Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do travellers pay rent in a halting site?
    Lol thats precious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really think that benefits need to be capped. Many people are unemployed through no fault of their own and then there are the people with 4+ kids who've never worked and who intend to never work. Now, if you have the bulk of your rent payed through Rent Allowance, in addition to benefit payments for 2 adults, 4+kids, Child Benefit, Medical Card and whatever other benefits they're entitled to, why would they bother their asses to work?

Most people have enough self respect to want to be able to work to provide for their families, BUT, there are still a lot of people who come from a background where living on benefit is a lifestyle choice. Now many posters will say that's not true, but ask people who live in working class areas and they'll tell you that there's no shortage of those people happily milking the benefit system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I really think that benefits need to be capped.
    So if you have 8 kids you can afford to feed and then lose your job you can just let half of them starve.
    Good idea. That'll learn 'em to stay employed.

endacl wrote: »
    In fairness to the man, there's a real knack to playing the system that well!
    I see what you did there...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So if you have 8 kids you can afford to feed and then lose your job you can just let half of them starve.

but would they have had 8 kids if benefits were capped, or if they were working

was talking to a friend at work a while back, she is in her mid 30s with one young son, she said she would love to have one or two more kids but she just can't afford it

people who pay their own way have to be careful

people milking the system don't care

• Advertisement

Do you really think the guy has ever done an honest days work? 8 kids, no qualfications. Sounds like a traveller to me. Anyone who has no educational qualifications has no business having 8 kids and I don't think the State should be funding them. So, if the parents are too lazy to work then the kids should be in care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Is this another of the people that Joan Burton wants to protect ?

This is disgusting,and typical of this little country of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.

Because people who are lucky enough to be working do not require "looking after", while those unlucky enough to be unemployed couldn't possibly afford to pay the tax revenue required to fund a modern democracy. Seriously, this isn't difficult!

Do you really think the guy has ever done an honest days work? 8 kids, no qualfications. Sounds like a traveller to me. Anyone who has no educational qualifications has no business having 8 kids and I don't think the State should be funding them. So, if the parents are too lazy to work then the kids should be in care.
    That isn't the question.
    The question is whether a child deserves the support of the state if they happen to have 7 siblings. You are claiming they do not.
    The question is whether a child deserves the support of the state if they happen to have (insert group you don't like) as a parent. You are claiming they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I really think that benefits need to be capped. Many people are unemployed through no fault of their own and then there are the people with 4+ kids who've never worked and who intend to never work. Now, if you have the bulk of your rent payed through Rent Allowance, in addition to benefit payments for 2 adults, 4+kids, Child Benefit, Medical Card and whatever other benefits they're entitled to, why would they bother their asses to work?

Most people have enough self respect to want to be able to work to provide for their families, BUT, there are still a lot of people who come from a background where living on benefit is a lifestyle choice. Now many posters will say that's not true, but ask people who live in working class areas and they'll tell you that there's no shortage of those people happily milking the benefit system.

The problem with that is it affects the genuine cases, the ones where people do fall on hard times through no fault of their own. As regards guys like this even if you did stop their benefits they would just top up their benefits through crime.

• Advertisement

So, if the parents are too lazy to work then the kids should be in care.
    Thinks keeping 8 children in care costs less than €840 a week... :rolleyes:

That isn't the question.
    The question is whether a child deserves the support of the state if they happen to have 7 siblings. You are claiming they do not.
    The question is whether a child deserves the support of the state if they happen to have (insert group you don't like) as a parent. You are claiming they do not.

The point is that people who won't work to support their families shouldn't be having kids. The State needs to stop funding large families. It's quite simple really. If the State introduced food stamps and withdrew Rent Allowance there would be a dramatic fall in parasites making a choice to live on benefits. It might sound heartless, frankly I don't care, but it's time to stop the freeloading and just cap benefits at 3 kids maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Still probably cheaper then supporting the 64 kids of the next generation of that clan on the welfare teat for life though.

Its not about the cost. These families are just allowed breed like rabbits, their kids are living in halting sites in substandard accommodation and instead of trying to better themselves their parents just have more and more children, those kids deserve better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

jonny666 wrote: »
    Maybe you are right. I wouldnt swap my life for his in a second. But id bet he wouldnt swap his for mine (working, paying rent), and that is a huge problem.
    We don't know what he would do without taking other factors like the 8 children into consideration? If he had received a proper education and knew about contraception would he have 8 children? Is the reason he didn't use contraception because of his catholic beliefs that so many taxpayers hold dear combined with his lack of education? It's complicated.
    Its not isolated cases either. A lot of people I grew up with have been on the dole since 18. THey might get put on a FAS course of 6 months but they always end up back on the dole. They have no hope now and its their own fault.
    Ok, but again you would never want to 'enjoy' life in their shoes when there is an alternative, even if that alternative means some of your income is going to them. Remember they are still isolated cases in the grand scheme of things.
    Someone said earlier that we cant let the kids starve and how welfare can help break the cycle but in a lot of cases it just shows the kids how to play the system too. The problem is getting worse not better
    Ah, but now it is unfair to give up on those kids and simply assume they will do the same as their parents. By educating the kids, it's the only way things will ever begin to improve. Because the alternative is ruining those kids' lives completely, do you want too be the one to do that? To make that decision? To live with the consequences of that decision for all the kids like them? Life is unfair, but that doesn't mean it should be more unfair on those who often don't even have a real chance in the first place. You're just going to lose that money again anyway somewhere else down the line when there's more criminals and we need more prisons and so on.

K4t wrote: »
    We don't know what he would do without taking other factors like the 8 children into consideration? If he had received a proper education and knew about contraception would he have 8 children? Is the reason he didn't use contraception because of his catholic beliefs that so many taxpayers hold dear combined with his lack of education? It's complicated.

Ah come on, you don't really believe these people are Catholic in anything other than name only do you?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ah come on, you don't really believe these people are Catholic in anything other than name only do you?
    Which people?

The point is that people who won't work to support their families shouldn't be having kids.
    The point is you cannot guarantee that ANYBODY in this state can afford to feed themselves, let alone anyone else in the morning. That's what the social welfare system is for.
    Could you tell us how you will be guaranteeing continual employment at whatever level of salary you decide allows you to have whatever number of children please, because that's what you are proposing.

Its not about the cost. These families are just allowed breed like rabbits, their kids are living in halting sites in substandard accommodation and instead of trying to better themselves their parents just have more and more children, those kids deserve better.
    You think they deserve better. Do you think they'll get better in state care?

conorhal wrote: »
    Still probably cheaper then supporting the 64 kids of the next generation of that clan on the welfare teat for life though.
    In 2006 there were 22,369 travellers in Ireland. Whatever they're doing, they're not exactly breeding like rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

It was communion wine he was drinking at morning mass, that's why he was drunk at 9.30am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Time to give up our jobs lads, seems this is where you succeed in life while breezing through. At this point, the only reason i work is to keep my self esteem and prevent me from going mad doing nothing all day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-on-euro840-welfare-a-week-309736.html

Note: We can't make any generalizations or assumptions about the man in the article. :rolleyes:

Question i want to ask is: Why do i think the government looks after the ones not contributing to society, and penalize (taxes, fines, etc) the working.

Fair play to him lol just goes to show how ****ing dumb our government is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its actually kinda funny, he gets so much in welfare he's no longer valid for his medical card.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its actually kinda funny, he gets so much in welfare he's no longer valid for his medical card.
    There used to be a loophole where if you had a medical card you were exempt from the top rate of USC... dafuq?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

cloud493 wrote: »

His a smart lad tho! he s prob making more than most people that went to college do, his playing the game and his playing it well! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I worked through college (and paid tax) worked after college for 10 years, made redundant, returned to college to retrain, exited college and got told that I get nothing from Social Welfare.

I contributed to society all through my education and paid a sh1t load of tax while at work, yet got nothing.
    Why do you position your thread that everyone out of work wants to be so and is creaming it from the system?

Apologies i didn't mean it to sound like that. I was on the dole myself for a good while after i went back to college.

Only because they have been educated and most of their parents have been educated on the importance of contraception and how it isn't necessary to follow the church or the pope's stance on the issue. They are for the most part 'enlightened'. A lot of traveller's, both young and old, do not have that same knowledge, many of whom barely have primary or secondary level education and many of them are also extremely devout catholics.

Now you can say how is that the fault of the Catholics in name only when travellers do have access to the same education as the settled folk and Catholics in name only aren't forcing them to have large families? It's not their fault of course but they do share some responsibility for the large traveller families who have those families because of their opposition to contraception based on Catholic church teachings. The educated Irish give intellectual cover to the travellers by following the same church as them even if only in name or attending mass which at its core still shares those same beliefs (in this case opposition to contraception), only the educated Irish are educated and enlightened enough to know that it is smarter to go against those beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

and the bonus at christmas,dont forget that..and the svp hamper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

K4t wrote: »
    Only because they have been educated and most of their parents have been educated on the importance of contraception and how it isn't necessary to follow the church or the pope's stance on the issue. They are for the most part 'enlightened'. A lot of traveller's, both young and old, do not have that same knowledge, many of whom barely have primary or secondary level education and many of them are also extremely devout catholics.

Now you can say how is that the fault of the Catholics in name only when travellers do have access to the same education as the settled folk and Catholics in name only aren't forcing them to have large families? It's not their fault of course but they do share some responsibility for the large traveller families who have those families because of their opposition to contraception based on Catholic church teachings. The educated Irish give intellectual cover to the travellers by following the same church as them even if only in name or attending mass which at its core still shares those same beliefs (in this case opposition to contraception), only the educated Irish are educated and enlightened enough to know that it is smarter to go against those beliefs.
    Why do you think they don't have the same access to education?

They have the same and more supports available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Easy. 8 kids. I'm surprised he has anything left to get drunk on.

Because hes obviously not spending the money ont he kids...hes a pisshead.

Advertisement