Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RasperryPi 2 Model B 1GB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There's a story posted here that typical Xenon camera flashes are causing the RPi 2 to hang and reboot.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/213325

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There's a story posted here that typical Xenon camera flashes are causing the RPi 2 to hang and reboot.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/213325

a sensitive chip in the power supply part of the board
    I guess covering it with something would help
    B9Ut_QwIQAACrp_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Packaging is minimal if you order from the Pi-Hut through eBay. I don't have a problem with that. The parcel can be delivered through the average letterbox without you having to be at home.

Package measures: 22mm x 115mm x 160mm

No retail packaging or paperwork of any kind. Just the Pi 2 itself, placed inside an anti static bag.

pihut_IMG_20150209_091522.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

a sensitive chip in the power supply part of the board
    I guess covering it with something would help
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9Ut_QwIQAACrp_.jpg
    This could be why Amazon.co.uk seem to have withdrawn it from sale by themselves?

Ordered from ebay last week, so hope to see mine soon. Wouldn't be too worried about the flash issue myself but maybe it effects their certification and testing for selling it

Edit: arrived today w00t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This could be why Amazon.co.uk seem to have withdrawn it from sale by themselves?

Highly doubt it. Plenty of electronic circuit boards are sensitive to light, its called the photoelectric effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Highly doubt it. Plenty of electronic circuit boards are sensitive to light, its called the photoelectric effect.
    *heads off to Amazon in search of Raspberry RayBans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

foggy_lad wrote: »

Its really not a big deal, it seems to be some kind of variation on EPROMs that you can erase with UV light. If your raspberry pi is in some kind of situation where its constantly exposed to flashes then an opaque case or bit of insulating tape is a fine quick fix. Little unfair how its all over news sites, its a highly specific flaw in a 35 euro computer, no reason for mass recalls or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

imitation wrote: »
    Little unfair how its all over news sites, its a highly specific flaw in a 35 euro computer, no reason for mass recalls or anything.

Class action suit being prepared right now by the keyboard warriors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

imitation wrote: »
    Its really not a big deal, it seems to be some kind of variation on EPROMs that you can erase with UV light. If your raspberry pi is in some kind of situation where its constantly exposed to flashes then an opaque case or bit of insulating tape is a fine quick fix. Little unfair how its all over news sites, its a highly specific flaw in a 35 euro computer, no reason for mass recalls or anything.

Bitta black tape will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone running a Squeezebox server, or any of its variations, on one?

And can it handle say running a media server, such as XBMC, and Squeezebox simultaneously?

Back in the day I'd be all over this for developing etc, but now any spare time away from real work and kids is dedicated to doing as little that's mentally taxing as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Order from pi hut last week what is delivery times usually and is it an post it comes with or a delivery company?

Order from pi hut last week what is delivery times usually and is it an post it comes with or a delivery company?

Still waiting on mine too...ordered last Friday.

Ordered early on 4th on eBay, arrived on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

:eek:

Not even joking, it's a flaming disaster

Do-more wrote: »
    The Pi2 does not struggle with Kodi.

Here is a comparison of the Pi2 and the Odroid C1. Whilst the C1 wins in a number of areas there isn't a huge performance difference.

But the key area where the Pi2 wins is in terms of community support. It was only available for a few hours when the first official builds of OpenElec were available for it. Whilst there are generic builds available there is still no officially supported build of OpenElec for the C1 yet.

Personally I just use addons to follow a couple of TV shows the day after they are first shown in the US and I am sure that many others are in a similar position for a variety of sports, tv shows or movies and so the performance difference with the C1 is of very little concern.

[Edit] Here is a quote from the Kodi forum from someone who has both:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987&pid=1914570#pid1914570

The problem with this is it's an early review.

Read more of the longterm opinions from users and it varies drastically. My RPi was perfect and amazing the first while I was using it. Then cache starts to fill, it get's tempermental with heat and stability and it becomes a weekly diagnosis job.

I do genuinelly hope this new iteration is a big improvement. While I won't be buying one at present, and I won't be replacing my HTPC which is blowing anything away I've tried before, I'd happily utilise a Pi for use in other rooms.

Tried last night after this thread to setup my original Pi again, into a spare room and run Kodi, flaming disaster and its back in the drawer.

:eek: I'm intrigued as to what you work at and when your PCs were last replaced if a Pi came anywhere close to meeting the requirements!

I'm imagining a business that makes money from chasing squirrels, with PCs from the late 90s? ;)

In fairness the thought process was kinda ok. IT are trying to move users in the business onto terminal services. We have a server farm that provides instanced desktops centrally. So the thought was reduce individual hardware budgets, and remove the diverse hardware specs accross the business ( every second user has a different hardware setup making issue analysis taxing)

The Pi just seems to be floundering spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness the thought process was kinda ok. IT are trying to move users in the business onto terminal services. We have a server farm that provides instanced desktops centrally. So the thought was reduce individual hardware budgets, and remove the diverse hardware specs accross the business ( every second user has a different hardware setup making issue analysis taxing)

The Pi just seems to be floundering spectacularly.

Yeah I cant see the pi having the power to do terminal services nicely. Its also just not robust enoigh to be on all day being hammered by users. Its fact its based on sd cards with limited writes should be a good enough warning of that.

The Raspberry Pi 2 is finally a viable browser, anyone claiming the previous iterations were 'enjoyable', isn't being truthful to themselves.

Somebody will come back to me and say.. but that isn't what the Pi is about, I'm aware of that, but the real world browsing capability is really going to pick up an extra chunk of users, who might have been wary before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

TheDoc wrote: »
    Read more of the longterm opinions from users and it varies drastically. My RPi was perfect and amazing the first while I was using it. Then cache starts to fill, it get's tempermental with heat and stability and it becomes a weekly diagnosis job.
    I asked about this on the Kodi Forum and popcornmix who has had a Pi2 for a number of months now reports that he has had no problems with regard to heat and doesn't have a heat sink fitted. Granted a very small sample size of 1 but the longest term user you are going to find outside of the Pi foundation. Hopefully this bodes well for the future.

@Amalgam Once people have to option of booting Pindows 10 in a few months time I'm sure that usability will be even more widespread.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Do-more wrote: »
    @Amalgam Once people have to option of booting Pindows 10 in a few months time I'm sure that usability will be even more widespread.

Pindows!

Ahh FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

Pindows!

Ahh FFS

Took me ages to get it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Is this in stock on any of the links on the front page? I clicked into 2of the links and it wasn't clear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

groom wrote: »
    Is this in stock on any of the links on the front page? I clicked into 2of the links and it wasn't clear

Seems to be sold out almost all over, there are a few marketplace chancers on Amazon who still have stock but they are looking for around £40 a pop.

Amazon themselves have a pre-order link up again at £29.99 but no expected date.

invest4deepvalue.com

The Pi case makers Pimoroni seem to have stock.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/raspberry-pi-2

The catch is, you have to buy it in a bundle with one of their cases.

The Pimoroni cases are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

What are the options instead of using a keyboard with the pi, thought I might get away with just using the mouse for a bit but have raspbmc and you need keyboard to type details in. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

do you have an apple or android device? If so use the xbmc remote app for any txt fields it will pop up the on screen keyboard

My pi2 arrived from the pi hut this morning. Installed raspbian as a start, time for xmbc tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

My pi2 arrived from the pi hut this morning. Installed raspbian as a start, time for xmbc tomorrow!

I would go with openelec! Personally I think it is much better,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

modmypi emailed me to say that they had some stock yesterday so worth signing up to their mail list to get notified when they have it back in
    https://www.modmypi.com/shop/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-new

Advertisement