Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another croke park gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

nm wrote: »
    What in gods name are you talking about :confused:

You know they don't have an exact date. How do you know that?

Simple question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

alastair wrote: »
    It seems that way to you, does it? Despite all evidence to the contrary?

Yes it does. What evidence do you have that the dates supplied by Tearin it Up aren't as good as any?

You're looking for a rough set of dates that are unconfirmed. What's the issue?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You know they don't have an exact date. How do you know that?

Simple question.

Simple answer too, as I said in the previous post I presume they're still finalising as they haven't announced anything yet.

How do you know they do have any exact date? Oh yea you don't either. Are you starting to understand presumptions now?

The CP residents don't disappoint do they - not sure yet what it is they're going to be complaining about this year so in the meantime they'll complain about the fact that they don't know precisely when it is yet, even if the promoters themselves can't say for sure at this time.

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes it does. What evidence do you have that the dates supplied by Tearin it Up aren't as good as any?

Well last year people were saying "why don't they go on holidays or plan around the gigs"

This year they're trying to but a 9 week window spread through 3 months isn't the most helpful thing.
    Simple answer too, as I said in the previous post I presume they're still finalising as they haven't announced anything yet.

How do you know they do have any exact date? Oh yea you don't either. Are you starting to understand presumptions now?

I would also presume they'd have it fairly narrowed down based on artist and venue availability, conflicting events etc. If they don't have a definite date I'd say it's nailed down to a 3-5 day window.

But I'm also presuming.

The CP residents don't disappoint do they - not sure yet what it is they're going to be complaining about this year so in the meantime they'll complain about the fact that they don't know precisely when it is yet, even if the promoters themselves can't say for sure at this time.

Great bunch of lads.

I don't read it as complaining at all, After last year whenever gigs were announced certain people were always gonna be interviewed whenever gigs were announced and the residents committee was always gonna be one, so what are they supposed to say?

And nobodies saying that the promoters/cp should have met with them 3 weeks ago and said "Hey ed sheeran is playing on july 4th* but shhhhhhhhhhhhh", But again would it have been that hard to let them know you're in discussions before you make a radio statement? Then at least you can claim you're doing something.

*That was an example.

Great bunch of lads.

That's a fairly complicated answer, with some questions and some complaints about complaints along with a lot of presumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I, nor anyone else, is looking for anything, other than useful information, which that is not. I'd say misguided sarcasm is the particular issue at play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Well last year people were saying "why don't they go on holidays or plan around the gigs"

This year they're trying to but a 9 week window spread through 3 months isn't the most helpful thing.
    they're trying to go on holiday due to the hassle of some trucks being in the area for a few days when most people are out at work, having to show a permit to drive a car into a few streets on the day of the concert, and 30mins of loads of people walking on the road around 11pm?

what a bunch of bellends.

Great bunch of lads.

I usually find that if you can't grasp the merit of a legitimate complaint, it's best to not try and sully the complainant. The fact that planning permission was refused for the additional gigs last year might be a clue as to the legitimacy of the resident's complaints - however disappointing, or otherwise, you might them. Again - refer to the IT piece for an easy-to-understand synopsis of what residents want and don't want from Croke Park.

they're trying to go on holiday due to the hassle of some trucks being in the area for a few days when most people are out at work, having to show a permit to drive a car into a few streets on the day of the concert, and 30mins of loads of people walking on the road around 11pm?

what a bunch of bellends.

You really don't have any idea of the disruption involved, do you? Bellend is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Eight pages and still no announcement, might as well lock it until there is an actual announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

You really don't have any idea of the disruption involved, do you? Bellend is about right.
    considering I used to live 3 minutes walk from Croke Park on Clonmore Road, yes, i do.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's a fairly complicated answer, with some questions and some complaints about complaints along with a lot of presumptions.

I'm sorry you couldn't follow, I thought it was simple anyway.

I usually find that if you can't grasp the merit of a legitimate complaint, it's best to not try and sully the complainant. The fact that planning permission was refused for the additional gigs last year might be a clue as to the legitimacy of the resident's complaints - however disappointing, or otherwise, you might them. Again - refer to the IT piece for an easy-to-understand synopsis of what residents want and don't want from Croke Park.

I grasp it just fine, I just don't agree with it and you can't seem to handle this through your tunnel vision.

I don't believe the residents, however whingey and impatient they may get, should be spoon fed information which is subject to change at a later date, as this then could be thrown back in the promoters face if a change does happen. A certain % of residents will have it out for the promoters and the GAA no matter what.. why give them possible ammunition?
    This is my point of view having reading the article.

I'm sure as soon as the promoter can confirm the dates they will let the residents and everyone else involved know first thing. As hynesie08 referred to, giving them something (again - anything) to get them off their backs is probably on the agenda - but I would gather only once it can be confirmed.
    They're not in the business of jeopardising their own plans.

considering I used to live 3 minutes walk from Croke Park on Clonmore Road, yes, i do.

Clearly not, if your description of what's the extent of disruption involved is anything to judge by. Clonmore Road isn't inside the cordon, in any case.

I grasp it just fine, I just don't agree with it and you can't seem to handle this through your tunnel vision.

I don't believe the residents, however whingey and impatient they may get, should be spoon fed information which is subject to change at a later date, as this then could be thrown back in the promoters face if a change does happen. A certain % of residents will have it out for the promoters and the GAA no matter what.. why give them possible ammunition?
    This is my point of view having reading the article.

I'm sure as soon as the promoter can confirm the dates they will let the residents and everyone else involved know first thing. As hynesie08 referred to, giving them something (again - anything) to get them off their backs is probably on the agenda - but I would gather only once it can be confirmed.
    They're not in the business of jeopardising their own plans.

I really don't care about 'possible ammunition' for narky residents tbh. Even when the gigs are announced by the promoters, there's no certainty that licences for the gigs will be approved, so the only point of absolute certainty is post-licencing of the event, weeks or days before the gig. What's certain is that both promoters and Croke Park are well aware of what weeks (and quite likely specific days) they've earmarked for the gigs already, and could, if they wanted to, share that information already, with the residents that it will effect, without revealing any more specifics.

There's no greater complexities involved in communicating the times of disruption, and nothing to jeopardise. All the promoters are well aware of who's scheduling what and when - it's not like they keep this stuff secret from each other - they benefit from sharing this information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I really don't care about 'possible ammunition' for narky residents tbh. Even when the gigs are announced by the promoters, there's no certainty that licences for the gigs will be approved, so the only point of absolute certainty is post-licencing of the event, weeks or days before the gig. What's certain is that both promoters and Croke Park are well aware of what weeks (and quite likely specific days) they've earmarked for the gigs already, and could, if they wanted to, share that information already, with the residents that it will effect, without revealing any more specifics.

There's no greater complexities involved in communicating the times of disruption, and nothing to jeopardise. All the promoters are well aware of who's scheduling what and when - it's not like they keep this stuff secret from each other - they benefit from sharing this information.

I'll narrow down the dates for you. More than likely it will happen on a weekend

May - 1, 2, 3
    8, 9, 10
    15, 16, 17
    22, 23, 24

June - 5, 6, 7
    12, 13, 14

July - 17, 18, 19

If its one concert, that's 21 possible dates for you and the residents. Its probably on a Saturday, that's 7 possible dates. Can you not see the problem there? Giving the residents 7 possible dates.

If its Ed Sheeran that is planned like it was rumoured, he's in Las Vegas until mid-may.

I'm only guessing it will be on a Saturday as it will sell out more. He's free on May 23, June, 6 & 13, July 18. That's four possible dates. Giving the residents theses 4 dates to plan their lives in May, June and July doesn't work until its finalised. How can anyone plan their lives months in advance if they are given four random dates.

Three months of planning for one concert. Its comical.

I'll narrow down the dates for you. More than likely it will happen on a weekend

May - 1, 2, 3
    8, 9, 10
    15, 16, 17
    22, 23, 24

June - 5, 6, 7
    12, 13, 14

July - 17, 18, 19

If its one concert, that's 21 possible dates for you and the residents. Its probably on a Saturday, that's 7 possible dates. Can you not see the problem there? Giving the residents 7 possible dates.

If its Ed Sheeran that is planned like it was rumoured, he's in Las Vegas until mid-may.

I'm only guessing it will be on a Saturday as it will sell out more. He's free on May 23, June, 6 & 13, July 18. That's four possible dates. Giving the residents theses 4 dates to plan their lives in May, June and July doesn't work until its finalised. How can anyone plan their lives months in advance if they are given four random dates.

Three months of planning for one concert. Its comical.

No offence, but your uninformed guesswork isn't really a substitute for an informed pointer from those running the gigs. They're in a position to provide actual useful information.

No offence, but your uninformed guesswork isn't really a substitute for an informed pointer from those running the gigs. They're in a position to provide actual useful information.

Take a look at the croke park calendar online.

It won't happen on a match day. Or the day the script plays.

More than likely on a weekend.

Easy peasy.

Take a look at the croke park calendar online.

Easy peasy.

Let us know when you have it narrowed down to the specific week - as in useful information. Not quite so easy peasy.

what happens if they come out tomorrow and give the date?

will the residents start stocking up on canned goods then, or wait a few weeks?
    reminders on their calendar to buy milk 2 days before and stockpile bottled water in case the concert goes on longer than 3 hours and they can't leave home for a few days due to the scourge of Ed Sheeran/Coldplay fans still roaming the streets?
    ringing around for quotes on sound-proofing their homes due to a few extra trucks on the road at midday on the following Monday?

just trying to ascertain why this info is so important now, rather than, say, in a month when the concert is officially announced...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

This is killing me, still no news yet.

Does anyone know what was the whole point of Ed Sheeran's three Wembley gigs? Besides money. I thought I read somewhere that they were the end of his tour.

If so, I don't see it being Ed Sheeran.

The last time I checked his schedule, it looked as if he was finished in Las Vegas in mid May. So he was a possibility for a concert at the end of May or June.

There has been way more dates added to his schedule in the USA and Canada since then, that its impossible to be Ed Sheeran. He has a full schedule in May and June right up until his Wembley gigs in July.

I read somewhere that the whole point of the Wembley gigs was because its meant to be the end of his tour.

There's the week after the Wembley gigs in Croke Park, but will it not take longer than a week to dismantle the stage in Wembley, ship it over and set it up here.

It can't be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is killing me, still no news yet.

Does anyone know what was the whole point of Ed Sheeran's three Wembley gigs? Besides money. I thought I read somewhere that they were the end of his tour.

If so, I don't see it being Ed Sheeran.

The last time I checked his schedule, it looked as if he was finished in Las Vegas in mid May. So he was a possibility for a concert at the end of May or June.

There has been way more dates added to his schedule in the USA and Canada since then, that its impossible to be Ed Sheeran. He has a full schedule in May and June right up until his Wembley gigs in July.

I read somewhere that the whole point of the Wembley gigs was because its meant to be the end of his tour.

There's the week after the Wembley gigs in Croke Park, but will it not take longer than a week to dismantle the stage in Wembley, ship it over and set it up here.

It can't be him.

All big acts who are doing stadium tours use 2, sometimes even 3 stages, for example the artist will play a gig, while he's playing the forward crew will be finishing up the stage for the next show, when he's finished that stage will be dismantled and taken to the next but one(or 2) venue for construction.

As Sheeran is only playing Wembley this rules that out, i'd imagine his stage set up to be very minimalistic, so a 1/2 day breakdown in Wembley, 1 day travelling and 2 to put it back up again

I think at this stage there is no second gig, i got the croke park newsletter recently and the only free time is the week of the script gig (if we go by croke parks own statement that the pitch needs a week after gigs to be playable)

May is open but sheeran is pretty much booked through if it was him.

I think a gig was planned but it fell through and all we'll hear of it from here on in is when someone bumps this thread.

scudzilla wrote: »
    All big acts who are doing stadium tours use 2, sometimes even 3 stages, for example the artist will play a gig, while he's playing the forward crew will be finishing up the stage for the next show, when he's finished that stage will be dismantled and taken to the next but one(or 2) venue for construction.

As Sheeran is only playing Wembley this rules that out, i'd imagine his stage set up to be very minimalistic, so a 1/2 day breakdown in Wembley, 1 day travelling and 2 to put it back up again

I'm only trying to rule him out.

On another note, Garth Brooks's stage is in storage here. That may be some rumour though.

But that croke park stage, well it turns can be moved around and can be used anywhere and not just croke park. GB done an interview last week saying he would like to move that stage around the world with it.

We all know 2 concerts aren't enough for GB, but what are the chances of Limerick and a tour of Ireland similar to what Bruce Springsteen did.

This is killing me, still no news yet

Take a look at the Croke Park calendar online.

Easy peasy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

We all know 2 concerts aren't enough for GB, but what are the chances of Limerick and a tour of Ireland similar to what Bruce Springsteen did.

0%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm only trying to rule him out.

On another note, Garth Brooks's stage is in storage here. That may be some rumour though.

But that croke park stage, well it turns can be moved around and can be used anywhere and not just croke park. GB done an interview last week saying he would like to move that stage around the world with it.

You need to let this go

Sure Garth said he won't be back until we fix the laws of the country to suit him anyway, so he's out.

(although he was never, ever a possibility)

• Advertisement

John_Rambo, any fool can figure out the dates.

Your problem lies with croke park and them not telling the residents their exact runnings of their business.

So far, your posts on this thread hasn't showed any interest in concerts or who it may be, just trying to get a rise out of people. Instead of coming here, how about taking your bitterness somewhere else.

And let the rest of us guess who it may be?

Advertisement