Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your best day in Croke Park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

SkipFC wrote: »
    9th October 2009

Sean St Ledger's late goal seemed to be the winner against the then world champions, Gilardino's equaliser shortly after was a stark reminder of how quickly things can change in sport and the vast range of emotions involved in such a short space of time. On reflection, I'm grateful for those few minutes where we were beating the world champions.

Yeah the three minutes of celebrating after St Ledgers goal that night was brilliant. Gilardinho stuck it in the hill 16 net then though to shut us up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

FatherTed wrote: »
    16 August 1981 Galway vs Limerick All-Ireland Hurling Semi Final Replay

Although I've been back many times since and seen Galway win the big one, my first time was probably my favourite. I'd always been jealous that my Dad had taken my older brothers to Galway's finals in 75, 79 and 80. But by the next year when I was 10, he finally had enough of my constant pestering to bring me up to Dublin.

It was a bright sunny summer Sunday, we drove up with 3 of my Dad's friends. I had been up to Dublin with my family before but going up to the big smoke was a big deal for me, hanging out with Dad and the lads. Had some drinks and sandwiches at the Shelbourne and then off up to Croke Park. They had tickets for the Hogan Stand but for some reason they didn't have a ticket for me. "Not a bother" my Dad said, he told me to just climb over the turnstile to get in. He went in before me but I froze when I came to the turnstile. "Jezes, will ya get in here!" my Dad shouted at me. Immediately I got my courage up, ignoring protestations from the ticket taker and jumped over the turnstile to get to the promised land. Thought I was the bees nees getting in like that. Off up to the stand the old lad.

There was a rivalry between the Galway and Limerick at the time ever since the final the year before. They had met a few weeks earlier in the first game when Galway were a bit lucky to get a draw in a low scoring but topsy turvy encounter. The big incident from the first game was the sending off of Sean Foley(who I think was the Limerick captain) for a wild chop down on PJ Molloy. So he was suspended for the replay.

This game was simply brilliant, high scoring with plenty of incident. Probably the best game that Galway team played with players like McInerney, Sean Silke, Iggy Clarke, the Connollys at their peak. Joe Connolly played his best game in maroon shirt, scoring 2-7 as Galway ran out winners by 4-16 to 2-17.

Off on the long drive home, we didn't have a care in the world. And it even didn't rain after we crossed the Shannon as it usually does when we come down from Dublin. What a day for a young lad.

Agree completely with the sentiment, if not the occasion. Two years later a 9 year old NotNear30 watched 12 men good and true and 14 of your countymen do battle. I remember little or none of the details of the match other than the sendings off. For years I mistakenly thought that John Caffrey had been one of the three Dubs sent off. I was in the old Nally Stand that day. I was never in it again.

I remember being brought to the Brian Boru on Cross Guns Bridge afterwards. Brilliant day for a kid.

From an adult perspective 2011 was fantastic. I was sitting in the Lower Hogan and Niall Guiden was sitting in front of me. He'd been on the panel the previous year but had left the country for work. Most of the panel came over to him at the end.

From a footballing perspective the semi final against Kerry in 2013 was the best match ever. Again all of the above are seen through blue tinted glasses.

1983 is number 1 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

This years All Ireland Football Final tops every other day i've had in Croke Park, for a number of reasons.
    1) The writing off of the team, by all including myself, and the response and hunger of the players. They had to adapt to a totally different gameplan for every single game and managed it, and came out on top.
    2)The stance in the face of adversity during the year, losing Gooch, Galvin, Tomás, struggling through the league, the return of Donaghy, coming back from the dead against Mayo, and battling through the replay, all led to this day in Croke Park. The lads performed on the day and got the win.
    3) Doing the Minor/Senior double was fantastic. A lot of talented Minor teams from Kerry fell by the wayside, but this team achieved what hadn't been done in Kerry for 20 years. Extra special to have a lad from my own club on the team.

and most importantly;

4) Having the season ticket meant that I was able to sit with my Parents for the All Ireland Final. I have attended 12 All Ireland Finals that Kerry have played in, and not once did I sit with both my parents. Its been a ritual for us since 1996 to travel all over the country following Kerry football. We've had ups and downs, seen great players start and finish their careers, seen All Ireland Winners and Losers. We had never the opportunity to sit together at the All Ireland Final and celebrate that final whistle together. There was no one I'd have rather been beside then my mother and father to celebrate winning an All Ireland, because Football has been a central part of our lives for 18 years. I grew up watching, analysing and discussing football with the two of them. I'll remember that moment till the day I die.

Best Game that Kerry lost in Croke Park: Dublin v Kerry 2013 Semi-Final

One that got away: Dublin v Kerry 2011 Final

Poorest Croke Park Performance from Kerry: 2001 Semi vs Meath and 2003 Semi vs Tyrone

Greatest Buzz not involving Kerry
    : Mayo v Donegal Q/Final 2013- Just class. Epic performance from Mayo.

Greatest Gaa Moment outside of Croke Park:
    Kerry v Mayo 2014 All Ireland Semi Final Replay (Limerick... in case you forgot)
    Felt like my heart was going to burst. Nearly bawled at full time. The emotions were gone haywire after 2 games and extra time. Soaked up the atmosphere on the pitch afterwards like an All Ireland victory, and had an overwhelming feeling of pride in the team. It didn't matter that Dublin were playing Donegal the next day, and that everyone felt that they'd hammer us.

Greatest Hurling game: A bit of an odd one but the League Final in 2003. Kilkenny and Tipperary. Kerry were beaten by Antrim in the Division 2 Final beforehand so we were a bit disappointed. What followed was the most skillfull sporting display in any sport that I have seen between two extraordinarily well matched teams. Finished 5-14 to 5-13. Beautiful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Best moments : Seeing Dublin beat Donegal in 2011 and reaching there first All Ireland Final for the first time in such a long time and overcoming Donegals puke football. Seeing Dublin beat Meath in 3 Leinster Finals in a row was sweet and watching the Meath fans flow out was a nice sight to behold knowing there team was on the end of a annihilation in the 2014 Leinster Final. The Tyrone Quarter - Final in 2011 was a pure masterclass by Dublin in how to play the right way. Connolly put in a unbelievable performance that night.

Beating Meath in the 2002 Leinster Semi - Final was also a great day,because I went in thinking we would get turned over again like the 01 Final. The game against Tyrone as well in 2010 was a great day,will neve forget the moment O’Gara smashed home the goal in front of The Hill.

Worst moments : The Leinster Final in 01 and the Meath fans chanting cheerio as my Dad and I left with a few minutes to go. The 2009 game against Kerry. The 2010 semi - final against Cork was absolutely gutted at how we threw away that game. The annihalation at the hands of Meath in the Leinster Semi - Final in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Considering all the final heartbreak we have had...Same day without hesitation.Enjoyed the Mayo Donegal 2013 quarter final too.

Same as that.

Mayo v Dublin in 06 was the best sports event I was ever at.

Mayo v Donegal was something special too, the intensity from Mayo was savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

SkipFC wrote: »
    9th October 2009

Sean St Ledger's late goal seemed to be the winner against the then world champions, Gilardino's equaliser shortly after was a stark reminder of how quickly things can change in sport and the vast range of emotions involved in such a short space of time. On reflection, I'm grateful for those few minutes where we were beating the world champions.

Somebody already played the "I'm mad banter I am" card.
    I know the title says Croke Park but the fact that it is in the GA forum should be a good guide as to what people intend on discussing.

You already knew that though- you were just being a mad b*stard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

21 June 2003.

Opening ceremony of the special olympics world summer games. Spine tingling atmosphere, so uplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Kilkenny v Tipperary 2014 Final - it had everything

...apart from a winner ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

As a Mayo man all this thread is doing is further reinforcing my jealously/hatred of Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

2 days, 2010 AI semi Dublin v Cork and then final v Down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was too young to remember being in Croker for 98 against Kildare, was sick the day they beat Meath in 01 and was left at home on my own while the fam went up to Croker :o

Probably Leinster Final 2012 against KK. An absolute decimation of the All-Ireland champions. Best defensive performance I've seen from any Galway side in my lifetime. That Johnny Coen shoulder is my abiding memory, more so than the goals even if you can believe that. A bunch of nice KK folk left 20 minutes in and were congratulating us on the way out. Not winning the AI that year will haunt this particular side sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

All-Ireland Hurling final 1982. Cork were thought to be untouchable, with only the Longford Leader and Sligo Champion tipping Kilkenny to win. Christy Heffernan blew Cork apart by half-time, and Kilkenny won - pulling a plough. I've had many happy days with Kilkenny in Croke Park since, but I'll never forget that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

2004 vs Armagh

We don't get to Croker often but by god that was some day

http://youtu.be/bnLoiLD4WjI

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

2013 Semifinal. Dublin vs Kerry

In the hill for the best game of football I've ever seen. End to end the whole game. Been going to the hill the last 6-7 years but never had a moment on it like when kevin mackers goal went it was like an avalanche on the hill. Topped the Cluxton point for me and I was even in the hill for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath v Dublin 2001
    Meath v Dublin 2007 first match
    Limerick v Kilrenny 2014
    Meath v kerry 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All-Ireland Hurling final 1982. Cork were thought to be untouchable, with only the Longford Leader and Sligo Champion tipping Kilkenny to win. Christy Heffernan blew Cork apart by half-time, and Kilkenny won - pulling a plough. I've had many happy days with Kilkenny in Croke Park since, but I'll never forget that day.

Too young for that, but 2006 was the same feeling. People forget now, with hindsight, that Kilkenny weren't just underdogs, they were essentially regarded as a bunch of lads sponsored by the local creamery to give the most professional team in hurling history a bit of a run. Nobody, bar Damien Fitzhenry, have Kilkenny a hope that day. When Niall Mc tested John Tennysons shoulder before throw in and he gave it straight back to him, I had a good feeling.

I'm a north Kilkenny man, and beating tipp so often the last few years has meant a lot, to the point where I might be alone among Kilkenny men to say this, but the feeling of that victory was better than any of those other days. The idea that we dominated the decade sends obvious now, but that was in no way assured at that point, and we looked like fodder going into the match. We looked a bit different that evening. It was also the first time I ever heard of Plan B. The cork folks around us were more or less urging us to storm the pitch. They knew what it meant too. Great day, was smiling for the next two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

20/09/92 in someones back yard:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Slim1996 wrote: »
    2013 Semifinal. Dublin vs Kerry

In the hill for the best game of football I've ever seen. End to end the whole game. Been going to the hill the last 6-7 years but never had a moment on it like when kevin mackers goal went it was like an avalanche on the hill. Topped the Cluxton point for me and I was even in the hill for that

Definitely the best game I've ever seen in Croke Park. Think my best day in Croke Park though is a toss up between the semi final and the final in 2011. That sense of relief of finally getting over the line and into a final was unbelievable. And then actually going on to win it in the final when we looked dead and buried at 4 points down.

An honourable mention for the Dublin v Armagh semi final in 2002 which was an amazing day in Croke Park even though we were on the wrong side of the result. One of the best atmosphere's i've ever experienced at a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Definitely 27th September 1998. Galway beat Kildare 1-14 to 1-10 to
    end 32 year famine. And I was 32 at the time.

In Canal End that was a sea of Maroon & White and a fantastic atmosphere.

It was demolished the following day. Yep. We were the last ones to stand in it!
    The passion. The emotion. The exhilaration at the final whistle!

Running on to the pitch. The Captain's speech. Never will forget it.

And it didn't rain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Armagh in 08 ... Being from a county where football is second class citizen that moment when Mattie stuck the net ... God it was just unbelievable... As my father said to me " now you know why gaa is important" so many years in the doldrums for that one moment of sheer ecstatic ... Well gimme the 14 point hammerings by Clare any day to relieve that moment again.

I am a football fan but a wexford fan first and when Mick Jacob stuck Kilkenny in 04 no disrespect to any Kilkenny supporters( you have had your revenge on multiply occasions ha) but by god it was like every Christmas had come at one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Armagh in 08 ... Being from a county where football is second class citizen that moment when Mattie stuck the net ... God it was just unbelievable... As my father said to me " now you know why gaa is important" so many years in the doldrums for that one moment of sheer ecstatic ... Well gimme the 14 point hammerings by Clare any day to relieve that moment again.

I am a football fan but a wexford fan first and when Mick Jacob stuck Kilkenny in 04 no disrespect to any Kilkenny supporters( you have had your revenge on multiply occasions ha) but by god it was like every Christmas had come at one

I remember that day well as a Kerry man I was in early for to see Kerry V Galway in what was an epic game of football, the heavens opened and around 10 inches of rain must have fell and Kerry played out a great display to narrowly edge out Galway that day. Everyone from Kerry was cheering for Wexford that afternoon and it was played in excellent conditions compared to the deluge which should follow later and it made history for it was the first championship game played under the newly erected floodlights in Croker at the time.

I also remember the following Semi-Final between Tyrone and Wexford as Kerry had a replay against Cork the same day. Had Mattie Forde not got injured in what was a typical piece of Tyrone Skullduggery then Wexford would have beaten Tyrone the same day. Tyrone were under orders to injure Forde that day as Wexford were on top form in the second half and without Forde they couldn't maintain the momentum to beat Tyrone.

One of the great things in the last few years has to be seeing Tyrone wither and die as a competitive force because all they brought was aggression, the worst type of negative antics and an unsporting culture of win at all costs even if it means beating the bejaysus out of your opponent to do it.

I would love to see Galway rise again and they have always been a fine clean proponent of the game who only ever played the closest brand of football to Kerry in the traditional purist style as it should be played. 2014 was another great important milestone in that Donegal's puke negative system got found out and Kerry stayed true to the virtues of the game and defeated McGuinness using the two big forwards, Donaghy and Geaney and with Tommy Walsh and Gooch adding additional firepower upfront Kerry will be a tough nut to crack for 2015 and the best thing about it is that if a team wants to play puke then Kerry can counteract that and neutralise it to maximum effect as we saw against Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Stinicker wrote: »
    I remember that day well as a Kerry man I was in early for to see Kerry V Galway in what was an epic game of football, the heavens opened and around 10 inches of rain must have fell and Kerry played out a great display to narrowly edge out Galway that day. Everyone from Kerry was cheering for Wexford that afternoon and it was played in excellent conditions compared to the deluge which should follow later and it made history for it was the first championship game played under the newly erected floodlights in Croker at the time.

I also remember the following Semi-Final between Tyrone and Wexford as Kerry had a replay against Cork the same day. Had Mattie Forde not got injured in what was a typical piece of Tyrone Skullduggery then Wexford would have beaten Tyrone the same day. Tyrone were under orders to injure Forde that day as Wexford were on top form in the second half and without Forde they couldn't maintain the momentum to beat Tyrone.

One of the great things in the last few years has to be seeing Tyrone wither and die as a competitive force because all they brought was aggression, the worst type of negative antics and an unsporting culture of win at all costs even if it means beating the bejaysus out of your opponent to do it.

I would love to see Galway rise again and they have always been a fine clean proponent of the game who only ever played the closest brand of football to Kerry in the traditional purist style as it should be played. 2014 was another great important milestone in that Donegal's puke negative system got found out and Kerry stayed true to the virtues of the game and defeated McGuinness using the two big forwards, Donaghy and Geaney and with Tommy Walsh and Gooch adding additional firepower upfront Kerry will be a tough nut to crack for 2015 and the best thing about it is that if a team wants to play puke then Kerry can counteract that and neutralise it to maximum effect as we saw against Donegal.

What an unbelievably bitter rant.

Tyrone were a great team during the 00's and played some of the best football of that decade, their run from the quarter finals onwards in 08 is 3 of the best attacking performances we are likely to see back to back.

Kerry's style of football last year was rather dour in large parts and they played terrible football in the final and basically decided to out puke Donegal, only for a bad kickout they probably would have lost the game.Kerry are well able to mix it with the best of them when it comes to dirt and cynicism it's just not reported as much as it is when an ulster team does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

gizmo23 wrote: »

Fair play too - thoroughly deserved victory. For ourselves, that represented one of the most poverty stricken performances I can ever recall, with only the individual brilliance of Clarke and McDonnell keeping us in touch for so long.

Being totally depressed, we made the decision to stay and watch the first half of the Kerry v Galway game - another disaster! Wasn't home until the early hours of the next morning driving in my boxer shorts!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

well i was bless growing up a father a mad offalyman and living and born in kilkenny, 1982 great year as a chap at both finals kilkenny and offaly Darbys last minute goal will never forget it the hogan was rocking to the core then the ball hit the net, will never forget it, the hurling final when an over the hill some said Paddy Pendergast hurl Tony O'Suillivan out of the game. the first back door winners final i couldn't lose realy some display from Brian Whelehan scoring 1-6 that day. and anyday we beat tipp was a good year

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

As a Kilkenny fan I've been blessed with so many great days but the semi final against Limerick last year was special for me.

Was there with all my family, we were absolutely soaked to the skin and I remember my sister looking at me at one stage and saying 'we're going to lose this game'.

What a feeling when the lads kept on fighting until the end, the grit and determination to keep going just made me so proud to be not just a Kilkenny fan but a hurling fan that day.

For two teams to be out playing in thunder and lightning and torrential rain just highlights how special a sport it is and how much it means to people.

IrishAlice wrote: »

For two teams to be out playing in thunder and lightning and torrential rain just highlights how special a sport it is and how much it means to people.

That was a great win alright, but whatever about the players playing in the rain, they got to go in to a hot shower straight away. I had no poncho, no rain jacket, no nothing, and sat freezing on a bus for an hour and a half before I got home (only across town, not even going to Kilkenny). Didn't even go for a pint after the match, was too miserable wet. Can only imagine how Limerick fans must have felt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Fireball07 wrote: »
    2007 Limerick vs Waterford in hurling, not many gave us much hope but we came out all guns blazing and roared into an early lead. Waterford came back strong, but we managed to get enough goals to hold on and reach the final. I haven't seen Limerick win in Croke Park that often, that was a great, great day.

that was my worst day in Croke Park haha

Beating Tipp in the semi final in 2008 was probably my best. So many lost semi finals before we won one .... No need to mention what happened after :o

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

That was a great win alright, but whatever about the players playing in the rain, they got to go in to a hot shower straight away. I had no poncho, no rain jacket, no nothing, and sat freezing on a bus for an hour and a half before I got home (only across town, not even going to Kilkenny). Didn't even go for a pint after the match, was too miserable wet. Can only imagine how Limerick fans must have felt!

I know exactly how they felt - Kilkenny v Cork, 1999. My first ever time to be in Croke Park, on the Hill in the lashing rain and losing by 1 point!

My OH is from Cork and we regularly talk about this game. He was on the Hill too and obviously had a very different day :D

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I know exactly how they felt - Kilkenny v Cork, 1999. My first ever time to be in Croke Park, on the Hill in the lashing rain and losing by 1 point!

My OH is from Cork and we regularly talk about this game. He was on the Hill too and obviously had a very different day :D

Same with 2004, lashing rain, only the deficit was bigger so it was just depressing all day.

Fortunately I wasn't there, and was getting the latest scores online (no streaming services back then!) from an internet cafe in the middle of nowhere in Hungary. Was very glad to be somewhere that nobody knew anything about hurling that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork v Meath in 1990 AI. I was only 6 was my first AI and Cork won double.

Beating the Cats in 1999 was also special. The Kilkenny folk beforehand thought they had nothing else just to show up.

Beating Dublin and Down in 2010.

2004 hurling final was the best though. What a day and I had best weekend in Dublin ever that lasted till the Wednesday after the game ;)

Was lucky to be at the 2010 AI hurling final. Never seen fans go as crazy as the Tipp fans that day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And some people think the players make sacrifices, what about the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Dublin v Mayo 06. Mayo went into that match complete underdogs. Fantastic match. Edge of the seat suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Has to be the 1998 all Ireland final for me. I'll never forget the cheer in the canal end when Padraig Joyce scored. The emotion from the Galway fans at the final whistle. It was a fantastic day for Galway and a great game of football between 2 very good teams. It was an absolute privilege for 15 year old self to be part of that experience, one I'll never forget.
    1995 is a close second when Galway were beaten by Tyrone in ai semi. That was my first time in croke park, I still remember walking up on the steps of the upper hogan and seeing croke park for the first time. I was blown away (to put it mildly). Galway played quite well that day too despite being huge outsiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Has to be the 1998 all Ireland final for me. I'll never forget the cheer in the canal end when Padraig Joyce scored. The emotion from the Galway fans at the final whistle. It was a fantastic day for Galway and a great game of football between 2 very good teams. It was an absolute privilege for 15 year old self to be part of that experience, one I'll never forget.
    1995 is a close second when Galway were beaten by Tyrone in ai semi. That was my first time in croke park, I still remember walking up on the steps of the upper hogan and seeing croke park for the first time. I was blown away (to put it mildly). Galway played quite well that day too despite being huge outsiders.

As a Dublin fan, the final in 2011 will always stand out as the single best sporting moment I have been at. However, 2013 was definitely the sweetest year. Beating Galway in the Hurling final, Dublin Kerry in the semi's was football at its finest and felt like a final. It was a pity the Mayo final was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

It has been quite a while since I have had a good one, but there are quite a few days to pick from so I will list them in reverse order.

5. 1996 All-Ireland semi Final vs Tyrone. Ulster teams were in Ascendancy and Meath had come out of Leinster in a surprise victory over the All-Ireland Champions Dublin but were not expected to win, but Graham Gerathy ran amock and Tyrone simply had no answer to him.

4. 1986 Leinster Final. I was 15, Meath had not won a Leinster for 16 years, it was the wettest day I ever remember in Croke park, and we held Dublin to 2 points in the second half, Dublin literally could not get the ball out of their own half and I remember at one point Gerry McEntee fisted a John O'Leary kickout 30 yards back towards the Dublin goal, that raised an enormous cheer from the stand (For a fist on a ball!) because Meath supporters knew with 20 minutes to go that Dublin had no way out of defense and 16 years of hurt were coming to an end.

3. 1987 All-Ireland Final vs Cork. Mick Lyons full lenght dive to stop a Cork Goal, Colm O'Rourke diving to fist a goal. The simple fact that these 2 along with several others were outstanding vetren players appearing in and winning their 1st All-Irelands and almost in their 30s, and playing with a dermination that they were not going to be denied All-Ireland medal so late in their Careers.

2. Strangley one that we lost. 1991 All-Ireland final because it was a privilage to watch what I still think were the 2 outstanding corner forward displays I have ever seen from players on oppossing teams, Bernard Flynn and Mickey Lindon were both sublime on that day. Also the display of Colm O'Rourke in coming off the bench with Phnuenomia and almost turning arround an 8 point deficit was raw courage and grit.

1. It must be, it has to be.

1991 3rd Replay 1st round Leintster Championship Meath vs Dublin. Combined attendance at the games 250,000. No sporting event in history has ever gripped the nation as this one did and that includes Italia 1990. The videos of these games were used by Alex Ferguson as a motivational tool for his players.
    2 minutes to go, Meath are dead, 3 points down. A 14 pass move starts on the meath goal-line and finishes with a goal by a man who never scored in 10 years playing for Meath the teak tough skinny Kevin Foley, the kick-out is caught by Liam Hayes passed to David Beggy, kicks, scores, 1 point win. The stands are a mixture of stunned disbelieve in Blue and Extratic Dileriam in green. 25 minutes later I buy a copy of the evening herald on middle abbey street that went to press early and says Dublin won the match.

I still have that paper and the jersey Kevin Foley wore that day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah com'on, surely you got to see Baltinglass become All-Ireland club champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I feel privileged to have witnessed Kerry v Mayo in 2006 and Kilkenny v Waterford in 2008. On both occassions both Kerry and Kilkenny completely controlled the game from start to finish and never looked in danger of losing. Kilkenny pulled up in the second half but I feel if they wanted they could have easily gotten 50 points. Kerry also pulled up and had they not conceded three incredibly soft goals, the scoreline would've looked like a fairer reflection on Kerrys dominance.

I will echo Kilkenny v Limerick last year, what a surreal afternoon. Stuck on the Hill in the pissing rain surrounded by Limerick fans. Had that game been played at any other venue in Ireland, the game would've been abandoned but the Croke Park surface was amazing as always. Quite how we managed to get through that day I'll never know. It's not too often a side scores only 1-4 in the second half of an All-Ireland hurling semi and still gets through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

paul71 wrote: »
    25 minutes later I buy a copy of the evening herald on middle abbey street that went to press early and says Dublin won the match.

I still have that paper and the jersey Kevin Foley wore that day. :D
    For the love of Seán Boylan, you must post a picture of that paper's headline :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

I have loads!! Oh I wish Offaly were there more often

1994 hurling all Ireland final, was on the hill with my dad, was the most amazing experience ever. Well just the last few minutes, the excitement when pat o Connor got that second goal, one of my favourite memories ever. Hopefully I will be able to see the faithful county win another all Ireland.

Another one was the second replay against Clare in 1998. That was a special moment, to play a part in ensuring offaly were still in the running that year. Plus it was great craic out on the field!

But if I had to choose, it would be a Tie between the 2009 junior camogie final and the 2010 intermediate final when offaly won both. Having followed the offaly camogie team for years, who give as much as their male counterparts and never received the recognition. Maybe I am a bit biased with my sister being part of the team but I have seen first hand the dedication required.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

As a Donegal man I never thought Cork 2012 would be surpassed until Dublin 2014. I know we won the AIrl in 2012 but that Cork semi final was my special moment from that year l. I remember pre - game giving us no hope and the euphoria when we won was unreal. Had a similar feeling pre Dublin this year and the victory against a team who had to just show up was special.

From a neutral viewpoint; I have been to every hurling final since 97 and Tipp stopping the 5 in a row was a special match to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I think ive been blessed that I had so many great days in croker with meath, sadly all before I was 20 though! The best for me has to be beating the Dubs in 91. It was the first year my father brought me to all the games and I remember the novelty of the Saturday game, my father actually worked in Balbriggan and had to do a few hours that morning, I'll always remember getting into the town to meet him and the nerves even though I was only 7.

I actually remember very little of the game apart from watching it back over the years, I always thought Beggys point was from further out. I just remember the sheer joy at full time from everyone around us, definitely what made me fall in love with GAA.

I'm also pretty fond of 99 too I was 15 at that stage and luckily got a ticket for the hill for the final the first time I struck out at a game on my own really because before that it was with the club or my father.

Honorable mentions to beating Mayo in 09 and the Dubs in 2010 for the sheer unexpectedness of them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Best day for me in croke park was Feb 8, 2013 Ire v Eng in 2007. Most days there end in disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

In chronological order:

1st May 2011 - Watching Ryaner and the rest of Dublin tear apart Kilkenny and win our first National Hurling League since 1939 was right up there in my top 5 moments in Croker at #5. Alas, we weren't unstoppable...

18th of September 2011 - I cannot describe the wave of emotion that came over me. As I stood there in the dying seconds with the perfect view of Cluxton's last kick watching it sail over I erupted with glee and instantaneously burst into tears. I was surrounded by season ticket holders and completely alone, I knew nobody there. None of it mattered any more, for that day (and the next at the homecoming) nothing mattered except Dublin football. I'll never forget it for as long as I live. #1 on my list, it'll be hard to beat.

July 7th 2013 - I was one of the 36,657 who witnessed the first Dublin hurling Leinster win in 52 years. I agree with my own post 18 months on - on days like that, nothing beats being there. I think it was a bit more special because hurling isn't what most people associate Dublin with, so the crowd was smaller (less people there than when Dublin won the league in 2011) and they were mostly die hard fans. Amazingly enough, it was my first day on the Hill too. #3 in my list.

11 August 2013 - It's hard to feature this because thinking about it now still breaks my heart. On that day I witnessed some of the best hurling I've ever seen. Complete ding-dong stuff in the first half, I began to believe we could topple the mighty Cork and make the big showdown in September for the first time since '61. It wasn't to be. As I left the Hill in Croker utterly, utterly dejected a big Cork lad put his hand on my shoulder and said "Ye'll be back at again next year, ye have what it takes. That was an incredible spectacle". As time passes I appreciate the gesture more and more so it's #4 in my list.

22 September 2013 - Not as magical as above, but still right up there for different reasons. My dad (a Dub) lives down the country and watched 2011 at home. He told me he'd never felt so alone, watching his county win a match in another with nobody to celebrate with. He took the following day off work on the spot, drove up to Dublin and we went on the beer and had a great night out. He's been a season ticket holder since then. 2013 was the first time winning Sam with both of us there on the day. I'd only been on the Hill twice before (see above) and we swapped our Cusack tickets to be in there. His last final was 30 years before where he went on that long drive down to Cork with his own dad on that fateful day in August '83. Once again I'll never forget it, a special day. #2 in my top 5

Looking back on it now: 2013 was an absolute golden year for both Hurling and Football and I didn't even get to mention the Dublin-Kerry semi-final. If I never see a year like it again I'll still be glad I was there for the lot!

For good measure my worst day in Croker was when Kerry tore Dublin apart in 2009 in front of an almost full house of 82,000. It was a great day for it, the sun beating down on us in the Davin stand. From a Dublin perspective the weather was as good as it got. Men vs boys, it was a complete massacre made all the worse by some knob riling us all up, fist pumping every one of the 25 scores. I genuinely thought I was done with Dublin after that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Last years AI hurling drawn final by far my best day. Even tho I had a rake of money on KK I didn't leave Croke Park annoyed I left knowing that I witnessed probably the greatest Hurling final ever gave me great joy that game. I got my money back on the replay BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I have lived overseas for nearly 26 years now so most of my games would be pre 1989. I was lucky to be able to catch all the games in the 70’s but found the 1983 campaign very special. For some reason the Leinster final against Offaly remains near and dear to me. I was lucky to be able to get home for the 2011 AI final and the way we came back and beat Kerry was a joy to behold for us Dubs. Having witnessed all that I have witnessed down the years, I have to say my best day in Croker was on St. Patrick’s Day 2013, that day my little club played in the All Ireland Football Final. We lost by a point that day and I was heartbroken but looking back it was one of the proudest day of my life. The little club that all my family played with, helped coach and administer were center of the GAA world for that one day. A day I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Mine was by far the all Ireland replay last year. We in Kilkenny are so lucky to have witnessed many successes, but there was something so emotional about that match. When the final whistle went there were several people crying with joy,myself included, like I said there were many great times in croker but last year was my favourite.

Advertisement