Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Additional cost of geothermal boiler over gas boiler

• 02-02-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was watching Room to Improve last night and was surprised to see that when the family changed from a standard boiler to geothermal boiler the additional cost was only €5k. I was always under the impression it would be multiples of that. Given that I am about to embark on a renovation and extension project that will involve a full replumbing I am curious to know what is the realistic cost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They also said that their bill was €200, yet I know a couple of people who got it installed and their bills are very high, and not as cheap as they had hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

NIMAN wrote: »
    They also said that their bill was €200, yet I know a couple of people who got it installed and their bills are very high, and not as cheap as they had hoped for.

Yeah, I spotted that too and thought it would be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

They said their 200euro bill was electric, heating and cooking. So that's pretty good considering the size of the house. My electric bill averages 200 a month and so does my gas bill in a standard size house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jaysus, we're not doing so bad in our gaff so. 2 parents and 4 adult 'children' and one significant other living in our house. It's a 2500sqft odd 5 bed partial 3 storey Victorian the grandparents owned. Parents bought out their siblings share at time of inheritance and we all chipped in on mortgage to renovate in 2010. We're all tech mad and Tv's in every room and bedroom etc

Gas heating and cooking hobs and electric ovens.

Electric is about €350 per bi-monthly bill year round, so about €175 per month.
    Gas is about €150-€200 bi-monthly April to October and €400 November to March, so €75-100 and €200 respectively per month.

Looks like the DG windows, Large Solar Gain from the houses aspect and location of windows and the 2 ft thick heatsink Walls are paying dividends when it comes to the bills. Large sashes, 1 east facing Window, 7 south facing windows and set of glass French doors, 2 large west facing bays, window and half glass panel hall door. Were at the southern end of terrace, the rest of the terrace are dungeons in comparison while we are the extreme opposite. Exceptionally bright Victorian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sorry my mistake, I ment per bill which is bi monthly to so we average about a 100 per month, usually a bit above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Lots of comments but none actually answering the question I asked. Anyone know approx.. what the additional cost is of going for a geothermal boiler over a standard (say gas) boiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Jane98 wrote: »
    Lots of comments but none actually answering the question I asked. Anyone know approx.. what the additional cost is of going for a geothermal boiler over a standard (say gas) boiler?
    Geothermal is a big project as opposed to ATW heat pumps so an curious.
    Either post here or pm me the heat output required from the gas boiler and I will go ask someone.
    How far into the program was this point discussed, will watch on player, I cant abide ur man so want to limit the radiation :)
    Keep well.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement