Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets €840 a week on welfare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

boobar wrote: »
    But the thing is....he has.

I have to say that this story has made me sick. My wife and I work fulltime, have one kid. Feel lucky if we can afford to have a night out once a month.

This guy with his 8 kids gets handouts galore. I don't begrudge the kids the money but when a guy gets this amount of money and skilled professionals don't, well I give up.

He ISN'T getting handouts galore. Where are people getting this from? Talk about sensationalism :rolleyes:
    He is getting the basic rate of SW.
    That's it.

If you feel you would be better off, give up work and have 7 more kids ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

i can only laugh when people think that 840 goes towards house hold stuff and kids.... you realise they go to saint vincent the paul for all that stuff?! the ball doesnt stop rolling at the 840 these people are no ****in fools theres a reason they ve 2015 cars and extravagant weddings while never working a day in there lives, and fair play to em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

mcdonagh...??
    8 kids....??
    i smell a non static person....

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

lazza14 wrote: »
    ....Lucky to afford a 2nd kid (in my situation) while these social parasites just keep having kids cos the govt. will fund them.

When will Ireland/UK learn that child benefit should be capped after 2 kids ...

Don't think it's fair that my taxes are going to fund your kids.
    Child benefit should only be paid to people who choose not to clutter up the planet with extra little people that produce nothing and only take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah right, devout catholics when it suits them.

There's a commandment "thou shalt not steal" which a lot of them have no problem ignoring so I doubt taking the pill or putting on a rubber is as much of an issue as you seem to think it is.
    You miss my point.

Everyone knows not to steal and that it is wrong (yes even travellers), the bible doesn't even have to teach us that. The bible does however also teach that contraception is immoral and wrong. And it is only through education, enlightenment and the opposition of a devoutly catholic culture which enables people to accept that contraception is important and greatly needed in a modern society. As I said, contraception in Ireland only became legal in 1980 (and even then with restrictions). People also became more educated and enlightened and moved away from devout Catholicism towards the Catholicism in name only which someone mentioned earlier and which we have now. You cannot just assume and expect everyone to have moved that far away from the devout Catholicism of the past, as many have not had the education and knowledge instilled in them to do so.

• Advertisement

stmol32 wrote: »
    Don't think it's fair that my taxes are going to fund your kids.
    Child benefit should only be paid to people who choose not to clutter up the planet with extra little people that produce nothing and only take.

So your parents refused child benefit then? Never took one single payment of it for you or your siblings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

the working man is a sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

While the article in the paper in sensationalist and people are quick to scream bloody murder

The Social welfare system does need an overhaul
    1) Welfare tourists, I mean seriously how the ****ing govt can't close this loophole is BEYOND me

2) Children's allowance, should be means tested and linked in with classroom attendance IMHO. Now where you draw the line for the threshold is a messy issue, but seriously it should be means tested

3) Welfare Fraud, I don't care if you live in a house, caravan, what ethnicity you are, or what country your from, (although I think the UKs policy for non residents is the way to go), fraud is fraud and when people who are caught are actually punished for this crime and stripped of benefits you may see fraud levels drop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Smidge wrote: »
    So your parents refused child benefit then? Never took one single payment of it for you or your siblings?

Both my parents worked all their lives and brought up 3 kids so I think they were entitled to claim child benefit.

Also, as they both worked for approx. 50 years I think they were also entitled to collect an old age pension on retirement.

hurlsey wrote: »
    While the article in the paper in sensationalist and people are quick to scream bloody murder

The Social welfare system does need an overhaul
    1) Welfare tourists, I mean seriously how the ****ing govt can't close this loophole is BEYOND me

2) Children's allowance, should be means tested and linked in with classroom attendance IMHO. Now where you draw the line for the threshold is a messy issue, but seriously it should be means tested

3) Welfare Fraud, I don't care if you live in a house, caravan, what ethnicity you are, or what country your from, (although I think the UKs policy for non residents is the way to go), fraud is fraud and when people who are caught are actually punished for this crime and stripped of benefits you may see fraud levels drop!!

I agree you re pretty much spot on with what you said but people dont want that they want to "rehabilitate" the poor mis guided souls that commit fraud... such is the gullible society we live in!

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    Both my parents worked all their lives and brought up 3 kids so I think they were entitled to claim child benefit.

Also, as they both worked for approx. 50 years I think they were also entitled to collect an old age pension on retirement.

So only working people are entitled to claim benefits then?

Edit. I posted that in response to a poster that holds the view that they pay for us breeders but as per usual is amiss to accept their parents received it for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

This bloke gets €840 pw because that is the rate. He ain't doing anything wrong in this regard and I don't believe he was before the courts because of this.

I'm now saying it's right when the aiw is about €35k, however considering that FG are in Govt now and before that FF, I don't believe that these rates are gonna be reduced in the foreseeable future.In fact, with an election looming there is a chance that these rates will be increased.

As an aside, Miriam O Callaghan was interviewing 3 women politicians over the weekend. Sitting at the table were 4 women earning in excess of half a million per annum plus all of those golden pensions when they retire.All suckling from the taxpayers tit.
    These are the real parasites in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

when people who are caught are actually punished for this crime and stripped of benefits you may see fraud levels drop!!

doubt it. people are caught and punished all the time, having to pay back huge amounts of money. doesn't stop fraud from happening. sadly, the deterrant factor doesn't work no matter what.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    This bloke gets €840 pw because that is the rate. He ain't doing anything wrong in this regard and I don't believe he was before the courts because of this.

I'm now saying it's right when the aiw is about €35k, however considering that FG are in Govt now and before that FF, I don't believe that these rates are gonna be reduced in the foreseeable future.In fact, with an election looming there is a chance that these rates will be increased.

As an aside, Miriam O Callaghan was interviewing 3 women politicians over the weekend. Sitting at the table were 4 women earning in excess of half a million per annum plus all of those golden pensions when they retire.All suckling from the taxpayers tit.
    These are the real parasites in my opinion

And if these politicians have children they will also receive CB.

Uncle Ben wrote: »

These are the real parasites in my opinion..

I'd agree that ministerial pay packets and benefits need an overhaul aswell as the social welfare system!!

doubt it. people are caught and punished all the time, having to pay back huge amounts of money. doesn't stop fraud from happening. sadly, the deterrant factor doesn't work no matter what.

Do they face jail time? Are they barred from claiming social welfare payments in the future?
    Where do they find the funds to payback what they've fraudulently claimed?

Edit. I posted that in response to a poster that holds the view that they pay for us breeders but as per usual is amiss to accept their parents received it for them

Who claims it is irrelevant so long as there honest and entitled to it, the problem lies with scammers, the flawed system thats being exploited constantly, that we know is being exploited yet we do nothing to fix,

Working or not working is irrelevant so long as your honest and genuinely need the help, but by god if you are claiming it and u can afford to drive a 2015, then you should not be given it and it should be taken clean off you with out hesitation, its very simple really..

You re intended to get by on benefits not profit from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

You seem to be of the opinion that only people who do not work, and are never likely to, are more entitled to benefits.

And if these politicians have children they will also receive CB.

Yep, I totally disagree with these universality payments. I work with a lassie, married to a barrister on a 6 figure sum who qualifies for children allowance and when the under 6 medical card comes in she'll qualify for 3 for her kids.

I'd guess a lot of those decrying McDonogh of his entitlement will turn the other cheek when Varadkar is handing out the medical cards for their sprogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

K4t wrote: »
    You miss my point.

Everyone knows not to steal and that it is wrong (yes even travellers), the bible doesn't even have to teach us that. The bible does however also teach that contraception is immoral and wrong. And it is only through education, enlightenment and the opposition of a devoutly catholic culture which enables people to accept that contraception is important and greatly needed in a modern society. As I said, contraception in Ireland only became legal in 1980 (and even then with restrictions). People also became more educated and enlightened and moved away from devout Catholicism towards the Catholicism in name only which someone mentioned earlier and which we have now. You cannot just assume and expect everyone to have moved that far away from the devout Catholicism of the past, as many have not had the education and knowledge instilled in them to do so.

No I didn't miss your point, and I have no doubt if a law was passed tomorrow that they would get no money after the first two kids they pop out then traveller families would be a lot smaller.

• Advertisement

evo2000 wrote: »
    Who claims it is irrelevant so long as there honest and entitled to it, the problem lies with scammers, the flawed system thats being exploited constantly, that we know is being exploited yet we do nothing to fix,

Working or not working is irrelevant so long as your honest and genuinely need the help, but by god if you are claiming it and u can afford to drive a 2015, then you should not be given it and it should be taken clean off you with out hesitation, its very simple really..

You re intended to get by on benefits not profit from them...

Well its clearly NOT irrelevent who claims it giving the replies in this thread, now is it?
    The man in the article WASN'T scamming SW. He was in receipt of the correct payment which is €461.80 pw for a family of TEN people. He also receives CB but ANYONE with children regardless of status, also receives.

Where the hell are you getting that he has a 2015 car????
    Link?
    Or just more inflammatory nonsense?

People who should and shouldnt get benefits...

Scammers profiting off receiving benefits ✘

Extremely well off people exploiting benefits such as Medical cards ✘

Genuine people struggling to get by with or without work ✓

Mo60 wrote: »
    You seem to be of the opinion that only people who do not work, and are never likely to, are more entitled to benefits.

And you seem to be of an opinion that people who already have money and are not on the lowest socio-economic rung of the societal ladder(ie people in receipt of SW)are more entitled to it.
    Not really the purpose it was intended for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No I didn't miss your point, and I have no doubt if a law was passed tomorrow that they would get no money after the first two kids they pop out then traveller families would be a lot smaller.
    Have you asked every traveller in the country about that proposal? Have you asked even one? We're dealing with different cultures here, a law like that passed tomorrow could possibly mean they would continue to raise large families only on less money, making life even worse for their kids. Unless you can show me studies and data relating to travellers to reflect your lack of any "doubt"? It's an interesting theory and would obviously have to be applied universally but I don't think it's as simple as you see it.

Well its clearly NOT irrelevent who claims it giving the replies in this thread, now is it?
    The man in the article WASN'T scamming SW. He was in receipt of the correct payment which is €461.80 pw for a family of TEN people. He also receives CB but ANYONE with children regardless of status, also receives.

Where the hell are you getting that he has a 2015 car????
    Link?
    Or just more inflammatory nonsense?

You are ridiculously gullible... where did you grow up?

I love your defense of this outstanding citizen, but you re inability to read between the lines really does skew you re view and leaves you looking abit silly...

Oh god lol.
    That's reaching now. You reckon you know me after a few posts?

Find that link for the 2015 car yet? :D

(or else just come out straight and say you have a problem with the article that the thread is about as the protagonist is a traveller)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

I wouldn't begrudge a working family child benefit - its really the only payment from the government they receive - but parasites like this Chap are a scourge on society. They know exactly every trick in the book on social welfare.

Chaps like this only see children as a guaranteed income stream for the next 18 years to top up their dole. We need to bring in a cap on welfare from all sources to prevent this - no matter how many kids you have you are getting only X amount.

Its an insult to all the hard working (tax paying) people getting up at 6/7/8am every day to commute to work all over the country to see low-life's, criminals and absolute sc2mbags like this in very comfortable lives till the day they die.

Oh god lol.
    That's reaching now. You reckon you know me after a few posts?

Find that link for the 2015 car yet? :D

(or else just come out straight and say you have a problem with the article that the thread is about as the protagonist is a traveller)

I wasnt pointing out the individual, but more of whats actually going on in reality, you re seriously dumb if you think this sort of stuff isnt happening, have a look at my big fat gypsy wedding and the likes and see the money they re spending on dresses yet alot of them work, they pull up in hummers and limos in diamond coated dresses yet dont work,

No i cannot prove it but im not that ****ing dumb to think that its all above board, wake up a small bit!

Im afraid me auld mate that your generalisation re the travelling community is akin to how the Yankee cops in Ferguson view the homies.

Now I wouldn't be going drinking with the McDonoghs or his ilk, however nowhere in the newspaper reports did it state that he scammed SW or drive a 2015 car. There are actually some travellers out there who are in poverty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Do they face jail time?

they can do yes. some have been jailed.
    Are they barred from claiming social welfare payments in the future?

not as far as i know, the evidence seems to be that going down that route costs more as people turn to crime instead.
    Where do they find the funds to payback what they've fraudulently claimed?

i'd imagine its deducted at source.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement