Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another croke park gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pinkman wrote: »
    What a shame. The so called journalist who printed the original story without contacting Aiken should be sacked. And the Indo, RTE and other so called respectable publications should be equally ashamed for spreading the fiction. Peter Aiken should have denied it this morning and not waited till the end of the day.
    wouldn't call the Indo respectable, it's a trashy rag.

anyway:
    - publish nonsense story
    - get thousands of hits on website
    - job done

they'll be quite pleased about this little stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mushy wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily believe the promoter either. They are obviously going to say it's not the band in question, so when the announcement does come, there is still excitement/speculation about the act. Can you imagine if he said 'Yeah, it is Bruce, but it won't be announced till Friday'?

Best way to think of it is trust no source until the gig is officially announced, both sides will have their own interests in wanting to speculate/quell speculation.

Editors in Rolling Stone also rubbishing it

https://twitter.com/greeneandy/status/562992698161131522

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If it's not Bruce, it's Ed Sheeran.. Originally made massive favourite, would make a lot of sense..

(although Mushy makes a fair point, no promoter/Bruces people would leak.it, especially with an imminent announcement as close as Friday)

If it is Ed He'll sell one date alright, the only source for two was the Herald, so that's not even verified..

Sheeran selling Wembley has no basis here though.. As was said before, look at Green Day and the Killers, both sold Wembley easily, couldn't sell modest venues here..

Ed would sell the majority of Croker once though.. SeSecond date.. Not so much..

Really doubt it's coldplay tbh..think they'll play the Aviva or Phoenix if anywhere.. Or even an arena date.. Haven't played Ireland I'in ages. Bit of a risk to put them in Croke Park imo..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Does anyone remember the news a couple of weeks ago, I thought I might be able to get it on the rte player, and get a clip but its weeks old and its gone.

But it was Peter McKenna of Croke Park saying something that they're working with the residents, its ongoing, and they would like to see Garth Brooks back to play croke park.

Could that have been an early hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Does anyone remember the news a couple of weeks ago, I thought I might be able to get it on the rte player, and get a clip but its weeks old and its gone.

But it was Peter McKenna of Croke Park saying something that they're working with the residents, its ongoing, and they would like to see Garth Brooks back to play croke park.

HA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

qKEhki3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If it's Garth Brooks i will upload a video of me eating a cowboy hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

karaokeman wrote: »
    But he wouldn't have to deny it either. What if Aiken's response was "Well you never know...", just to tease people if Bruce was likely. On the other hand you always hear about key informants refusing to either confirm or deny. There's always a third way.

He wouldn't, that is true. The calls were loud though, so something was needed to be said. Andy Copping, the Download festival organiser is a prime example of why not to believe a promoter (he said an early poster this year was fake...it was posted by a member of a headlining band, promoter still denied it. Oddly enough it happened twice before announcement haha).

The Rolling Stone dude would be most reliable, no vested interests that we know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

No way would Aikens publicly deny it if it was happening as that effectively rules him out.

If I was planning a holiday or something else for that week I'd book it now thinking it's going to be Ed Sheeran or someone equally uninteresting. If it turned out Aikens was lying then I'd be raging.

He would just have said nothing, left it open.

It's not Bruce.

EyesClosed wrote: »
    HA

I know, I can wish

As long as one heart still holds on
    Then hope is never really gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'm gonna be the bigger man and take the credit/blame for the herald or whoever picking up on my comment about Bruce on here yesterday morning.

I'm gonna be the bigger man and take the credit/blame for the herald or whoever picking up on my comment about Bruce on here yesterday morning.

That was a fun rumour, bet the guy who put a 5 figure sum bet on Ed Sheeran was sorry then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ed Sheerin instead of Bruce would be like drinking rusty razorblades when they are all out of Guinness.

If that was it and I wouldn't put it past the laziness of the herald/indo, it was a great troll in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If it's Garth Brooks i will upload a video of me eating a cowboy hat.

Quoting this for future reference, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

When is it going to be announced does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Frog Song wrote: »

Tomorrow apparently!

Frog Song wrote: »

I thought i heard Friday but i think that may be a rumour. There's nothing from Aiken or MCD about the croke park concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭bren2001

I thought i heard Friday but i think that may be a rumour. There's nothing from Aiken or MCD about the croke park concert.

Unlikely to be tomorrow. We would have heard about a press conference planned for tomorrow by now. Journalists and the likes do need to plan a day in advance for this stuff.

I think if any promoter were to look at this thread and the way it took off when Bruce Springsteen's name was mentioned and now the way it has ground to a halt since he was ruled out and that it's probably back to Ed Sheeran again they should realise they have made a huge mistake.

• Advertisement

I think if any promoter were to look at this thread and the way it took off when Bruce Springsteen's name was mentioned and now the way it has ground to a halt since he was ruled out and that it's probably back to Ed Sheeran again they should realise they have made a huge mistake.

Because one cross section of society who post on boards.ie don't like Ed Sheeran? Ridiculous argument. All they care about is the stadium selling well and making a big profit. I'm sure Ed will do that for them.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Because one cross section of society who post on boards.ie don't like Ed Sheeran? Ridiculous argument. All they care about is the stadium selling well and making a big profit. I'm sure Ed will do that for them.

So you're saying there are more Bruce Springsteen fans on Boards than Ed Sheeran fans?
    Ridiculous statement.

So you're saying there are more Bruce Springsteen fans on Boards than Ed Sheeran fans?
    Ridiculous statement.

How? The Springsteen topic has been active for 3 1/2 years now, the last ed sheeran one was 2 pages long.

Ridiculous statement.

Show me where I said that. Don't put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Metallica?.. As date 2 after Ed
    Playing reading and Leeds, which is ran by Festival Republic, who own MCD..

Seen them being mentioned a bit as a genuine contender today..
    Would certainky be big enough, and would sell, epecially if a decent support were added
    Certainly as, if not more likely than Coldplay!

bennyl10 wrote: »

Would certainky be big enough, and would sell, epecially if a decent support were added

I love Metallica, but 80,000 tickets? I would be beyond shocked at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ridiculous statement.

If there wasn't I'd be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not a hope, they were well off selling Marley Park last time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not a hope Metallica wouldn't do 3 gigs on the trot or be big enough.

A fan of theirs but their previous outdoor gigs here ranged around 20-30 thousand attendees, given they haven't toured here in a while possible they might stretch the Aviva, GAA heads allowing 80,000 metallers run amok would love to see the day but it's a non runner I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Not a hope Metallica wouldn't do 3 gigs on the trot or be big enough.

A fan of theirs but their previous outdoor gigs here ranged around 20-30 thousand attendees, given they haven't toured here in a while possible they might stretch the Aviva, GAA heads allowing 80,000 metallers run amok would love to see the day but it's a non runner afraid.

That would be brilliant craic for the residents, honestly I'd love it for that reason alone

Advertisement