Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Extension & Renovation, Cork

Options
  • 02-02-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure for some work we would like to do on our house. We would like to extend at the back (roughly 8ft x 20ft), knock through between the two rooms at the back of the house, and open these up also to the new build extension. Furthermore we would like to convert our garage (I would estimate 10ft x 30ft).

I know there can be a huge variation in price depending on finish and site specifics, but in general to a decent standard, how much would we be looking at? We just need somewhere to start so we can gauge if we're being realistic or not.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

FionaBeag wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure for some work we would like to do on our house. We would like to extend at the back (roughly 8ft x 20ft), knock through between the two rooms at the back of the house, and open these up also to the new build extension. Furthermore we would like to convert our garage (I would estimate 10ft x 30ft).

I know there can be a huge variation in price depending on finish and site specifics, but in general to a decent standard, how much would we be looking at? We just need somewhere to start so we can gauge if we're being realistic or not.

Thanks!

8 x 20 say 15m2
    30k very approx, subject to soo many factors starting with access, structural requirements, ground conditions, ground services. Don't forget this figure has to allow for builder prelims, removals, insurances etc

Garage 10 x 30 say 30m2 - allow 30k assuming it connected to the house? And no big structural works or windows are required. is access to the rear through the garage?

What gets people everytime (adding costs) is the little changes made to the existing home, as part of the renovations: boiler/ heating/electrics, flooring/finishes, kitchen/utility, insulation/air-tightness/ventilation/sound.

When renovating at this small scale allow 15/20% contingency for the 'unknown unknown'

Advertisement