Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RasperryPi 2 Model B 1GB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

might finally take the plunge, seems like this should run everything smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Where does the price end up after you add on essentials like case, power supply, SD card plus the additional codec packs that are required to use as a media streamer?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Windows 10 is also coming to the Pi2 in the future. Excellent little device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Do-more wrote: »
    Where does the price end up after you add on essentials like case, power supply, SD card plus the additional codec packs that are required to use as a media streamer?

You should be able to get cheap cases €2-3, but its not needed, I'd be surprised if you didn't have a spare power supply or spare USB port to charge from, I have mine charging from USB on eircom router, you can get really cheap SD cards...I never purchased the add-on codec and never run into problems playing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

rs has an irish site also
    priced at 30 euro

Also slightly cheaper here (£27.42 including delivery to Parcel Motel):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/832-6274/

==> A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
    ==> 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
    ==> Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

GY A1 wrote: »
    rs has an irish site also
    priced at 30 euro

Also slightly cheaper here (£27.42 including delivery to Parcel Motel):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/832-6274/

==> A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
    ==> 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
    ==> Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

Works out at €43.03 including VAT though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Nice - ordered one there. I can't seem to find any cases that are compatible with it though, it seems to have a different layout; anyone see one?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

I have the previous model raspberry would this handle 1080p high bitrate much better?
    Mine struggles at times with the higher quality bitrate.

Also i was going to get the pipo x7 anyone know would this raspberry compete with that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Works out at €43.03 including VAT though :(

Yeah I seen it earlier this morning and tie final price including VAT and delivery was ~€43. The Windows 10 thing makes it all the more interesting. I had the original 256MB RAM model and never really found much use for it.

Ya this should handle higher bitrates much better.

• Advertisement

so what would be an actual use for this new model then with windows 10?
    with anyone I know who bought the first one the novelty soon wore off and it wasn't used for much
    obviously for kids who want to get into coding etc it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

glasso wrote: »
    so what would be an actual use for this new model then with windows 10?
    with anyone I know who bought the first one the novelty soon wore off and it wasn't used for much
    obviously for kids who want to get into coding etc it's a great idea.

I use it as a htpc running xbmc it plays most hd stuff, pretty decent media player

My experience was that although it could be put to a wide number of uses it did none of them very well. I think if you're in the profession of coding and tech stuff then it has appeal but to me the first one wasn't very good at all.

No expert, but reading the thread on this on the Kodi forum they were saying that the video engine (whatever that is) is no different from the previous Pi but the extra performance of the new one will help in scrolling through menus which was the weak point of the previous model. But don't take my word for it!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Open to correction. But this, seems to have the same graphics/video hardware as the old one. Thats what does all the heavy lifting on video playback. AFAIK there was no problem with video playback on the old one. But everything else should be faster depending if it can take advantage of the quad cores.

Ya I could be wrong so - I definitely had problems with some very high quality videos stuttering though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I dunno how other bottlenecks like low RAM, I/O (disk access) effect large files. Or what would be considered a large for Pi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I never had a problem scrolling on my v1 Pi on xbmc, as long as you changed the overclock settings up one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

anyone doing ready to go kits with the Pi2 yet?

I'll be probably looking for 2 wireless Pi2 kits for xbmc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

pabloh999 wrote: »
    I use it as a htpc running xbmc it plays most hd stuff, pretty decent media player

Me too, plays movies over the network, great interface, just downloaded a self-install package so no technical knowledge required, powered from the TV's USB port so switches on and off with that and it works using the existing TV remote control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What advantages would this have over a Google Chromecast?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I've the 2nd edition (512mb) running full time in my bedroom with Openelec for over a year with no problems. The menus are slow enough, but playback is perfect. I'll definitely be getting one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tyson Fury wrote: »

This is a computer in it's own right, and doesn't need a phone/laptop/tablet to cast from. By the looks of it you will get a version of Windows that will run on it, but it's not needed. You can essentially turn it into a media centre for watching movies on your tv. All for under 50 quid. It can also do much more if you're so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tyson Fury wrote: »

You don't need a second device to cast something to the raspberry pi. On pi you can install an OS called KODI (previously XBMC) which you can install add ons on which can be used to view lots of things ;).

Important to note though that this is just the board itself. You would need other things to go with it.

For anyone without easy access to Parcel motel the cheapest option for direct delivery appears to be the Pi Hut ;30 + £2 international delivery

invest4deepvalue.com

Is it not 39 euro on the farnell website? Surely that is the most hassle free and cheapest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Do they have stock yet though?

I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Seeing as it'll run with Windows 10, does that mean it should work with Sky Go?

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Is it not 39 euro on the farnell website? Surely that is the most hassle free and cheapest way.
    Bumps up to €46.64 when you get to the checkout when they add the €6+vat Paddy handling charge!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement