Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

That would be the ideal. You lose your job, you get 75% of your previous wage for x amount of time, then 50%, then 25% and so on.

The ideal time to implement this would have been during the boom years. It would be impossible to do now until we seriously reduce unemployment to more moderate levels and until job opportunities are more plentiful.
    Agreed. It's a reform to consider during a period of stability, just like the Germans reformed their welfare system from 2003-2005. We could learn a lot from their experience. They now have full employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Shrap wrote: »
    Haven't got a spare room! I hope to convert the stone shed though, for just that reason. I'm half way there with the insulation in and the mains water and esb gone out to it, but I decided I'd have to build my workshop first as I'll be slapped onto jobseekers allowance this year now my youngest is 13. It'll come, all in it's own time. :)

You will have some craic with that.

When you get the spare room up and running, along with the new venture, look up a site called workaway.com. Basically, it's a site for young travellers who are looking for a place that offers room and board for a couple of months in exchange for working on the farm, au-pairing and so forth. They get a room for a few months, you get an employee.

They vet potential employers but you seem like a decent skin so shouldnt have any problems there.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://www.workaway.info/hostlist-IE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

You will have some craic with that.

When you get the spare room up and running, along with the new venture, look up a site called workaway.com. Basically, it's a site for young travellers who are looking for a place that offers room and board for a couple of months in exchange for working on the farm, au-pairing and so forth. They get a room for a few months, you get an employee.

They vet potential employers but you seem like a decent skin so shouldnt have any problems there.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://www.workaway.info/hostlist-IE.html
    Ta much! Yes, that's done a lot around here with the wwoofers (willing workers on organic farms), but actually what you get is a lot of spoofers. My neighbours have them staying a lot, as they have a market gardening enterprise, but what you find is that they often can't work by themselves without supervision and you end up running after them all day, as well as cooking for extra people and bringing them from and to the airport/next place they're staying.

The neighbours have had some fantastic and lovely people, but about 50% are useless to you. I can't afford useless. I'd rather do holiday lets, as I'm close to an amenity and it would be self catering. That's a way away though! But cheers for the thoughts, keep em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

conorh91 wrote: »
    Look, the problem in Ireland is not the payment rates, it's the ease with which claimants can maintain indefinite claims on those payments.

I would like to see a situation like that which arises in some EU neighbours, whereby a worker maintains a proportion of his previous income for a limited period of time only. After that, he needs to find a job, or show genuine and dire need of a very low payment. That would be genuine social insurance.

Except the problem is is that there are not enough jobs to go around.

The operative part of the sentence above for slow people out there is:

---->NOT ENOUGH JOBS<----

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tony EH wrote: »

You could say not enough jobs for people with the wrong skills

We are importing certain IT workers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

I am recent honours graduate in engineering and getting 20k. Better I didn't do any college FFS just lay at home lol

Stheno wrote: »
    You could say not enough jobs for people with the wrong skills

We are importing certain IT workers

No.

There is simply not enough jobs.

It's very simple.

Agreed. It's a reform to consider during a period of stability, just like the Germans reformed their welfare system from 2003-2005. We could learn a lot from their experience. They now have full employment.

Ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Ahem...

Tony, read this very slowly:
    It's a reform to consider during a period of stability

Conor, we've had one period of real stability in my lifetime and we are not and will not be close to another period like that for a long, long time.

The fact is Ireland doesn't produce enough work for its citizens on anywhere near a regular basis.

THAT is Ireland's problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Ahem...

And too many folk having 8 Kids.

What? Really?

The largest family from people in my age bracket that I know is 3 and the last one was an accident.

What? Really?

The largest family from people in my age bracket that I know is 3 and the last one was an accident.

Well the bloke described in the OP apparently has 8. Of course the rest of us have to pay for this..........

Ah well, at least one part of him works properly.:rolleyes:

That's one traveler.

ONE traveler.

That certainly doesn't equate to "...too many folk having 8 Kids"

That's one traveler.

ONE traveler.

That certainly doesn't equate to "...too many folk having 8 Kids"

Travellers & the unemployed tend to have more children than the norm.

A LOT MORE.

Everyone knows this & it's all grand, untill it comes to light as to where all the money comes from to look after them all.

Oh that's why the population is over 4000000. It's all the people without a job having 8 kids.

:pac:

Ya know there's generalising and then there's just talking shite. ;)

The vast majority of people in receipt of social welfare are not spurting out kids like there's no tomorrow.

Oh that's why the population is over 4000000. It's all the people without a job having 8 kids.

:pac:

Ya know there's generalising and then there's just talking shite. ;)

The vast majority of people in receipt of social welfare are not spurting out kids like there's no tomorrow.

Yeah, there's generalising out there alright.

Would you agree though there's a tight minority of folk out there that tries to justify the unjustafiable?

People who never have to live near a Halting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭midaev1

catallus wrote: »
    It's only €40320 a year.

Peanuts, really....

how can you say its only 40320 a yr?>
    WTF man... its bleeding more than twice of my wage. and i'm fecken working 6 days. every week all the fecken time.

F****EN SAKEN lads. this just drives me madd. wages for ppl who work less. absolutely shhit and someone who just busy in bed all the time gets fecken this month. 40320? and i'm truglling to get 20k. aah here, this is nutss

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He has earned it. Haters gun' hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

midaev1 wrote: »
    how can you say its only 40320 a yr?>
    WTF man... its bleeding more than twice of my wage. and i'm fecken working 6 days. every week all the fecken time.

F****EN SAKEN lads. this just drives me madd. wages for ppl who work less. absolutely shhit and someone who just busy in bed all the time gets fecken this month. 40320? and i'm truglling to get 20k. aah here, this is nutss

Be grand. Would you rather have eight kids and live in a caravan?
    Lucky you have a job in this day and age. No recession in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Be grand. Would you rather have eight kids and live in a caravan?
    Lucky you have a job in this day and age. No recession in your house.

Why is he living in a caravan and not in 1 of the 2 houses he has?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Just for everybody's information, this guy has clearly qualified for Family Income Supplement, which means he has a low-paid job. To qualify for FIS, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. The FIS you receive is 60% of the difference between your average weekly family income and the income limit which applies to your family. You also have to be an employee and not self-employed.

The problem here is not the standard SW rate, but the FIS income limits for that size of a family compared to what folks who aren't on FIS have to survive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Shrap wrote: »
    Just for everybody's information, this guy has clearly qualified for Family Income Supplement, which means he has a low-paid job. To qualify for FIS, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. The FIS you receive is 60% of the difference between your average weekly family income and the income limit which applies to your family. You also have to be an employee and not self-employed.

The problem here is not the standard SW rate, but the FIS income limits for that size of a family compared to what folks who aren't on FIS have to survive on.

Fair play, Shrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

I saw a FIS poster on a bus once ....

Low income?
    Struggling or something to that effect ...
    FIS could help

Someone added a H with a marker so it read

"FISh could help"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have personally seen a woman with two young kids left with £3000 of debts and esb and gas at the door to cut her supply shortly after she threw out her cheating husband claw her way back to solvency within a year with the help of the M.A.B.S. and her only income the single parent family payment.

She managed to go on a two week holiday with her children after the first year and they went to Disneyland the following year for a 4-5 day stay.

she was always a wife and mother but was preparing for finding herself work as a cleaner or whatever other job was available for totally "unskilled" people for when her kids were older and could get home from school and look after themselves for an hour or two, her reason for this was for when her children were in college and needing money for extras not covered by grants etc.

Her only vice was smoking maybe 10-15 cigarettes a day and going for a coffee with a friend once a week between collecting her money in the post office and doing the shopping in Aldi.

Most people on benefits are exactly the same as far as money goes! they have day to day expenses covered for a hand to mouth existence but if something like a school tour to the zoo cones up there is never extra for that.

I agree that people living on €800+ state payments should not be spending any money on drink but if they are then they most likely have income coming from some other source because Newsflash people, Children cost a huge amount of money every week!

If they have extra income it must be found out and the scummers must repay what hey have defrauded the state but even with a lot of fraud the system is not broken but the staff are not properly policing it!

Local investigations officers who are very well paid should be visiting courthouses and getting the names of all those up on drink/drugs related offences and cut their payments immediately. their wives can apply for subsistence payments from community welfare.

We never hear of the honest people who are just about scraping by with help from charities and generous relatives. all we hear about are one or two scumbags who abuse a system that works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

He has earned it. Haters gun' hate.

r u serious?and u are a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'm on Disability Allowance and receive the maximum amount for a single adult (€188)

I think I'd rather have the €188 with zero kids to my name than €840 with 8 kids though, I value my sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have personally seen a woman with two young kids left with £3000 of debts and esb and gas at the door to cut her supply shortly after she threw out her cheating husband claw her way back to solvency within a year with the help of the M.A.B.S. and her only income the single parent family payment.

She managed to go on a two week holiday with her children after the first year and they went to Disneyland the following year for a 4-5 day stay.

she was always a wife and mother but was preparing for finding herself work as a cleaner or whatever other job was available for totally "unskilled" people for when her kids were older and could get home from school and look after themselves for an hour or two, her reason for this was for when her children were in college and needing money for extras not covered by grants etc.

Her only vice was smoking maybe 10-15 cigarettes a day and going for a coffee with a friend once a week between collecting her money in the post office and doing the shopping in Aldi.

Most people on benefits are exactly the same as far as money goes! they have day to day expenses covered for a hand to mouth existence but if something like a school tour to the zoo cones up there is never extra for that.

I agree that people living on €800+ state payments should not be spending any money on drink but if they are then they most likely have income coming from some other source because Newsflash people, Children cost a huge amount of money every week!

If they have extra income it must be found out and the scummers must repay what hey have defrauded the state but even with a lot of fraud the system is not broken but the staff are not properly policing it!

Local investigations officers who are very well paid should be visiting courthouses and getting the names of all those up on drink/drugs related offences and cut their payments immediately. their wives can apply for subsistence payments from community welfare.

We never hear of the honest people who are just about scraping by with help from charities and generous relatives. all we hear about are one or two scumbags who abuse a system that works quite well.
    because stories about the ones abusing the system sells papers and gets the oul rabel rabel brigade going on facebook and on the radio talk shows

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So Hang on after all that Dole bashing, He works. Anything to sell a few papers I guess and Keep tour betters enraged over people on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

So Hang on after all that Dole bashing, He works. Anything to sell a few papers I guess and Keep tour betters enraged over people on the dole.

There is a positive in everything, he sells a few newspapers !

Fair play to you for spotting that positive to it all !

Advertisement