Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    How much did you pay yourself?

That's before I've payed myself. :o

I wonder can you take yourself up before an employment tribunal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

jonny666 wrote: »

Can you not see the unfairness in this?

I dont know what the answer to the problem is but something has to be done.
    You are still in a better off position than he is. And deep down you know it. Of course the system could and should be more efficient but you have to be careful when looking at isolated cases like this where you don't even have all of the facts and use it as an excuse to criticise the whole welfare system or the idea of it. An efficient welfare system will always seem unfair to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's before I've payed myself. :o

FFS and this loser gets 10 times that...something wrong with a system that allows total wasters to profit from sitting on their arse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

K4t wrote: »
    You are still in a better off position than he is. And deep down you know it. Of course the system could and should be more efficient but you have to be careful when looking at isolated cases like this where you don't even have all of the facts and use it as an excuse to criticise the whole welfare system or the idea of it. An efficient welfare system will always seem unfair to some.

Maybe you are right. I wouldnt swap my life for his in a second. But id bet he wouldnt swap his for mine (working, paying rent), and that is a huge problem. Its not isolated cases either. A lot of people I grew up with have been on the dole since 18. THey might get put on a FAS course of 6 months but they always end up back on the dole. They have no hope now and its their own fault.

Someone said earlier that we cant let the kids starve and how welfare can help break the cycle but in a lot of cases it just shows the kids how to play the system too. The problem is getting worse not better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why are people presuming that this €40, 000 per annum is the only source of income for these 8 kids? Their mother(s) are no doubt also in receipt of generous state payments.

And of course its counter evolutionary! Resources are taken from the fittest (hard working law abiding taxpayers) to provide limitless resources to those who dont contribute to society.

It goes back to a wider societal problem - a lack of personal responsibility and consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Why are people presuming that this €40, 000 per annum is the only source of income for these 8 kids? Their mother(s) are no doubt also in receipt of generous state payments.

And of course its counter evolutionary! Resources are taken from the fittest (hard working law abiding taxpayers) to provide limitless resources to those who dont contribute to society.

It goes back to a wider societal problem - a lack of personal responsibility and consequences.

Counter-evolutionary? So which one did you read recently, The Time Machine or Atlas Shrugged?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Counter-evolutionary? So which one did you read recently, The Time Machine or Atlas Shrugged?

Sorry neither, never heard of them, you're witticisms has soared straight over my head, try again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Anyone want to try raise eight kids I'm Dublin on €43600 a year? I wouldn't!

Not really - but if he was paying tax he'd be earning roughly 60k to come out with 840 week.

8 kids while earning 60k plus no mortgage and no medical expenses - that sounds quite a bit more do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

No. The family payment is €188 = Main Claimant
    €124 = spouse/partner
    €29.80 = each child
    This doesn't include an extra €20 per week fuel allowance for 6 months of the year. The usual thing is that the money is paid 1/2 to each parent and its not unusual to find that daddy contributes little or nothing to the running of the household so mammy is left struggling.
    is a "cultural" thing dontchano.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:

Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.

I worked through college (and paid tax) worked after college for 10 years, made redundant, returned to college to retrain, exited college and got told that I get nothing from Social Welfare.

I contributed to society all through my education and paid a sh1t load of tax while at work, yet got nothing.
    Why do you position your thread that everyone out of work wants to be so and is creaming it from the system?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Don't forgit - de Missus will be gettin "Mikkie Muny" as well ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I just did my books for Jan, made a net profit of €86.48, €84 of which was a tax refund. Looks like I need to get meself on the dole and a heap of wains. :)

You'll have to wait a long time to get anything bud. Like myself, you have to be destitute for more than a year to get anything from social welfare if you're self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eviltwin wrote: »
    This is the reality of Traveller life folks. No access to contraception for the women and a lot of children are seen as a status symbol almost. Nothing changes for these people. The best thing we can do is try and give the women some independence and teach the men to respect females but until then nothing will change.
    Education is the key here, and there's a good reason why practically no travellers even get as far as a junior cert education - because their parents and their community don't want them to have one.

As a country, we need to put more focus on the importance of education, not just for travellers, but for all disadvantaged children.

Some scheme whereby children's allowance (and your JSA credits) will only be paid if your child attends 90% of their classes in the previous month, and this persists up to 18. You could even go further and offer something like a cash bonus of €2000 for everyone who completes the leaving cert - the actual cost of this to the state is pittance in reality, but because it would be paid directly to the student, it provides an incentive for less advantaged kids to resist parental pressure and stay in school.

If you ever speak to social workers or public health nurses, the main cause of disadvantaged children not attending school is parental apathy. The child says they don't want to go, and the parent says fine. The parents put no value on education because they don't have one.
    So the issue needs to be forced - put a monetary value on education, financially penalise parents whose children don't attend school and you'll see attendance rates up.

Of course, there will always be edge cases. That could be tackled with more extreme measures like automatically taking children into care who have missed more than 50% of classes in the previous 6 months.

nokia69 wrote: »

Want to tell me what that's about before I commit a few minutes to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had to get eye drops today, to be used for 3 days.

Cost me €32............

Ah I see, linking to the movie Idiocracy on a thread about the dole!

That's like me posting a link to a scene from Terminator when the thread is about the new generation of smartphone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

The €840 a week figure is strange, particularly as most people seem to be convinced that the bulk of it is made up of child benefit payments.

These payments are made directly to the mother and would not be considered in a court case to be part of the father's income.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Don't forgit - de Missus will be gettin "Mikkie Muny" as well ... ;)

That'll come to a nice €1080/ month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do travellers pay rent in a halting site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

75 grand a year before tax...no mortgage..prob a few nixers....gets subsidised lots of other things....I think anyone could live well off that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do travellers pay rent in a halting site?

LOL

LOL

So you'll post a moronic video but won't mention any more about it in case people laugh at you? Is that it? What has evolution to do with the dole in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

LOL
    It's a serious question. It's a serviced site provided by the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's a serious question. It's a serviced site provided by the Council
    Yeah, there is rent payable on the bays in a halting site, but 96% of renting travellers have their rental costs paid for by the dept. of social protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Ive seen that film its basically about a guy who is average in every way. He ends up the future where it is discovered that all the lower social classes of people have much more children than professionals or middles classes. Over centuries the overall population of the earth is so dumb they cannot speak properly and do not know what water is used for. Its actually quite a good film. Im guessing the linking of this story has got to do with the man having more children than lets say the average family unit and over time this will lead to a future entire population on welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

RomanKnows wrote: »
    That's more than the average industrial wage. While a punter on the average industrial wage hands over almost 50‰ of it in taxes to help fund this. Then people who do genuinely fall on hard times and need the support of welfare get unfairly lumped in with tossers like this lad. Welcome to the modern welfare state.

Mostly because media inevitably draw attention to the 'least deserving' cases.

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Ive seen that film its basically about a guy who is average in every way. He ends up the future where it is discovered that all the lower social classes of people have much more children than professionals or middles classes. Over centuries the overall population of the earth is so dumb they cannot speak properly and do not know what water is used for. Its actually quite a good film. Im guessing the linking of this story has got to do with the man having more children than lets say the average family unit and over time this will lead to a future entire population on welfare state.

It's a great film but unfortunately and ironically a lot of idiots treat it like a documentary!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Locked drunk at 9:30 am?

He must have stayed up all night drinking. Nobody would get up at 6 am and start boozing in order to be drunk by 9:30.

That's pretty disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That'll come to a nice €1080/ month

And €240 pw paid as child dependents

Advertisement