Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using the Garda descriptor while off duty?

• 02-02-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is it correct that the Irish man shot at an ATM in Florida is continuously referred to in the media as Garda or garda, depending what you read.
    Do they carry the title all the time or only when in uniform and on duty?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

Just wondering is it correct that the Irish man shot at an ATM in Florida is continuously referred to in the media as Garda or garda, depending what you read.

He's still a garda, whether or not he's on duty.

Doctors are still doctors whether they're working or not.

Firemen are still firemen when they're not at work.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I think the point he was making is would the papers refer to him as Fireman Brian Hanrahan or Doctor Brian Hanrahan? The answer is probably yes.

You'd wonder how far the referencing of his career would go though; certain professions which are seen as assisting society in any way are often sold by the media in a popular light; the fact he is a garda almost adds to the poignancy of the news article; brave garda injured off-duty and all that. I'm not having a pop at the man's profession at all but more at the media handling of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I know from working in the niteclub trade for a brief period
    an off duty drunken garda is obliged to flash his badge at every opportunity.

I can only assume they are always "on duty" in their fight against crime :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Depend on the situation, often seen doctors or nurses referred as such when they are in a story that the media are being sympathetic about. Doctors generally referred to 'Dr' anyway. Looks good for the media.

A bit like the way the Daily Mail will refer to someone as 'unemployed' or 'foreign' to get their point across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Peanut wrote: »
    I think the point he was making is would the papers refer to him as Fireman Brian Hanrahan or Doctor Brian Hanrahan? The answer is probably yes.
    I would think it very strange to be continually referring to him as Fireman Hanrahan all the way through an article like they did. It would read like a kids book, like postman pat, fireman sam, bob the builder.

I expect some foreign people reading that would actually think his name is "Garda".

Doctor is a bit different, I have often seen the option to pick Dr. on formal forms. I don't ever recall seeing garda as an option (or fireman or plumber).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you look at the article it does use it has a honorific like you would 'Dr.' or 'Mr.'. Fireman probably wouldn't get used like that. The use in the article does seem a little strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In the hierarchy of things, it's GAA club member first, occupation second, marital and parental status third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

He was looking to get his hole I'd say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Willfarman wrote: »
    Arent you great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What a valuable insight on the whole situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

The Peanut wrote: »

You'd wonder how far the referencing of his career would go though; certain professions which are seen as assisting society in any way are often sold by the media in a popular light; the fact he is a garda almost adds to the poignancy of the news article; brave garda injured off-duty and all that. I'm not having a pop at the man's profession at all but more at the media handling of it.

Fully agree, newsworthiness, if it was me that was shot dead then I would just be Irishman shot dead in another country. Unless of course it was in the Daily Pun, then it would read, "Notcominback went out to buy a pint of milk, got shot dead by scoundrels, now he's definitely not comin back"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I've met a lot of new customers who are very quick to tell me all about the force when in actual fact all i wanna do is get on with my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The article says the shooting happened in New Orleans. It does seem a bit odd that he's referred to as an "off duty Garda" in the article. It should have been obvious from the article that he was off duty..he was on holiday in a different country!

It seems a bit odd the way the article is framed to give a certain impression of the situation. It's a terrible thing to happen to the poor guy but it would be equally terrible to happen to a builder or an unemployed person.

The article seems to be framed in a way to imply it is somehow more tragic BECAUSE he is Garda. Hopefully he recovers soon anyway.

Fully agree, newsworthiness, if it was me that was shot dead then I would just be Irishman shot dead in another country. Unless of course it was in the Daily Pun, then it would read, "Notcominback went out to buy a pint of milk, got shot dead by scoundrels, now he's definitely not comin back"

What if you were joe soap wandering the streets while intoxicated alone at a 5am in morning, meet a dodgy guy who says he bring you to a place where you can get "drink", or a prostitute, ...he went to an atm to withdraw 200 dollars... And you get shot by a scumbag. Are you then joe soap plonker or farmer plumber cheese maker hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

What if you were joe soap wandering the streets while intoxicated alone at a 5am in morning, meet a dodgy guy who says he bring you to a place where you can get "drink", or a prostitute, ...he went to an atm to withdraw 200 dollars... And you get shot by a scumbag. Are you then joe soap plonker or farmer plumber cheese maker hero.

He sure as **** wasn't after a drink. $200? Was he looking for a vintage champagne not available in his hotel bar?

He sure as **** wasn't after a drink. $200? Was he looking for a vintage champagne not available in his hotel bar?

Nothing to see here.
    Move along now.
    Put a fiver in that bucket for hero Garda :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That's what he is on or off duty, why shouldn't he be referred to as such.

If it were a Doctor or a Priest or a Professor they'd be referred to as such, why not a Garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

No doubt he will be well looked after
    Prob full pay out too knowing this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Somehow I read the thread title as "using the garda helicopter while off-duty", now that would have made for an interesting thread.

Back on topic, when Shane Geoghegan was murdered in Limerick, every media outlet insisted on calling him "rugby player" even though the lad was an aircraft fitter and presumably rugby was his pastime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Are strippers still strippers when they're not at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Maybe he had to pay a transaction fee for the ATM, so it's wasteful to make several small withdrawals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Whether that guard was sozzled or not I don't know, but he exercised extraordinarily poor judgement wandering about New Orleans looking to 'party' at that time of the morning. It's even more bewildering, given the mans profession.

Thank god he's home in one piece, but wtf was he thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

That's what he is on or off duty, why shouldn't he be referred to as such.

If it were a Doctor or a Priest or a Professor they'd be referred to as such, why not a Garda.

When does off duty turn into on holiday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Whether that guard was sozzled or not I don't know, but he exercised extraordinarily poor judgement wandering about New Orleans looking to 'party' at that time of the morning. It's even more bewildering, given the mans profession.

Thank god he's home in one piece, but wtf was he thinking?

There is no doubt about that. It is an odd story. His dad left him in the boozer in the french quarter at 4am. He hooks up wiht one of the accused. Walks 2 miles to the 7th ward and then gets $200 out of an ATM at 5:40am.
    Then ends up outside a house where the accused says he can buy some booze. Then gets shot by the second accused.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Maybe he had to pay a transaction fee for the ATM, so it's wasteful to make several small withdrawals

It's a classic scam. I fuppin knew to beware of this kind of thing when I was heading to gran canaria 20 years ago as a naive 19 year old. Total muppet. I feel sorry for him and hope he recovers and has a forgiving or naive wife but the "brave off duty Garda" spin reporting is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

No doubt he will be well looked after
    Prob full pay out too knowing this country

And rightly so! The 'long term unemployed' in this country get enough for free, why shouldn't a fella who gives 50% of his weekly wage to the government get a big chunk of cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

When does off duty turn into on holiday ?

Duty has two settings, on and off.

If he's on holiday which would you say he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

'Mobile' links annoy me. As do non-comments using them.

Or "Shoot them all and let God sort them out!!" Same thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Whether it's Nenagh or N'orleans, this guy's fearless efforts to patrol the night and bring down crime are impressive, but I fear his maverick tactics may see him patrolling the dole office in short order.

'Mobile' links annoy me. As do non-comments using them.

Or "Shoot them all and let God sort them out!!" Same thing...

The catchphrase of a certain little Britain character comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've met a lot of new customers who are very quick to tell me all about the force when in actual fact all i wanna do is get on with my job.
    Is that you Darth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Do you work in a lightsaber shop?

Edit.. Beaten too it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Does this guy now automatically lose his job because of this conviction.?
    I would think there is a complete zero tolerance for this in the force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't see him not losing his job after lying to gardai and a judge, let alone beating two women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Are firewomen still firewomen?

Are lollypop men still lollypop men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

oneilla wrote: »

Are firewomen still firewomen?

Are lollypop men still lollypop men?
    Ask the ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ask the ombudsman.

What if it's outside of office hours? Is he still the ombudsmen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Gets himself shot trying to buy coke at all hours in New Orleans and then batters two women while off his head. What a charmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Opened this thread, read first post. Got confused.

I was only in Florida last week, how did I not hear about this?

*opens attachment*

Since when is New Orleans in Florida???

*looks at date of first post*

Ah.

*skips to most recent post*

*still has absolutely no idea why this thread is even here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Confirms 'beyond all reasonable doubt' that this country is a Banana Republic.
    The 'old boys club' still,and always has, looked after its own.
    How this guy is allowed to continue to serve as a law enforcement officer is beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

washman3 wrote: »
    How this guy is allowed to continue to serve as a law enforcement officer is beyond belief.

Statistic wise our police force is the best in the wurdled for statistics of actual imprisonment as a result of bad behaviour, I can find no police force on the face of the entire earth with less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AGS and the judiciary as groups are fundamentally broken in this country.

It's not bad enough that we see ridiculously lenient sentences and no jail time at all for serious crimes, but how the judge in this case can overturn the conviction saying:
    "I have a doubt which is a reasonable doubt," he said.

"That is not to say that I am disbelieving the three young (female) occupants of the car.

"But there is a residual doubt concerning the guilt of Mr Hanrahan."

Judge Teehan allowed the appeal and overturned the two convictions for assault causing harm.

He specifically cited claims by the two women that Ms Kelly had been subjected to around six blows, Mr Hanrahan's evidence that just a single blow was struck and the medical evidence submitted.

... noting that the Garda is over 6ft and the victim is 5'3 and of slight build, apparently it's "ok" that he alleges he "only" hit her once sure! :rolleyes:

This is another case of the too-cozy relationship between key organs of the State and another reason why neither are fit for purpose at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why wouldn’t he be allowed to carry on in his job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Allinall wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t he be allowed to carry on in his job?

Yes it's Ireland after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What a track record this poor hapless lad has. Trouble seems to follow him around both on and off duty. Very unfortunate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

"Mr Hanrahan's evidence". What evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The poor chap

Why wasn't he awarded a quarter million or so for injuries he received?

In the line of duty and all

PTSD and all that as well

I know there is a level of police corruption in any given country but this really sickens me to the pit of my stomach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement