Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RasperryPi 2 Model B 1GB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

championc wrote: »
    To be honest folks, check out the Odroid C1. Better specs for the same price. Running XBMC perfectly. The Pi would struggle

the main pro for pi xbmc is cec which is absent in Odroid.
    Also i believe we need mini HDMI for Odroid.
    Otherwise technical specs are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The new model is certainly a massive improvement on the older one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ya I could be wrong so - I definitely had problems with some very high quality videos stuttering though.

Using xbmc by any chance? I had the same problem but it wasn't actually a problem with the pi, in xbmc advanced video playback menu there are two accelerators uncheck the second one and problem solved.

For people asking about cases for it, I used Lego :) that way you can build it around the ports and if it falls the Lego falls apart thus not damaging the pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Do-more wrote: »
    If you have a modern TV that supports CEC you can use your existing remote. See here for more details.
    What IR receiver do you use to get the TV remote working?

As Do-More says, it uses HDMI-CEC, so in other words no IR receiver is required (if your TV supports it)- it works through your tv, sending the signal back down the HDMI cable to the Pi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

GAAman wrote: »
    Using xbmc by any chance? I had the same problem but it wasn't actually a problem with the pi, in xbmc advanced video playback menu there are two accelerators uncheck the second one and problem solved.

For people asking about cases for it, I used Lego :) that way you can build it around the ports and if it falls the Lego falls apart thus not damaging the pi.
    That was it, yes - thanks, will check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

That was it, yes - thanks, will check that out.

System-Settings-Videos-Acceleration-Decoding method

(You have to change the settings level at the bottom of the screen to expert to do the above)

Make sure (libstagefright) is checked and uncheck (mediacodec) then reboot the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Damn you all....I just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

where from? just the basic Pi or with case and accessories?
    Whats your plan with it HTPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Snap!!

cuculainn wrote: »
    where from? just the basic Pi or with case and accessories?
    Whats your plan with it HTPC?

The Pi Hut, as they have stock.

And I do have an original raspberry pi, which was simply used for general computer geek messing, but this one will be used as a media centre. What distro I'll install I don't know just yet. But it will be a HTPC, and always on device that I can connect to remotely.

No need for accessories, never had a case for my original Pi, it just sat plugged in, on my desk with an ethernet cable and power. And I have plenty of spare SD cards to use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TheDoc wrote: »

Our IT manager thought he was being well smart getting these in to replace desktop PC's. Absolute nightmare.

Dear lord a Pi to replace a desktop PC. :eek: Can't imagine he was the IT manager for too long afterwards. I installed a ePos on a Pi before for a client and it was ok just barely.

The Pi Hut, as they have stock.

And I do have an original raspberry pi, which was simply used for general computer geek messing, but this one will be used as a media centre. What distro I'll install I don't know just yet. But it will be a HTPC, and always on device that I can connect to remotely.

No need for accessories, never had a case for my original Pi, it just sat plugged in, on my desk with an ethernet cable and power. And I have plenty of spare SD cards to use for it.

Thanks for the reply,

I am looking at getting one for as a media centre. I currently have an old pc that runs NAS4FREE and have a 1tb drive.

Ideally I would like to replace that with the PI. (for running cost mainly).

I have the NAS in the utility and access the files over the network. I have so called Smart tvs so use DLNA to play files.

My question is would the PI be an improvement on this, If i want to keep the hd from the NAs i would need a power supply for that

Thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

rob316 wrote: »
    Dear lord a Pi to replace a desktop PC. :eek: Can't imagine he was the IT manager for too long afterwards. I installed a ePos on a Pi before for a client and it was ok just barely.

I actually have a Pi running as a RDP client to a VM that has all our monitoring graphs for our networks/servers etc.. It displays out to a TV on the office wall. Works like a charm.

Nate

Thanks for the reply,
    I have the NAS in the utility and access the files over the network. I have so called Smart tvs so use DLNA to play files.

My question is would the PI be an improvement on this, If i want to keep the hd from the NAs i would need a power supply for that

Presumably the DLNA just shows a directory listing of the shared folders? The Pi has a full graphical UI, with DVD covers and full info on all the movies etc (cast, plot, rating etc). Exactly what it would show would depend on what flavour software you install.

p15574 wrote: »
    Presumably the DLNA just shows a directory listing of the shared folders? The Pi has a full graphical UI, with DVD covers and full info on all the movies etc (cast, plot, rating etc). Exactly what it would show would depend on what flavour software you install.

yeah just a list of files really. can I use the graphical interface of the pi (running kodi or whatever) remotely. ie can i set it up so that i can access the content from all tvs ( i can do this with the NAS allbeit in a limited form)

yeah just a list of files really. can I use the graphical interface of the pi (running kodi or whatever) remotely. ie can i set it up so that i can access the content from all tvs ( i can do this with the NAS allbeit in a limited form)

Not as far as I know, it's only on the TV the Pi is connected to via the HDMI - but there may be ways and means.

p15574 wrote: »
    Not as far as I know, it's only on the TV the Pi is connected to via the HDMI - but there may be ways and means.

or even if i had it hooked up to the main tv and use the interface there. and be able to use it as a NAS for the other tvs that would do too......Look basically I am just looking for a reason to buy one!!!:D help me out here

or even if i had it hooked up to the main tv and use the interface there. and be able to use it as a NAS for the other tvs that would do too......Look basically I am just looking for a reason to buy one!!!:D help me out here

Just buy it. It's cheap and it sounds like you'll get use out of it regardless.

If you are streaming from the device with multiple TV's and using it to output to your HD tv a 1080p movie, I can see this causing some issue. But I think you'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

SOCIAL5 should get you 5% off at the Pi Hut.

Just buy it. It's cheap and it sounds like you'll get use out of it regardless.

If you are streaming from the device with multiple TV's and using it to output to your HD tv a 1080p movie, I can see this causing some issue. But I think you'll be okay.
    Ruu wrote: »
    SOCIAL5 should get you 5% off at the Pi Hut.

thanks guys.....i'm off to pihut!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

available on Amazon from 11th February, can be pre-ordered for £29.99/€41.75 with free delivery.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    available on Amazon from 11th February, can be pre-ordered for £29.99/€41.75 with free delivery.

Price works out at £30.74 if shipping to Ireland.

£32.40 from Pi Hut at the moment with 5% off code: SOCIAL5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dudda wrote: »
    Highly unlikely however I'd get one just for SkyGo if it did. Sky aren't great at supporting anything which has the potential to reduce their revenue stream (either multiroom or new subscriptions). They have NowTV for anyone wanting to stream to a TV. We'll have to wait for Windows 10 to arrive for someone to confirm.

AFAIK This will be running the IOT version not the full version of Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

foggy_lad wrote: »

As usual no delivery to Ireland :(, parcel motel is only option I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Denisoftus wrote: »

Delivery was available for me, although it's not shipped from Amazon and there's a £6.50 charge. There's one fulfilled by Amazon but it's £42.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I got some delivered yesterday from Farnell.
    Worked out at €42.50 each including VAT and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

DubDJ wrote: »
    Delivery was available for me, although it's not shipped from Amazon and there's a £6.50 charge. There's one fulfilled by Amazon but it's £42.

I ordered mine yesterday evening.
    £30.74 from Amazon.
    To be shipped to me on 16th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody recommend a case for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody recommend a case for these?

Amazon have one for the new Pi 2 if your ordering. I also came across this one earlier, think it looks pretty good.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibow-coupe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you need to buy from amazon. it is pre-order only as not available till 11th, click on the link for "other sellers" and it should show amazon.

edit; your right the amazon listing is gone, they must have run out of pre-order stock?

Advertisement