Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    Small scale mass produced? OK, you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Do you actually have a business plan for this?

Small scale as in one employee (me). Mass produced as in can be upscaled to any number I can handle within the confines of the workshop I'm building. If all goes well, I have plenty of room to expand.

And no, my meeting with the small business enterprise crowd hasn't been scheduled yet as my meeting with the SW officials in connection with changing my claim isn't until the 26th of this month.

Now, enough about me. Why are you so sniffy about people trying to make a go of themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

You don't need to be more of a use to me Shrap, you need to be more of a use to your family and making a few ornaments, the type generally imported from China at very low cost, is going to cut it.

3 years from now if you have a thriving business, I'll happily put my hands up and say I was wrong. I won't need to though. You will be much better off moving somewhere with more opportunities and doing something a bit more realistic. Aim higher than McDonald's though.

If you think I'm being harsh take your business idea over to the entrepreneurial and business management forum and have them critique it for you. You'll find I won't be alone in my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You don't need to be more of a use to me Shrap, you need to be more of a use to your family and making a few ornaments, the type generally imported from China at very low cost, is going to cut it.

3 years from now if you have a thriving business, I'll happily put my hands up and say I was wrong. I won't need to though. You will be much better off moving somewhere with more opportunities and doing something a bit more realistic. Aim higher than McDonald's though.

If you think I'm being harsh take your business idea over to the entrepreneurial and business management forum and have them critique it for you. You'll find I won't be alone in my thinking.

Someone said that to my mother in law when she started doing wedding flowers. 10 yrs on she is still doing it in her 70's and employs two people.

Shrap wrote: »
    Small scale as in one employee (me). Mass produced as in can be upscaled to any number I can handle within the confines of the workshop I'm building. If all goes well, I have plenty of room to expand.

And no, my meeting with the small business enterprise crowd hasn't been scheduled yet as my meeting with the SW officials in connection with changing my claim isn't until the 26th of this month.

Now, enough about me. Why are you so sniffy about people trying to make a go of themselves?

I'm delighted to see people make a go of things, I think you are being a little unrealistic though. Seriously go to the E&BM forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Time to bring in limits on how much welfare someone can get like they have in the UK.

Welfare dependency is in no-ones interests.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Someone said that to my mother in law when she started doing wedding flowers. 10 yrs on she is still doing it in her 70's and employs two people.

Anecdotes are great but of no real value. Sharp clearly has no business plan for this. She is making the classic mistake of starting a business she likes not something there is a demand for.

It's not a business until it sells, it's just a hobby otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How is he even getting that much a week I wouldn't get that much in a month way less than that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I have no problem with the state paying £840 a week to ensure the welfare of 8 innocent children. What I do have a problem with is the state giving this man £840 a week in the hope that he will spend it on his 8 children. In many cases such as this the money is spent on booze, fags, take aways, cars, tvs etc. The money doesnt go to the kids. The fcker should be made produce recepits for every penny of that money to prove it went on clothes, food, general welfar and entertainment for those children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Is that right? Have you seen my work? I'd love to know where, seeing as the skill set needed to create molds of the work I do is limited to very few people and when I say "cornering the market", it means just that. It does not mean praying angels by the fountain or Chinese made resin hedgehogs in the garden centres.

Your post is genuinely the most depressing, pessimistic and personal put down I have ever had the displeasure of reading. Thanks for that, you utter head-wreck :pac: Kisses xxx

And I'm out.

Burn the witch....burn her, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

That's over twice my wage for 40hrs and I'm a bit above minimum :( *sulks*

• Advertisement

Anecdotes are great but of no real value. Sharp clearly has no business plan for this. She is making the classic mistake of starting a business she likes not something there is a demand for.

It's not a business until it sells, it's just a hobby otherwise.

They have plenty of value. If everyone with an idea listened to naysayers like you how many potential business would never get off the ground? There are always people who talk down someone who wants to start their own business and they are right to be concerned because its not easy but you don't know where you're idea will take you until you try. Shrap doesn't have to come on here and lay out her entire plan for your approval and you have some cheek asking her to do so. She has a plan and that's more than a lot of people, the guy this thread is about for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

SW is a poverty trap. You'll always struggle on it. Maintaining or increasing basic payments won't help anyone, just keep them in the trap longer. Spend that money giving the people who have some get up and go the support the need to get an education, get a job or start a business.
    yeah this, I am all for spending the money on smaller class sizes, new and improved schools, making college more affordable. Increased spending on the capital budget, more guards, nurses etc whatever is genuinely needed. what I am dead against at this stage, is compounding our problems by increasing welfare, by under funding other areas, narrowing or decreasing the argument to even bother working, having penal rates of tax that result increased black market activity, people not taking extra hours or promotions due to penal rates, the people we actually want to stay here, upping and leaving due to said income tax rates, and if they have children, the insane cost of childcare and housing here...People from other countries who could make a big contribution here not coming here due to particularly penal income rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So you want to be funded to stay at home, in the location you choose, that you admit yourself has no resources available, so you can be with your children all the time?

The whole point of encouraging people to live in cities is that it is easier to deliver resources to people concentrated in one area.

You need to sell your house and move somewhere there's jobs, education and childcare available. A lot of people are in your situation and most of them do what they have to work. If McDonald's is all you aim for its all you'll get.

I can see you have no empathy alright. ;)
    There is no way in hell I think someone should up sticks from the home they own in the country to move into unemployment and probably a tough area in one of our cities.
    Long term it could be a disaster for the kids.
    I don't think you are willing to make any hard decisions and put the effort in. You'd prefer to have the state fund your family's existence for the next, what, 10 years until the kids are finished school.

Complaining about how little you have to live on when you didn't mention you own your house is a bit disingenuous.

There's a serious sense of entitlement about you.

I think you are being unfair on the poster.
    I know it sounds funny, but they are the type that we need more of on social welfare.
    i.e. they are being careful with the money they do get, they are making plans, concrete plans at that (sorry couldn't resist) to start a new business for their future.

The problem with welfare in this country is that there are too many like the aforementioned gent in Stocking lane whose idea of a plan is to leave the bookies early next saturday to get more drinking time down the local boozer.

The other problem in this country is our social welfare system is actively creating future generations of welfare dependents whose sole contribution to society will probably be column inches in the local newspaper court reports.

Honest decent hardworking people can't afford to have more than a couple of kids whilst this excuse for a human can have 8.
    What are the bets those 8 kids will end up like their parents, leeching off the state and the 2 kids belonging to you or me ?

I am not allowed discuss …

They have plenty of value. If everyone with an idea listened to naysayers like you how many potential business would never get off the ground? There are always people who talk down someone who wants to start their own business and they are right to be concerned because its not easy but you don't know where you're idea will take you until you try. Shrap doesn't have to come on here and lay out her entire plan for your approval and you have some cheek asking her to do so. She has a plan and that's more than a lot of people, the guy this thread is about for instance.

Seriously take it to E&BM. See what other posters think.

Seriously take it to E&BM. See what other posters think.

No one can say without seeing the product, info on costs, potential market etc. You can't judge on a two line description. But you clearly can so well done.

Shrap if you are still reading, best of luck with it, you know your product better than anyone, give it your best shot.

Shrap wrote: »
    Is that right? Have you seen my work? I'd love to know where, seeing as the skill set needed to create molds of the work I do is limited to very few people and when I say "cornering the market", it means just that. It does not mean praying angels by the fountain or Chinese made resin hedgehogs in the garden centres.

Your post is genuinely the most depressing, pessimistic and personal put down I have ever had the displeasure of reading. Thanks for that, you utter head-wreck :pac: Kisses xxx

And I'm out.

Burn the witch....burn her, I say!

You aren't going to last long in business unless you toughen up a bit.

What I have just said to you is exactly what banks will say, what distributors and customers will say. Having done it I can tell you it's not easy.

You aren't going to last long in business unless you toughen up a bit.

What I have just said to you is exactly what banks will say, what distributors and customers will say. Having done it I can tell you it's not easy.

The banks will have a tangible product to work with so at least their comments and advice will be based on actual knowledge rather than speculation as yours is. I'm really surprised that someone who has been there isn't more encouraging. No one is saying its easy but that doesn't mean you should shoot someone down for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I take it you're on some form of welfare.

:confused:

Because I believe in a robust social welfare system?

You're a real genius.
    I won't be relying on the state pension or dole, my private pension is very well funded, as are my other investments. Ill certainly avail of them if I'm in the situation but dependency on the state is not something that ever appealed to me.

Aren't ya just great!

:pac:

You better hope your present circumstances stay the same for ever.

But, nothing ever changes does it. Does it?

*pro tip* When your shit changes, you present bitter little attitude won't help you one iota. ;)

The banks will have a tangible product to work with so at least their comments and advice will be based on actual knowledge rather than speculation as yours is. I'm really surprised that someone who has been there isn't more encouraging. No one is saying its easy but that doesn't mean you should shoot someone down for trying.

I'm not shooting anyone down. I don't think her idea is feasible in its current form. Manufactured products like what she is suggesting can't compete with Asian imports. She can try to market it as craft/art work but the market for that is very small and won't sustain a business.

It's very easy to listen to encouragement and praise but it's the criticism you need to pay attention to. You don't let it stop you but you take it on board and use to make your plan stronger.

She's great for trying but it's a good example of how people aren't willing to consider all options and end up stuck on SW.

Tony EH wrote: »
    :confused:

Because I believe in a robust social welfare system?

You're a real genius.

Aren't ya just great!

You better hope your present circumstances stay the same for ever.

But, nothing ever changes does it. Does it?

*pro tip* When your shit changes, you present bitter little attitude won't help you one iota. ;)

A little bit bitter yourself today Tony?

I'll be just fine, don't worry about me.

*pro tip*? Haha, talk to me when you grow up.

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    The problem is he's disadvantaged and the state should give him more money.
    Imagine only to be able to get drunk enough to lie in the middle of the road only once a week.
    That's depraved. More money and another house for the chap should fix things.

Actually, he should be in jail. He has 42 convictions.

But, let's focus on the social welfare issue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he has grown up. he just sees everything for how it is, and doesn't take it that everything is a one size all situation

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I'm not shooting anyone down. I don't think her idea is feasible in its current form. Manufactured products like what she is suggesting can't compete with Asian imports. She can try to market it as craft/art work but the market for that is very small and won't sustain a business.

It's very easy to listen to encouragement and praise but it's the criticism you need to pay attention to. You don't let it stop you but you take it on board and use to make your plan stronger.

She's great for trying but it's a good example of how people aren't willing to consider all options and end up stuck on SW.

Her idea was a couple of lines in a post, you can't judge it on that basis. You don't know the first thing about the quality of the product, the cost involved, margins, potential market etc

Yes you can buy cheap garden things but not everyone wants cheap. I'd pay money for something handmade and unique. I bought a baguette yesterday from a new bakery for 2.20, could have got a bigger one in Lidl for 0.75 but I wanted something special.

I used to sell hand knitted items in a local market from time to time, people could just pop into Dunnes but when you have the money to do so, its sometimes nicer to get something handmade. Same logic applies to Shraps products. Not everyone wants cheap and mass produced.

I did my growing up a long time ago.

he has grown up. he just sees everything for how it is, and doesn't take it that everything is a one size all situation

So suggesting that reforming the system and reducing certain core payments while increasing and developing programs and incentives to get people back to work or education is a one size fits all situation to you?

The targeted use of resources is a one size fits all solution?

Do you pick random phrases to throw into your posts each day?

Tony EH wrote: »
    I did my growing up a long time ago.

Of course you did Tony, hence the need to use nonsense phrases and lack answers for anything put to you.

Her idea was a couple of lines in a post, you can't judge it on that basis. You don't know the first thing about the quality of the product, the cost involved, margins, potential market etc

Yes you can buy cheap garden things but not everyone wants cheap. I'd pay money for something handmade and unique. I bought a baguette yesterday from a new bakery for 2.20, could have got a bigger one in Lidl for 0.75 but I wanted something special.

I used to sell hand knitted items in a local market from time to time, people could just pop into Dunnes but when you have the money to do so, its sometimes nicer to get something handmade. Same logic applies to Shraps products. Not everyone wants cheap and mass produced.

I can judge it on the information she gave and I don't think it's scalable to the point where it's a viable business. Like I said I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Time to bring in limits on how much welfare someone can get like they have in the UK.

Bring down the cost of living to UK standards too and everybody will be on board for that.

Of course you did Tony, hence the need to use nonsense phrases and lack answers for anything put to you.

There isn't any sense in answering ignorant statements.

:/

• Advertisement

I can judge it on the information she gave and I don't think it's scalable to the point where it's a viable business. Like I said I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

You pretty much told the poster she should give up on it with the barest of information to go on. Not one scrap of encouragement either. You can be realistic about things without pissing on someone's parade.

Advertisement