Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I get €2500 pw off the scratch. Ten dead cats with birth certs goes a long way. I'll be away in the Caymans for the next week or so on business but the Job-bridge lady can handle your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Clearly not if your "advice" is to go sign on!
    In my area, business can be great or it can be bad, I have no control over that. At times it dies improve and at times it isn't good. Famous area for it.
    If you don't mind, I'm not here for your "advice" on my business but to give a comment on the first post.

Well, it cant have been that great now can it if by your own admission you take home a pittance most weeks?
    So its mostly been bad then.

Also, its a forum.
    Dont post if you dont want opinions :P

I get €2500 pw off the scratch. Ten dead cats with birth certs goes a long way. I'll be away in the Caymans for the next week or so on business but the Job-bridge lady can handle your replies.

But did you make sure the cats had a hape of kittens first so you could rake in the child benefit and the free buggies?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Smidge wrote: »
    Well, it cant have been that great now can it if by your own admission you take home a pittance most weeks?
    So its mostly been bad then.

Also, its a forum.
    Dont post if you dont want opinions :P

You don't need to question the validity or reasoning behind my business. No, it has not been mostly bad, but it can be very quiet. As I have said many times, it is just the area I am in.
    Again, my comment was why people like those mentioned in original post annoy me so much.

But did you make sure the cats had a hape of kittens first so you could rake in the child benefit and the free buggies?
    :D

No, but I did make sure and collect the free mobile phones and taxi license for each and every stray.

• Advertisement

No, but I did make sure and collect the free mobile phones and taxi license for each and every stray.

Pffft...Amatuer

You don't need to question the validity or reasoning behind my business. No, it has not been mostly bad, but it can be very quiet. As I have said many times, it is just the area I am in.
    Again, my comment was why people like those mentioned in original post annoy me so much.

Thats how a thread works...
    You post something, people reply whether you like the response or not.
    Its AH, everything is questioned.

Again, if you aint making an income(and you said you are mid 30's not owing a home)how could this business you are running be seen as a long term viable concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Not discussing my business anymore thanks.
    To repeat my original point again, people like the guy mentioned in the original post sicken me.
    Time for the system to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'd say a party who promised to cut the welfare state would do well with middle voters at this stage. I do think people are getting to stage where they are at the end of their patience for this especially after the austerity.
    yeah totally agree, the one budget I personally have no tolerance for seeing an increase in, is the welfare budget, pay off national debt, invest in infrastructure, hire more teachers, guards, reduce child care costs etc, lower the marginal rate of tax, hell there might even be some merit in restoring some of the PS pay cuts, but the notion that welfare will be increased to me, is beyond laughable.
    Again, if you aint making an income(and you said you are mid 30's not owing a home)how could this business you are running be seen as a long term viable concern?
    quick, get onto the ladder before you miss the boat...

Not discussing my business anymore thanks.
    To repeat my original point again, people like the guy mentioned in the original post sicken me.
    Time for the system to change.

And people who come on with their hand wringing, poor mealy mouth, "I'm working so hard but take home way less than social welfare on a regular basis" make me laugh.
    So because you are not doing well at your business, we should change the ENTIRE system to suit you? lol
    Cant do business?
    Then dont. Get a job working for someone else and earn a wage.
    Dont take one example of a person in the system as a general and vilify the system because it suits your need to soapbox.

• Advertisement

Dont take one example of a person in the system as a general and vilify the system because it suits your need to soapbox.
    I will vilify this pathetic system, it is way out of line with any of our european partners, it simply isnt tolerated, the Uk's welfare system has been severely curtailed and I saw from the conservatives election manifesto that they intend on going after it further if re-elected, this is on rates well below here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

And people who come on with their hand wringing, poor mealy mouth, "I'm working so hard but take home way less than social welfare on a regular basis" make me laugh.
    So because you are not doing well at your business, we should change the ENTIRE system to suit you? lol
    Cant do business?
    Then dont. Get a job working for someone else and earn a wage.

The system is very flawed. That is beyond doubt. Your staunch defence of it doesn't convince many tbh, not least for the extortionate amount these same "people" you speak of have to pay in taxes (and are not entitled to a scrap themselves should things turn for worse). Y'know those taxes that subsidise the likes of the person in the OP.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I will vilify this pathetic system, it is way out of line with any of our european partners, it simply isnt tolerated, the Uk's welfare system has been severely curtailed and I saw from the conservatives election manifesto that they intend on going after it further if re-elected, this is on rates well below here...

Maybe take it up with the people who seem to be reluctant despite their many empty promises to create employment.
    Oh wait, they did.
    Jobsbridge :rolleyes:

I will never get the mentality of utter begrudgery. The VAST majority of people in receipt of SW want to work. They are not surviving on the pittance they receive and sink further into poverty.
    And yet, we still get people yammering on about how generous it is and aren't we wonderful to be providing for these unwashed miscreants.
    And the usual claptrap..."I'd be better off on SW"
    Really??
    Go ahead, jack it in and sign on and see what a charmed life you'll lead.
    I heard last week was free Smart TV and foreign holiday giveaway week down at the dole office.
    Instead of contributing through our tax, and dont forget thats what it is, as most people in receipt of SW HAVE worked and paid their taxes to provide for this payment, maybe we should just invest in a large Soylent factory.
    Would create employment, i suppose ;)

EazyD wrote: »
    The system is very flawed. That is beyond doubt. Your staunch defence of it doesn't convince many tbh, not least for the extortionate amount these same "people" you speak of have to pay in taxes (and are not entitled to a scrap themselves should things turn for worse). Y'know those taxes that subsidise the likes of the person in the OP.

And again, he is the minority.
    People always bandwagon of these threads. One case and its the "norm"

Most people on SW are struggling at best. You put your best face forward and crack jokes. People do that. Nobody likes to display weakness. If people take these jokes for gospel truth then it is the responsibility of the gullible to question their own intelligence.

Instead of contributing through our tax, and dont forget thats what it is, as most people in receipt of SW HAVE worked and paid their taxes to provide for this payment, maybe we should just invest in a large Soylent factory.
    Would create employment, i suppose
    20,000,000,0000 a year is the welfare budget, to say it is a spectacular amount for a population of 4.5 million would be a massive understatement. This "have worked and paid their taxes" comment, yeah some have paid a fortune in, there are a huge amount working, contributing virtually nothing in direct taxes. Lets say you are on 18,000 a year, you pay E705 a year in direct taxes, it would pay job seekers allowance for less than for less than 4 weeks! LOL!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/the-real-life-numbers-behind-populist-tax-rates-1.2104873
    The real-life numbers behind populist tax rates
    A key part of Sinn Féin’s plans is to raise taxes on people earning over €100,000

Populist politicians get away with murder when talking about their spending and tax promises; as soon as we get into details most people have tuned out. This is quite understandable: use and abuse of dry statistics means that facts rarely inform this debate.
    For example, a key part of Sinn Féin’s fiscal plans is to raise taxes on people in the lucky position of earning over €100,000. An argument then ensues about how much money such a policy change would raise. There is even a row over what the current marginal tax rate is, let alone what it might be under any new regime.
    Some politicians and think-tank analysts like to claim that our tax rates are relatively low, using numbers that conveniently don’t label USC as a tax and mis-measure self-employment income.

What are the facts? According to some very helpful datasets recently supplied by Revenue there will be 129,919 people (more technically tax-paying “units”) earning over €100,000 this year. (There are a total of 2,341,200 tax units/payers in the country).
    High earners
    High earners comprise 6 per cent of all taxpayers. They will hand over 43 per cent of all income tax and USC in 2015. High earners will cough up € 7.5 billion. Depending on whether they are self-employed or PAYE they will face marginal rates of tax of either 52 per cent or 55 per cent.
    Any discussion of where marginal rates of tax might end up and how much revenue can be raised has to start from these basic facts. Tax modelling will assume some incentive and other effects from tax changes, such that when rates go up some people work less and others spend more on tax advisers. There will be negative knock-on effects for the broader economy
    According to Revenue, an increase of the top rate of tax by 1 per cent will raise €225 million in a full year. But of the 433,600 people who pay the top rate, only 30 per cent earn €100,000 or more. So a lot less than €225 million will be raised by a high earners’ levy. I reckon about €130 million at most. If we are to talk serious money eye-watering increases in taxes for high earners will have to be implemented.
    What will be the economic consequences of a marginal tax rate of 60+ per cent? I suspect there will be fewer high earners and plenty of visits to accountants. The economy will be smaller. And it should be noted that very few of our trading partners tax €100,000 incomes in this way.
    High earners are also threatened with additional wealth taxes (we already have plenty of these). Recent data prompted left-leaning think tank NERI to conclude that new wealth taxes would not actually yield very much. No surprise there.
    At the other end of the scale we have a problem with low earners. No, this is not another analysis of relative poverty levels but merely an observation of another fact: nearly 33 per cent of self-employed people earn less than €20,000 a year. (It’s actually worse than that because of the way self-employed income is recorded). That’s 82,000 members of our entrepreneurial classes making a lot less than average industrial earnings.
    And because it is assumed that they must be claiming expenses not allowable for PAYE workers, they don’t get similar tax credits. This means that these lower-paid self-employed workers often face much higher effective tax rates than their PAYE counterparts.
    No income tax
    Some more facts: this year 881,700 people will pay no income tax at all. That’s 38 per cent of all income earners. Some 648,700 people, 28 per cent of workers, will pay neither tax nor USC.
    It is an understandable imperative to “lift as many people as possible out of the tax net”. It is only right for the low paid to pay less. But we should be careful about what we wish for: cynical politicians can now ask 38 per cent of workers to vote for tax-raising polices with the not so subtle message that this will only involve tax hikes for someone else. Who says we are all in this together?
    If I was a populist politician I would pretend that tax increases on high earners will have no negative economic consequences and will generate cash to facilitate handouts to anyone who votes for me.

20,000,000,0000 a year is the welfare budget, to say it is a spectacular amount for a population of 4.5 million would be a massive understatement. This "have worked and paid their taxes" comment, yeah some have paid a fortune in, there are a huge amount working, contributing virtually nothing in direct taxes. Lets say you are on 18,000 a year, you pay E705 a year in direct taxes, it would pay job seekers allowance for less than for less than 4 weeks! LOL!

You do realise that also includes Child benefit, Pension, Disability etc?

I take it your parents never received a penny for you in CB, or if they did, handed it back straight away?

Or should we just euthanise all of those pesky old folks now that they aren't contributing anymore?

Or feck all of those annoying disabled kids out of their wheelchairs that we as the taxpayer are paying for? Bloody layabouts, up and walk with ya ;)

Again, we wont agree on this(as before ;)).
    You see people who are at their lowest ebb in our SOCIETY as leeches and a burden.
    Me?
    I thank my lucky stars and have empathy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

lazza14 wrote: »
    To them that's like watching Jeremy Clarkson and Robert Fisk discussing the finer politics of the western world - followed by an episode of Breaking Bad and top of with a BluRay screening of Interstellar.

Paxman, surely?

I take it your parents never received a penny for you in CB, or if they did, handed it back straight away?
    no they are were and are massive net benefactors to the state, but cheers for the aul CB government, they did get that back for thousands of euro a month in income taxes, they got that and, eh, actually yeah that is it, some phenomenal largesse from the government on that front... Childcare costs and everything else, well you know where we stand on that, they really are great for the working man...

Some people need a hand up, no endless handouts. Ultimately of course I blame the system more than those taking advantage of it...

you know what, a lot of the "derz no jobz brigade" voted in their droves for an anti reform, anti enterprise party, i.e. Labour, you reap what you sow... They should try connecting the dots next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could offer me 8000 per week, I would still not have 8 kids hanging after me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd say a party who promised to cut the welfare state would do well with middle voters at this stage. I do think people are getting to stage where they are at the end of their patience for this especially after the austerity.

How much austerity has that sponger had? Think about that going to work in the morning.

So, because you read about one traveler who is in a position to get hundreds from the SW, you want to make it shit for everyone.

Nice.

Yes, MOST weeks. I live on an extremely small wage - most weeks less than social welfare.
    Yes, as a business owner, I HAVE to pay revenue. Businesses HAVE to pay revenue regardless.
    Roll your eyes all you want, that is my fact and my thoughts on people like him.

With respect, you need a new line of business.

20,000,000,0000 a year is the welfare budget

60% of which goes on pensions, disability and child support.

Here's an idea, why don't you tell the state that you'll forgo your state pension and that you'll leave it for someone with a better attitude.

:pac:

Ultimately of course I blame the system more than those taking advantage of it...

And that's why there'll be few who'll be bothered to take you seriously. Your "argument" is based on pure pettiness. There will always be some (emphasis on some) who'll be able to take advantage of a system...EVERY system.

That's not a call for abandoning the entire system however.

It is a kind of drug - feeling superior to someone else. For the unimaginative, it is readily supplied in the form of the artificial employed / unemployed divide.
    In reality we all cross the same roads, sit beside each other on the same bus, and breathe the same air. We even die of the same diseases.
    I suppose it stops our self-appointed employed superiors from taking their frustrations out on small animals.
    Off now, little battery hens, to your workplaces....where the boss will belittle you because you didn't count the paperclips. But you're a big man online so you'll vent it out tonight, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, because you read about one traveler who is in a position to get hundreds from the SW, you want to make it shit for everyone.

Nice.

A suggestion that someone might tackle a system that doesn't work is making it **** for everyone?

Hyperbole much?

If someone is saying "cut the welfare state", there isn't much room for doubt that that means anything other than making things shite for everyone that has found themselves in need of said welfare state.

If someone is saying "cut the welfare state", there isn't much room for doubt that that means anything other than making things shite for everyone that has found themselves in need of said welfare state.

SW is one of our largest expenditures as a state, in dire need of reform. Tiresome arguments that reforming it will make life difficult for people are just meant to stifle any debate on the matter.

No one on welfare is willing to take a cut on any payment but reform will mean some get more and a lot more will get less. People should get the help they need, not what they feel they are entitled to.

Unfortunately that is part of being dependent on the welfare system, you are at the mercy of the state and policy makers of the day.

So you're another one who'll be refusing their state pension then yeh, or won't bother claiming the dole if your job goes tits up.

Good man.

• Advertisement

So you're another one who'll be refusing their state pension then yeh, or won't bother claiming the dole if your job goes tits up.

Good man.

No better argument than that? You've already used it once. Try harder.

I take it you're on some form of welfare.

I won't be relying on the state pension or dole, my private pension is very well funded, as are my other investments. Ill certainly avail of them if I'm in the situation but dependency on the state is not something that ever appealed to me.

Advertisement