Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RasperryPi 2 Model B 1GB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yes, it should be. One point I would make is don't get a clear one whatever you do. As it just means bright lights behind your tv when you are trying to watch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

Whats the best site to buy this and accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Amazon/ebay is decent. Adafruit is good for tinkering bits for the pi

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

This + windows = the remote music downloader + google music uploader that I've been searching for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I have a few model B running XBMC on openelec 3.2.4, running from the USB. Happy enough with playback but it can be slow traversing through the menus.

If anyone is interested I got the instructions on www.totalxbmc.tv, handy enough to do.

My question to the more techy people than me, is it just a matter of plugging the SD and USB stick into the new Pi 2 and reap the benefits straight away or does something have to happen to openelec or XBMC itself before the benefits can be realised?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RoflHarris wrote: »
    This + windows = the remote music downloader + google music uploader that I've been searching for

The only trouble with Windows is that you wont have compatibility with legacy apps, only ones you can get in the app store from Microsoft. As this is built on ARM architecture. It'll be interesting to see what the OS will be capable of, but I think it will be a funny one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I have a few model B running XBMC on openelec 3.2.4, running from the USB. Happy enough with playback but it can be slow traversing through the menus.

If anyone is interested I got the instructions on www.totalxbmc.tv, handy enough to do.

My question to the more techy people than me, is it just a matter of plugging the SD and USB stick into the new Pi 2 and reap the benefits straight away or does something have to happen to openelec or XBMC itself before the benefits can be realised?

You'll have to update to 5.0.1 to get it working on pi 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Where´s the best place to buy with delivery to Spain?

Also, can anyone recommend a solid usb wifi dongle or the best way to get wifi on one of these?

Cheers, was going to go for the Pipo but think I´m going to pull the trigger on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raoul wrote: »
    As the B+.

I don't get the comment about what advantages it has over a train? that was directed at me. :confused::confused:

popular culture mate :)

I actually did a real lol when I read that post a couple of days ago

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Depends on what they charge for delivery. RS wanted approx. €13 from me for delivery on their Swedish site. I bought instead from the pi hut who only charge £2 for International delivery. Use "social5" for 5% off.

invest4deepvalue.com

RS Ireland charged me less than a fiver I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Do-more wrote: »
    Depends on what they charge for delivery. RS wanted approx. €13 from me for delivery on their Swedish site. I bought instead from the pi hut who only charge £2 for International delivery. Use "social5" for 5% off.

I asked for a site with Spanish delivery, think that was in reply to me afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ActionHank

Received my today. What a difference!! You can actually call it a proper desktop now. I had around 10 applications running at the same time, including Minecraft and web browser and CPU utilization never exceeded 30%!!! It's pleasure to use it now.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I asked for a site with Spanish delivery, think that was in reply to me afaik!
    I know. I meant that you should check what RS will charge for delivery to Spain. My experience was that they were a rip off for delivery to Sweden wheras the pi hut will deliver to any international destination for £2.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

The only trouble with Windows is that you wont have compatibility with legacy apps, only ones you can get in the app store from Microsoft. As this is built on ARM architecture. It'll be interesting to see what the OS will be capable of, but I think it will be a funny one!

Any straightforward consumer/retail version of 10 for free on Pi seems unlikely. It's commercial suicide for a currently faltering MS and far too couch potato-ey for Pi's boffincratic house style. It strikes me more as an attempt to obtain critical mass in developing the pervasive automation architecture for the future "Internet of Things":
    Raspberry Pi is on a collision course with Microsoft's upcoming Windows 10 operating system. "For the last six months," the Raspberry Pi Foundation writes on its blog, "we've been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers."

"It runs," Upton said at the board's launch. "I've seen it running."

"We are excited about our partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2," Microsoft writes on its website.

A note of caution -- the version of Windows 10 that the Pi 2 ends up running could be quite different to the normal, consumer-centric version of Windows 10 that most computers will be running. The Pi-compatible edition will be part of Microsoft's Windows Developer Program for IoT (Internet of Things), which is concerned with bringing Windows development tools to small devices. "This is Windows 10 for IoT applications," Upton said.

As such, Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi is unlikely to appeal to ordinary consumers looking for the familiar Windows OS, but could appeal to geeky types who love the thought of delving into Microsoft's developer tools. Microsoft says it will be divulging more information in the next few months, so stay tuned.

http://www.cnet.com/news/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-is-a-quad-core-upgrade-on-sale-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

styron wrote: »
    Any straightforward consumer/retail version of 10 for free on Pi seems unlikely. It's commercial suicide for a currently faltering MS and far too couch potato-ey for Pi's boffincratic house style. It strikes me more as an attempt to obtain critical mass in developing the pervasive automation architecture for the future "Internet of Things":

I wouldnt discount it being consumer centric, it will only ever be a windows rt version, so your limited to store software which they will make a cut off. Its not going to canbalize the desktop/laptop market as its only 1gb of ram and 900mhz. Considering they are flogging x86 tablets with free windows 8.1, a low powered pi with a rt variant seems like a good way to promote the store and get a few more people developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Another source for us to purchase it from \/
    http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-quad-core-1gb-ram-73-6500

Slightly dearer than other locations but just for another option. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Got mine last night, didnt play with it much apart from raspbian, seems very fast and has loads of potential. Dont get radionics b+ case though, doesnt sit in it correctly and the microsd wont fit in right !

• Advertisement

imitation wrote: »
    Dont get radionics b+ case though, doesnt sit in it correctly and the microsd wont fit in right !
    I've been holding off on ordering a case as I'm unsure of compatibility issues with getting a cheapo case that may not have been specifically designed for the Pi2. Can anyone provide a link for something cheap that will definitely be compatible?

I will use the Pi purely for streaming and the box will be hidden away so looks aren't important.

My Pioneer AV amp has a usb port which claims to output 2.1 amps, is it OK to use this to power the Pi so that it will turn on when I turn on the amp or will I run into problems doing that?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My experience was that although it could be put to a wide number of uses it did none of them very well. I think if you're in the profession of coding and tech stuff then it has appeal but to me the first one wasn't very good at all.

Totally agree.

I was an early adopter and bought three of the first versions. On reflection they weren't great. Very temperamental and everytime I wanted to use it for something it couldn't handle it.

Was ok running XBMC for a while but frequently crashed, couldn't handle 1080p and had a lot of issues. Tried it as a download manager, absolutely useless.

They just sit gathering dust in a drawer. Ended up spending €380 on a proper HTPC and glad I did, the Pi is cheap, but like with anything you pay less you get less.

Worth remembering these are designed and built to teach children coding in schools. While there is obviously a community trying to find alternate uses for them, I dunno. I'll be skipping this iteration.

Our IT manager thought he was being well smart getting these in to replace desktop PC's. Absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

TheDoc wrote: »
    Our IT manager thought he was being well smart getting these in to replace desktop PC's.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

How are the usb ports now - able to give enough power to spin usb hdd or still needs external powered hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

loki7777 wrote: »
    How are the usb ports now - able to give enough power to spin usb hdd or still needs external powered hub?

I got the B+ two weeks ago, by adding a line of code to a config file you can enable sufficient power out through a USB port to run an external 2.5" drive.

You need to have a 2A mains adapter (apparently).

At the end of /boot/config.txt, add
    max_usb_current=1
    and reboot.

Works for me, but I take no responsibility if anyone has any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I bought seagate from argos, but now i have powered hub as well.
    I have B not B+ so i think no luck anyway.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

To be honest folks, check out the Odroid C1. Better specs for the same price. Running XBMC perfectly. The Pi would struggle

championc wrote: »
    To be honest folks, check out the Odroid C1. Better specs for the same price. Running XBMC perfectly. The Pi would struggle

The Pi2 does not struggle with Kodi.

Here is a comparison of the Pi2 and the Odroid C1. Whilst the C1 wins in a number of areas there isn't a huge performance difference.

But the key area where the Pi2 wins is in terms of community support. It was only available for a few hours when the first official builds of OpenElec were available for it. Whilst there are generic builds available there is still no officially supported build of OpenElec for the C1 yet.

Personally I just use addons to follow a couple of TV shows the day after they are first shown in the US and I am sure that many others are in a similar position for a variety of sports, tv shows or movies and so the performance difference with the C1 is of very little concern.

[Edit] Here is a quote from the Kodi forum from someone who has both:
    I can't notice a difference between the two when it comes to responsiveness of the UI, both are very good. I'd say they're on par with my x86 HTPC in the living room. Video playback seems better on the rPi2, has the ability to enabled deinterlacing etc. Kodi is reporting the C1 as dropping frames.

For $34 each I'd suggest buying both!
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987&pid=1914570#pid1914570

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do-more wrote: »
    The Pi2 does not struggle with Kodi.

Here is a comparison of the Pi2 and the Odroid C1. Whilst the C1 wins in a number of areas there isn't a huge performance difference.

But the key area where the Pi2 wins is in terms of community support. It was only available for a few hours when the first official builds of OpenElec were available for it. Whilst there are generic builds available there is still no officially supported build of OpenElec for the C1 yet.

Personally I just use addons to follow a couple of TV shows the day after they are first shown in the US and I am sure that many others are in a similar position for a variety of sports, tv shows or movies and so the performance difference with the C1 is of very little concern.

[Edit] Here is a quote from the Kodi forum from someone who has both:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987&pid=1914570#pid1914570

You have one for the Daily Show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

TheDoc wrote: »
    Our IT manager thought he was being well smart getting these in to replace desktop PC's. Absolute nightmare.
    :eek: I'm intrigued as to what you work at and when your PCs were last replaced if a Pi came anywhere close to meeting the requirements!

I'm imagining a business that makes money from chasing squirrels, with PCs from the late 90s? ;)

I am a fan of the Pi, might even get one for XBMC now - been using one of the original model Bs for various gadgety projects all along.

As previously mentioned, the community support is the key for the Pi.

Anyone know the boot time for the new model?

Advertisement