Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

There are many more like him. I always find it astonishing that many of these people with a similar name to that person are able to buy new cars and vans every year or two yet they have never worked s day in their life, never contributed one iota to society but have more money than anyone else.

*cough* nixers *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

I remember handing in my notice for a job once.
    There was a month between leaving the old job and starting the new job.
    Offer accepted. Contracts signed etc.

So I went to apply for the dole for the 4 weeks I would be idle.
    They rejected the application, stating that I had willingly left my old job.
    I had to go through a community welfare officer to get satisfaction which was a hassle.

Why the hell was I paying PRSI then while working all along, then get treated like some dole scrounger when I had a legitimate claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So if your on 120k for a decade with various dependancies and suddenly lose your job, your straight onto 188? I was under the impression that you get far more at first due to the amount of tax paid out, with the welfare sharply dropping as time goes on
    Oh jaysus no. Some other countries do this, and it's clearly the best solution, but not in Ireland.

I know at one point recently it was possible for newly unemployed people to get their mortgage interest paid by the state for a small amount of time - this would stop them going into mortgage arrears while they searched for work - but I don't know if this still exists.
    Why the hell was I paying PRSI then while working all along, then get treated like some dole scrounger when I had a legitimate claim.
    Why would you be entitled to be paid for being unemployed when you were voluntarily unemployed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I do not understand at all. I was just saying they don't need to steal with charities being there. Charities do amazing things but they do get abused.
    So, again you are saying poor people should rely on charity, not the state.
    Sorry, are you restating or refuting here?

valoren wrote: »

I had to go through a community welfare officer to get satisfaction which was a hassle.

Why didn't you hand in your notice a month later? Fact is you weren't entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

valoren wrote: »

The dole should be there to support you while you look for work, not tide you over while you take a 4 week holiday between contracts.

Your entitled attitude is as bad as that of the person in the OP's article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So, again you are saying poor people should rely on charity, not the state.
    Sorry, are you restating or refuting here?
    Not at all. How are you coming to this conclusion from what i said?

Not at all. How are you coming to this conclusion from what i said?
    How am I concluding from you telling us the poor should rely on charity that you think the poor should rely on charity?
    No idea. You have me stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The problem I have is not the 840euro because to be fair it's not the children's fault that they were born to this loser and is the alternative to really let them starve? no.
    The challenge for the state is how they prevent this happening , as it really does show social welfare as a "career" choice! For some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I should be out there pi55ed off me head and being a Cnut to women and then il get 840 a week. I knew I should've left school at 16 and done nothing!!

Well, if that's what you really want to do....Go for it! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So, this guy obviously has to get enough money to get himself drunk and enough to run a car, (except the tax disc, of course). I'm beginning to see his priorities.!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Saying it for years , pay for two kids and after that they are your problem.My cousin has a kid with his girl friend, he lives with her , rent allowance , med card and he works full time, always at the GP, my 2 kids were sick last week nearly 150 between gp and meds, system is all wrong, there are two types of people who are on welfare, those who worked and paid into the system and now have no job through no fault of their own, and those who never worked a day in their lives and all they do is take and take.
    The second group need to be sorted out, paying young girls to get pregnant is pretty stupid, all they give their kids is poverty,maybe make people work for the dole if they never paid into the system, daily log on to look for jobs like they do in the UK , don't look for work stop the money, only way to get people off their back side, maybe scale money back over time you need to get a job, and no one on benefits should earn more than the average industrial wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

jamesbere wrote: »
    Christ i'd love to see what kind of "engineering" work he does

He engineers high quality tarmacadam driveways and guttering...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Can't start the week without a Social welfare thread --- wouldn't be AH otherwise, it's tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

He engineers high quality tarmacadam driveways and guttering...

.....and babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Can't start the week without a Social welfare thread --- wouldn't be AH otherwise, it's tradition!

Followed closely by a garda/civil service bashing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Reading that I now have regrets going back into the workforce after 6 years on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In fairness to the man, there's a real knack to playing the system that well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Those eight children don't deserve or need it?
    This. The reason the welfare payment he receives is so high is because he is supporting 8 children. You can make all the other 'assumptions' you like but as long as those 8 children are under his care and relying on him the state is obliged and correct to provide money for the care of those children.

It's evolution, reversed.

"Darwin's rolling over in his coffin and the fittest start surviving much less often"
    No it's not. Looking after the weakest in our society is a sign of evolution. The fittest always do survive but there is no greater sign of a humane and just society than in how it helps the weakest in that society. It's not always going to be perfect or equal in how we help the weakest and it might not always seem fair to those who have to help out through their taxes, but it is always a worthwhile endeavour.

We don't know the full story here but we do know the man has 8 children. If he is using that welfare money to support all of those children and himself then he is not living anything close to an extravagant lifestyle as far as the state is concerned. How many people here would swap their lives for his and his 8 children tomorrow? And more importantly, ask yourself why would you like to see their lives become worse off than they are now? That family has been given welfare calculated according to their means and we have to hope that those 8 kids receive an education whereby they won't see anything desirable in living off the state for life. But they are entitled to some kind of standard of living or else that education will not mean a damn thing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

He's certainly living irresponsibly though..........those 8 kids didn't happen overnight.

Pattern of uselessness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

8 kids aged 35, he probably doesn't have time to work at that rate!

should have been sterilised 6 kids ago

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

He has 8 children, so he and his wife are getting paid for breeding.

I hope they were genomically tested to see if their genes warranted 8 children for further breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

RomanKnows wrote: »
    That's more than the average industrial wage. While a punter on the average industrial wage hands over almost 50‰ of it in taxes to help fund this. Then people who do genuinely fall on hard times and need the support of welfare get unfairly lumped in with tossers like this lad. Welcome to the modern welfare state.

I'm sure the state gets plenty of his money back too, through excise duty and betting tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:

Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.

Because your misinformed or a paranoid wreck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

K4t wrote: »
    This. The reason the welfare payment he receives is so high is because he is supporting 8 children. You can make all the other 'assumptions' you like but as long as those 8 children are under his care and relying on him the state is obliged and correct to provide money for the care of those children.
    No it's not. Looking after the weakest in our society is a sign of evolution. The fittest always do survive but there is no greater sign of a humane and just society than in how it helps the weakest in that society. It's not always going to be perfect or equal in how we help the weakest and it might not always seem fair to those who have to help out through their taxes, but it is always a worthwhile endeavour.

We don't know the full story here but we do know the man has 8 children. If he is using that welfare money to support all of those children and himself then he is not living anything close to an extravagant lifestyle as far as the state is concerned. How many people here would swap their lives for his and his 8 children tomorrow? And more importantly, ask yourself why would you like to see their lives become worse off than they are now? That family has been given welfare calculated according to their means and we have to hope that those 8 kids receive an education whereby they won't see anything desirable in living off the state for life. But they are entitled to some kind of standard of living or else that education will not mean a damn thing to them.

I used to think like this before when I was a bit younger. As i went though my twenties working my ass off, paying for education, rent and other things and seeing people like this my mind slowly changed.

I would love a house but I have to save for a few years. Cant have kids because that would mean I dont have enough money to save to buy a house.

This guy gets 840 quid a week! It will be many moons (if ever) that I am on that kind of money and when I am I will have still have to pay for all the things this guy gets handed to him.

Can you not see the unfairness in this?

I dont know what the answer to the problem is but something has to be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

RobertKK wrote: »
    He has 8 children, so he and his wife are getting paid for breeding.

I hope they were genomically tested to see if their genes warranted 8 children for further breeding.

So he's getting less than 100 a week to look after 10 people. Mystery solved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is the reality of Traveller life folks. No access to contraception for the women and a lot of children are seen as a status symbol almost. Nothing changes for these people. The best thing we can do is try and give the women some independence and teach the men to respect females but until then nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I just did my books for Jan, made a net profit of €86.48, €84 of which was a tax refund. Looks like I need to get meself on the dole and a heap of wains. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Pissed and fighting at 9.30 am, why am I not suprised his second name is McDonagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just did my books for Jan, made a net profit of €86.48, €84 of which was a tax refund. Looks like I need to get meself on the dole and a heap of wains. :)

How much did you pay yourself?

Advertisement