Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

for the people that went threw 3 level education for 4 years, worked and to be let go and trying to find work that's the people im distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Another side to the argument is that if you don't maintain a basic bar ( and maintain those who haven't done a tap of work in their lives), society ends up paying for it in other ways; which is way more expensive.

I don't believe the welfare rates are enough, despite what you think. Look at sensible studies, and not angry pub talk.

This cohort who sit on their hole, scratching their stones all day is an embedded cultural thing.,It was facilitated by lazy, useless and pensioned up civil servants who couldn't give a flying f#ck at one time who was or was not on social welfare, as long as they got paid. No performance based pay or no performance based pay system that was credible. Any other job where you didn't deliver, and you'd be out on your ear. But not these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hunter456 wrote: »
    for the people that went threw 3 level education for 4 years, worked and to be let go and trying to find work that's the people im distinction

Eh, I dunno about that. I mean, whether someone went to college or not, if they worked, they contributed taxes. I know someone who didn't even get to do her leaving cert, nevermind college. Oddly, due to having children. She's now unemployed but she did work in and then run her own IT training business which was very successful. However, she was forced to sell it when they started having all sorts of weird requirements. But she still contributed taxes, more than a lot of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

then what is it then you explain the the work crisis not just here but over sea's. i see people even relations of mine with better educations that worked paid taxes and still sat at home trying to find a job like myself. the younger generations are reliving our parents era back in 80s were it was hard to get a job and the only means of work was to leave the country.

• Advertisement

Look up education inflation.

For the most part, a degree does not mean sh!t anymore. Kids are going to college and doing a 12 week course in 1 week, and scraping through.

The reality is you need to get out there and make sh!t happen. You have to always learn. And keep learning. You will never get to a point where you say, right, I am done with education, now let's start living.

Nope. As it's shifting goal posts. You got a leaving cert. Great. Now get a degree. You got a degree. Lovely. Now get a job. Got a job. Great. Now get a better job. It never ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

so the people we dont want to have kids are popping them out and the ones we want to have kids either are not or are only having one or two, brilliant! I read way back, a comment about if child benefit were cut, it would harm the children, this is coming from a "parent" who seems reckless in his behaviour, where is the guarantee that the child benefit is being spent on the essentials, rather than on smokes, the boozer, bookies etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

This lad is in receipt of €903 a week in welfare, has seven kids, they all have medical cards. He also owns two gaffs! The majority of citizens could only dream of such a lifestyle.
    A man found lying drunk in the middle of the road is in receipt of €903 social welfare a week.

Totting up Martin McDonagh’s total social welfare income, District Judge Bridget Reilly explained to Tallaght Court that McDonagh would have to earn more than €100,000 a year to end up with an income of €903 a week after tax.

Judge Reilly also said McDonagh had two houses which could have a rental income of €1,000 each a month.

The court heard that at 7.30am on September 19 last, gardaí went to the Greenhills Road on foot of a report that a man was lying on the road.

McDonagh, 40, Montpelier View, Tallaght, admitted to public drunkenness and failing to provide a garda with his name and address.

Sergeant Bernard Jones said McDonagh had been a danger to traffic and was heavily intoxicated.

Sgt Jones said McDonagh had 42 previous convictions. On February 17, 2011, he received a three-month sentence suspended for two years for breaching the peace. He also has a number of convictions for no insurance.

McDonagh’s lawyer, Padraig O’Donovan, said he had psychiatric difficulties and had been going through a period of self-harm.

Judge Reilly commented: “He has two houses and seven children.” She also noted that there were “medical cards for all the family”.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/convicted-man-gets-euro903-welfare-a-week-court-hears-313123.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

the working man is a sucker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

This lad is in receipt of €903 a week in welfare, has seven kids, they all have medical cards. He also owns two gaffs! The majority of citizens could only dream of such a lifestyle.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/convicted-man-gets-euro903-welfare-a-week-court-hears-313123.html

On you go swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On you go swap.
    Sgt Jones said McDonagh had 42 previous convictions. On February 17, 2011, he received a three-month sentence suspended for two years for breaching the peace. He also has a number of convictions for no insurance.
    Judge Reilly said: “He and his family are being supported by the State. His alcohol abuse is significant. The amount of no-insurance convictions shows a blatant disregard for the law.

Before you swap,make sure you never encounter Mr McD on the public highway....

Judge Riley has been underlining these odd personal financial Quango's of late !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This lad is in receipt of €903 a week in welfare, has seven kids, they all have medical cards. A man found lying drunk in the middle of the road is in receipt of €903 social welfare a week.
    Totting up Martin McDonagh’s total social welfare income, District Judge Bridget Reilly explained to Tallaght Court that McDonagh would have to earn more than €100,000 a year to end up with an income of €903 a week after tax.
    €100,000 gross? I think Judge Reilly needs a new calculator.

Discounting children's allowance, which is available to workers with underage children, it's about half that figure: 50k per annum.

€50k gross per annum with 7 children is not luxurious.

The problem in Ireland is not the welfare rates, the problem is how easy it is to shirk work, and therefore to be in receipt of those rates for longer than should be necessary.

Welfare payments are supposed to be emergency payments. We have to stop allowing people to treat welfare like an unfortunate lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

conorh91 wrote:
    Discounting children's allowance, which is available to workers with underage children, it's about half that figure: 50k per annum.

was there not something about money from the rental properties........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Tallaght, the Tuam of south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That is crazy. €903 a week, tax free, in the hand + medical cards.

Will the authorities take it from him now though? That is what I want to know. So many cases in front of the courts of people getting amounts not far from this on welfare. Is it ever looked in to afterward?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

It sickens me paying €30k to revenue every year when the likes of him gain from it, when most weeks I cant afford to take a wage from my business.
    Harsh reality for me is I can't afford a mortgage or to have children (mid 30's) yet parasites like him get away with this.
    The thousands like him, (I don't care what background he is from) sum up everything that is wrong with our society.
    Before the dogooders attack me, live a day in my life stressing about where money will come from and not being guaranteed all the benefits they are every week.
    People who work in this country are the fools, there is no incentive to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd say a party who promised to cut the welfare state would do well with middle voters at this stage. I do think people are getting to stage where they are at the end of their patience for this especially after the austerity.

How much austerity has that sponger had? Think about that going to work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

It sickens me paying €30k to revenue every year when the likes of him gain from it, when most weeks I cant afford to take a wage from my business.
    Harsh reality for me is I can't afford a mortgage or to have children (mid 30's) yet parasites like him get away with this.
    The thousands like him, (I don't care what background he is from) sum up everything that is wrong with our society.
    Before the dogooders attack me, live a day in my life stressing about where money will come from and not being guaranteed all the benefits they are every week.
    People who work in this country are the fools, there is no incentive to do so!

Most weeks eh?
    So you live on thin air?
    And you are paying 30k to the revenue?
    Riiiiiight :rolleyes:

^^^^^

You don't understand tax

Smidge wrote: »
    Most weeks eh?
    So you live on thin air?
    And you are paying 30k to the revenue?
    Riiiiiight :rolleyes:

Yes, MOST weeks. I live on an extremely small wage - most weeks less than social welfare.
    Yes, as a business owner, I HAVE to pay revenue. Businesses HAVE to pay revenue regardless.
    Roll your eyes all you want, that is my fact and my thoughts on people like him.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    ^^^^^

You don't understand tax

No?
    But I do understand when someone is either spoofing for the sake of the thread or else is crap at business ;)

Yes, MOST weeks. I live on an extremely small wage - most weeks less than social welfare.
    Yes, as a business owner, I HAVE to pay revenue. Businesses HAVE to pay revenue regardless.
    Roll your eyes all you want, that is my fact and my thoughts on people like him.

Well then, my advice is that you dont seem to be very good at this business malarky, not for you I'm afraid.
    Best off to cut your losses and sign on so.

No?
    But I do understand when someone is either spoofing for the sake of the thread or else is crap at business ;)

For your information, I am NOT spoofing and sadly people like you don't realise just how many business owners are under the same pressure.
    I am not "entitled" to welfare should my business go so I have to hang in and hope one day it improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

He also owns two gaffs! The majority of citizens could only dream of such a lifestyle.

Well then, my advice is that you dont seem to be very good at this business malarky, not for you I'm afraid.
    Best off to cut your losses and sign on so.

Clearly you don't understand about being self employed. There is no "sign on" option if you loose your business. Thanks all the same for your advice.

For your information, I am NOT spoofing and sadly people like you don't realise just how many business owners are under the same pressure.
    I am not "entitled" to welfare should my business go so I have to hang in and hope one day it improves.

I understand plenty about being self employed.
    I also know when to cut losses when business sucks and you're flogging a dead donkey.
    A lesson in the post for you if you are "hoping" for it to one day improve.
    Not great acumen there.

BrowmThomas, I would say to you, if it's not working, pack it in. It's not an admission of failure. It's business sense. You have to draw the line in the sand.

Clearly you don't understand about being self employed. There is no "sign on" option if you loose your business. Thanks all the same for your advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

I understand plenty about being self employed.
    I also know when to cut losses when business sucks and you're flogging a dead donkey.
    A lesson in the post for you if you are "hoping" for it to one day improve.
    Not great acumen there.

Clearly not if your "advice" is to go sign on!
    In my area, business can be great or it can be bad, I have no control over that. At times it dies improve and at times it isn't good. Famous area for it.
    If you don't mind, I'm not here for your "advice" on my business but to give a comment on the first post.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    BrowmThomas, I would say to you, if it's not working, pack it in. It's not an admission of failure. It's business sense. You have to draw the line in the sand.

Thanks my shirt, it's just an area that can be really good or really bad and I love what I do. A few years ago it was really bad and social welfare told me I was not eligible for any assistance even though I had nothing in my account.
    Things picked up then and I was off again. But, wages after all expenses can be bad and I know lots of people in same position.

Advertisement