Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Mount Juliet Half Marathon

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anybody doing this? Whats the course like? I just registered and I only seen afterwards that headphones arent allowed. Can they do that? I like listening to music as I run :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

in some races where headphones are banned, the list of results is

Joe Smith 85:16
    headphones wearer 85:18
    headphones wearer 85:22
    Jane Bloggs 85:29

headphones are banned for safety reasons - so you'll hear traffic, instructions from marshals, and other runners. Try running a couple of times without them and you'll realise you don't need them

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

Quick question for anyone who has run this before.

Do you have access to shower facilities on site/ in the hotel? I have tickets to the Ireland V France 6 nations game so will need to drive straight up to Landsdowne after this.

Emailed the contact on the website twice but did not get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Done it twice although last year due to storms it was reduced to a 10k on the morning despite having said the HM was on when I checked before leaving to drive down. Not good PR! As far as showers go I don't recall any such facilities available there but could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I've DONE THE 10K TWO YEARS IN A ROW BUT CANT DO THIS YEAR - I ENJOYED BOTH RACES AND THOUGHT THEY WERE PRETTY WELL ORGANISED..THE FACILITIES ARE GOOD BUT DONT THINK THEY HAVE SHOWERS ? I MIGHT BE WRONG...THE GOODIES AFTER WERE GREAT - SOUP AND SAMBOS AND ITS A LOVELY PLACE TO CONGREGATE AFTER & BEFORE THE RACE

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Friend of mine did the Viking Marathon in Waterford last year and they said headphones were banned, but most people including himself use them and didnt get in trouble or have ''headphone user'' beside their score? Said they have to say it to cover themselves.

Does any one know if there is a medal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

ON THE HEADPHONES THING...THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE..SO APOLOGIES IF THATS HOW IT SOUNDS...

IF RACE ORGANISERS SAY NO HEADPHONES THEN ITS NO HEADPHONES,,,ITS FOR SAFETY REASONS - THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO RUIN YOUR DAY OUT.

ANYWAY - YOU CAN RUN ALL DAY EVERYDAY WITH HEADPHONES WHEN YOU ARE TRAINING - RACING IS FOR RACING, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ENTER A RACE AND THEN ARGUE WITH THE RACE CONDITIONS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Quick question for anyone who has run this before.

Do you have access to shower facilities on site/ in the hotel? I have tickets to the Ireland V France 6 nations game so will need to drive straight up to Landsdowne after this.

Emailed the contact on the website twice but did not get a response.
    Ring the golf club and ask them if you can use their showers, all they can do is say no. If not will you still be going to the match? 💰💰💰😎

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

webpal wrote: »
    Ring the golf club and ask them if you can use their showers, all they can do is say no. If not will you still be going to the match? ��������

Cheers, will do.

I'd have to make an out of the way stop at home if not. My wife isn't a big valentines day fan but I'm pushing it as it is; whisking her off to a rugby match after running a 1/2 marathon while also stinking of it might be a step too far!!!

Will go out for dinner later in the week instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

the course is hilly ... the half is two laps of the 10k route (with a bit added on for fun) not really a pb route to be honest . good training run for connamarathon in april. a bit on the expensive side as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Ran this for the first time today. I had heard it was hilly and they weren't lying!! Starts on a hill. Along hill at mile 3 and 5 then back to the start again for lap two. Another long climb and then the other hills at miles 10 and 12. A tough course. However. The parking arrangements spot on. The facilities before and after we're excellent. Nice grub after water, banana, orange slice, soup, salad or ham and cheese roll, tea or coffee plus a nature valley bar ( some of the competitors seemed to think it was ok to take a whole box rather than just a bar!!) all in all a good day out. Weather was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Ran this for the first time today. I had heard it was hilly and they weren't lying!! Starts on a hill. Along hill at mile 3 and 5 then back to the start again for lap two. Another long climb and then the other hills at miles 10 and 12. A tough course. However. The parking arrangements spot on. The facilities before and after we're excellent. Nice grub after water, banana, orange slice, soup, salad or ham and cheese roll, tea or coffee plus a nature valley bar ( some of the competitors seemed to think it was ok to take a whole box rather than just a bar!!) all in all a good day out. Weather was perfect.

Plenty of water in the course. Well marshalled. Glad I did it although those hills might make me think twice about returning next year. Having said that I ran my second best time for a half so I guess the downhills which were as plentiful as the uphills helped to balance things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

over 300 photos - most runners included - on Stoneyford 10k Challenge facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

My first Half-Marathon and I must say it was very well organised and also very very challenging - but enjoyable.

- Adequate Parking only a short walk away
    - Plenty of water stations on route
    - Properly marshaled
    - Plenty of water, soup, sandwiches, oranges, bananas etc afterwards.
    - Lovely scenic route - although the hills were a killer but I enjoyed the challenge.
    - Changing facilities for male and female - got to use the golf club dressing rooms with showers etc.

Defo will be back next year. Well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I have an entry I cannot for this half marathon race on Saturday.
    Anyone can have it, if you can pick up tag etc. Friday night.

PM me this evening so that I can email the transfer to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I have an entry I cannot for this half marathon race on Saturday.
    Anyone can have it, if you can pick up tag etc. Friday night.

PM me this evening so that I can email the transfer to the organisers.

Advertisement