consider it my job
    good for you. you would rather they were left to starve and die. thats disgusting, you should be ashamed. i'd rather be of the belief that it is our job to ensure they are looked after rather then be of the belief they should be left to starve and die

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

evo2000 wrote: »
    What about giving them social welfare for say a year and after that you have to work for it, im all for genuine people getting help and think social welfare as whole is a great thing, my grievance is with the blatant manipulation of it by some people that are basically making a career out of it... (even tho i know alot of people on here don't believe that exists)

Then why punish the majority for a small minority?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Pataman wrote: »
    What happens when all the kids grow up and follow in their fathers footsteps?? Exponential growth and cost to the state.
    Travellers have been around for yonks and there's only 20-30,000 of them. If that's exponential growth they're not doing it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

What about giving them social welfare for say a year and after that you have to work for it, im all for genuine people getting help and think social welfare as whole is a great thing, my grievance is with the blatant manipulation of it by some people that are basically making a career out of it... (even tho i know alot of people on here don't believe that exists)

Who wants to break the news to Evo about Jobsbridge/Tus etc? :D

(even tho i know alot of people on here don't believe that exists)
    Any chance you'd point to where somebody has said SW fraud doesn't exist? Be specific now. No, saying it's obvious or calling us thick isn't really evidence I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Who scams the most money in Ireland... hmm, I was going to say "bankers" or "developers" who conned us out of billions but the answer you probably want is "some McDonagh guy with 8 kids on 840 a week".
    Not to mention the car tax and insurance as well as free legal aid and fre taxi to the court and also home, then there is the cost of all the work the Gardai and other state organisations have had to do because this guy is such drain on state resources
    Smidge wrote: »
    What are people not getting about this?
    €188 + €124.80 +€29.80 x 5 8
    Plus the universal CB payment. :confused:
    bjork wrote: »
    =€466

Eight children = 1,080/month
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

Does not compute to €840, where is he getting the other €124?
    Try again
    It is a basic payment of €188 + €20 fuel + €124 dependant adult + €29.80 x 8 children. Add the child benefit and this adds to €810.4 weekly but There may be other payments given by social/community welfare because of the number of children? or if one or more are classed as disabled they will be getting payments for that.

Add to this the medical card as well as practically free housing and other benefits.
    If he can't afford them then he should be made to work, If that's in some community type job for work experience then so be it. have him landscaping cleaning the streets or doing something to repay.
    But the only sanction open to those not inclined to work is to stop their payments and those of their families!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

sup_dude wrote: »
    Because every parent who made a mistake or contraception failed is automatically a scronger....
    No but for it to happen 8 times you are taking the piss. Like I said earlier, I think payments should stop after 2 kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Then why punish the majority for a small minority?

Is pulling you re weight really, a punishment? plus giving people something to is a good thing i think, i mean i think its fair enuff to give someone a year to get back on there feet in terms of work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Travellers have been around for yonks and there's only 20-30,000 of them. If that's exponential growth they're not doing it right.

If they all have 8 sprogs, their numbers will surely grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Not to mention the car tax and insurance as well as free legal aid and fre taxi to the court and also home, then there is the cost of all the work the Gardai and other state organisations have had to do because this guy is such drain on state resources

It is a basic payment of €188 + €20 fuel + €124 dependant adult + €29.80 x 8 children. Add the child benefit and this adds to €810.4 weekly but There may be other payments given by social/community welfare because of the number of children? or if one or more are classed as disabled they will be getting payments for that.

Add to this the medical card as well as practically free housing and other benefits.

But the only sanction open to those not inclined to work is to stop their payments and those of their families!
    Why would he not be inclined to work?. Stop handing out hard cash to them then, come up with a voucher type situation so the kids don't go hungry.

• Advertisement

No but for it to happen 8 times you are taking the piss. Like I said earlier, I think payments should stop after 2 kids.

Yes, it is taking the piss. However, just because someone makes a mistake or contraception fails, doesn't mean there's just gonna go ahead and have 8 children all at once. Also, if there's a limit of two children, it should come into practice for new parents now, and not those already in existence
    Is pulling you re weight really, a punishment? plus giving people something to is a good thing i think, i mean i think its fair enuff to give someone a year to get back on there feet in terms of work

What about people who can't work?

foggy_lad wrote: »

Typo there by me. Meant 8, not 5 but still doesn't change my point and also, the fuel is not paid for the year(6 months)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

It's not all bad news apparently the life expectancy for Mr Mcdonagh and co is 61.7 so we save on pensions

Yes, it is taking the piss. However, just because someone makes a mistake or contraception fails, doesn't mean there's just gonna go ahead and have 8 children all at once. Also, if there's a limit of two children, it should come into practice for new parents now, and not those already in existence

What about people who can't work?

Drag them out and beat them till they can work!!

Nah if you cant work you cant work, still give em the money

Why would he not be inclined to work?. Stop handing out hard cash to them then, come up with a voucher type situation so the kids don't go hungry.

That works so well in America... And won't at all mortify those who genuinely need SW. Again, punishing the majority for the actions of a small minority.

Pataman wrote: »
    If they all have 8 sprogs, their numbers will surely grow.
    Well the evidence we have says it isn't. What do I go with, data or "surely"?

Do you have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

Id say if the stats for long term unrmployed and large family sizes were known it would be an eye opener.

That works so well in America... And won't at all mortify those who genuinely need SW. Again, punishing the majority for the actions of a small minority.

Isnt being made que up in a post office on a certain day for money mortifying ?

And also, vouchers can't be sold on black market or lead to a monopoly in the suppliers for these vouchers ;)

• Advertisement

And also, vouchers can't be sold on black market or lead to a monopoly in the suppliers for these vouchers ;)

Not in you re fairy tale world anyway! lol

Isnt being made que up in a post office on a certain day for money not mortifying ?

It must be boring and time consuming as they que up at different post offices in different counties

Not in you re fairy tale world anyway! lol

Go home Evo, you're embarrassing yourself now.

Isnt being made que up in a post office on a certain day for money mortifying ?

I would imagine it is. So why would you add to it by basically marking out those on SW as seperate from others in society? Are people on SW not allowed any sort of dignity?

Go home Evo, you're embarrassing yourself now.

I am at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That would cost much more than it would save especially considering the attitude towards entitlement and "helping yourself" in this country those handing out the vouchers would have many fingers in the till!

A better solution would be home raids where valuable items like 60inch tellys and €400 games consoles are confiscated and any cars taken away as someone on welfare with any kids can't afford a car!

I would imagine it is. So why would you add to it by basically marking out those on SW as seperate from others in society? Are people on SW not allowed any sort of dignity?

True i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

worded wrote: »
    Id say if the stats for long term unrmployed and large family sizes were known it would be an eye opener.

I'd be more interested in the stats of people who the Gardai have to deal with drunk at 9.30 am and their demographic.

bjork wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in the stats of people who the Gardai have to deal with drunk at 9.30 am and their demographic.

The polish built this country leave them out of this

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    The polish built this country leave them out of this

You're going to be in trouble for that one :D

In fairness, it could be the travellers, the polish or just the damn pesky teenagers for that matter. Take your pick in the pis5head stakes.

Advertisement