Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Reopening Saturday February 7th

• 02-02-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for those interested.

Sundrive Track is scheduled to reopen for training this Saturday the 7th of February, assuming the weather is ok. Most of the information is here, but I'll add it below for convenience.

Senior Training is on from 10am - 12pm
    Youth Training is on from 12pm - 2pm

Important Dates

The first accreditation session happens on February 14th and is a 2 stage/2 week process where you do your first accreditation session, then show up for 1 more training session to be evaluated and accredited.

Full Track Calendar here: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?post_type=tribe_events

Main Track Events for 2015 here: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?p=1466

Summer League is scheduled to start back on April 29th.

Important Information

Training fees are €5 per session, or €30 for the season for adults.
    Training fees are €3 per session, or €20 for the season for youths/students/unwaged.

Accreditation session fees cost €10 for Adults, and €5 for youths/students/unwaged.

Bike Hire

*Hire Bikes are using Look Keo Pedals from now on, not Look Delta - so just something to be aware of for your cleat setup*

Cost of bike hire per session is €5 for adults, and €2 for youths/students/unwaged.

I think that's the most essential information, but more information is available here: http://www.trackcycling.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume you can but want to check, if you were on the track all of last year, can you attend the first training on the 7th of February? Seeing as the accreditation is starting the week after or is it myself misreading it and there is no training on the 7th?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone with accreditation from last year or earlier, provided they have been to the track training/racing over the past few years (I think it's 2, but stand to be corrected) retain their accreditation and can turn up on Saturday. Anyone who's not been to the track fro a few years should check, but will probably need to do at least one (possibly both) legs of the accreditation process. Anyone who has not been accredited are going to have to wait until the 14th to start the process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Yeah Cram, I plan on going on the 7th for training - so it's my understanding that you (and I) will be fine from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's youth training at the track tomorrow from 12-2. It says new riders will be accepted in the first two weeks of any month, but would I be OK to bring an U12 along to this who has never been on track before (no accreditation etc.)?

Plastik wrote: »
    There's youth training at the track tomorrow from 12-2. It says new riders will be accepted in the first two weeks of any month, but would I be OK to bring an U12 along to this who has never been on track before (no accreditation etc.)?

That's actually something I saw and wasn't too sure about, as it is somewhat conflicting.

My understanding is that you would need to wait until February 14th to bring the U12 along to get accreditation - as that is the first day for accreditation.
    I think the 1st of the 2 accreditation sessions for both adults and youths, takes place during the youth training.

However, the part about the first 2 weeks makes it seem that tomorrow would be fine to bring the U12 along. Let me see if I can get in touch with someone for clarification.

• Advertisement

I would drop a message through the trackcycling.ie site as they are normally quite quick at responding.

On these dates New U10/12/U14 riders will be accomodated during the youth Session at 12.30. Apart from Accreditation dates we will accept new youth riders during the first two weeks of the month at any youth specific sessionAccreditation Costs at Sundrive

Just found that on the site. The on these dates would refer to the official accreditation dates, so Feb 14th, but from the second line sounds like it would be fine to bring him along.

Just found that on the site. The on these dates would refer to the official accreditation dates, so Feb 14th, but from the second line sounds like it would be fine to bring him along.

It should be, but if you've far to travel then just drop them an email and ask.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So excited! Can't wait :D
    It'll be my first time back since the spill, so nervous but mainly concentrating on excitement!

In other news I commuted on the track bike today. Scared the bejesus out of me. I'm more nervous about commuting to track tomorrow than actually training :eek:

If anyone's heading up the n11/canal to track to training tomorrow morning and fancy a scaredy companion let me know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

gadetra wrote: »
    So excited! Can't wait :D
    It'll be my first time back since the spill, so nervous but mainly concentrating on excitement!

In other news I commuted on the track bike today. Scared the bejesus out of me. I'm more nervous about commuting to track tomorrow than actually training :eek:

If anyone's heading up the n11/canal to track to training tomorrow morning and fancy a scaredy companion let me know ;)

Great you're back on the bike. Riding brakeless?

I'll be training indoors tomorrow, will be thinking of you guys while I'm enjoying the 25C heat.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Great you're back on the bike. Riding brakeless?

I'll be training indoors tomorrow, will be thinking of you guys while I'm enjoying the 25C heat.

Nah H gave me a Goldfinger on the front so working with that. I may have left a bit too much de-greaser on the rims post cleaning…it's gonna be a thigh burning commute home!

25C heat? *green with envy* Sure that's way too warm, you'll boil, at least share a bit sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

told our youth guys who wanted to turn up and race that they would have to do accreditation. They were not impressed I assume they will be even less impressed that they'll have to travel twice from donegal - is that correct ?

told our youth guys who wanted to turn up and race that they would have to do accreditation. They were not impressed I assume they will be even less impressed that they'll have to travel twice from donegal - is that correct ?

You have to have done accreditation to race on track, it's essential. I know a group from Errigal CC had a camp and did accreditation in the morning and trained on a saturday (or was it Monday?) and raced Wednesday evening, they were down for the week though now that I think of it.

Accreditation is a two part process, so it's not just a case of doing accreditation then racing, you have to do a couple of training session to be passed. Maybe ring and see if you can sort something out over a couple of days like the young women from Errigal?

Nah H gave me a Goldfinger on the front so working with that. I may have left a bit too much de-greaser on the rims post cleaning…it's gonna be a thigh burning commute home!

25C heat? *green with envy* Sure that's way too warm, you'll boil, at least share a bit sure :pac:

I love the heat. It gets cranked up to 30+ for racing.

It's fine with a brake (used my old bike commuting and never really used the brake to be honest, also ran a smaller gear), you'll get used to it. It's fun.

Still not crazy about brakeless riding myself even though it's 10 minutes. No choice now as no braking surface on rims and fork isn't drilled.

nak wrote: »
    I love the heat. It gets cranked up to 30+ for racing.

It's fine with a brake (used my old bike commuting and never really used the brake to be honest, also ran a smaller gear), you'll get used to it. It's fun.

Still not crazy about brakeless riding myself even though it's 10 minutes. No choice now as no braking surface on rims and fork isn't drilled.

Yeah you're right, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I have my race gear on so I think it'll be much less scary with a smaller gear on!

It's only twice if they don't plan on doing any of the training sessions. The 1st is a stand alone accreditation, but the 2nd is just a standard training session.

If they don't plan on doing any of the training sessions and just want to race, then yeah, it will be 2 trips.

Yeah you're right, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I have my race gear on so I think it'll be much less scary with a smaller gear on!

I used to run a 48 with a 15 on one side and 18 on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

As always with any of these queries, they should be directed at the Track Cycling Commission. Nobody here can guarantee a 100% correct answer as we're not on the Commission. Arrange a camp for them

Youth riders are always encouraged to do more than the accreditation, to at least do a few training sessions. It's not about racing proficiency it's about safety. For example, have any of them even ridden fixed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Might be a stupid question but is this a good time and place to start track cycling? I see myself as a half decent cyclist, not in club at the moment but been commuting on track bike for years. Live beside sundrive and was thinking of giving it a go.

mal1 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but is this a good time and place to start track cycling? I see myself as a half decent cyclist, not in club at the moment but been commuting on track bike for years. Live beside sundrive and was thinking of giving it a go.

Yes, season only just starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Quick question for the ladies - A friend of mine's daughter races, but she is doing the inter/junior/whatever cert this year and was wondering if there are any ladies only accreditation days coming up. I was talking to Caroline and she said there might be. Wondering if anyone has any more info.

In other news, my biek should be in the shop tomorrow, but I cant pick it up till next week. Grrrr

Usually notified here? http://womenscycling.ie/

lennymc wrote: »
    Quick question for the ladies - A friend of mine's daughter races, but she is doing the inter/junior/whatever cert this year and was wondering if there are any ladies only accreditation days coming up. I was talking to Caroline and she said there might be. Wondering if anyone has any more info.

In other news, my biek should be in the shop tomorrow, but I cant pick it up till next week. Grrrr

11th April on track cycling.ie

There's a ladies only track day too on the 24 th of may too, she'll need accreditation for that.

There's a nice few juniors about, mainly racing, she won't be stuck for company anyway!

thanks for the info. I will pass it on.

I got no reply from either the email contact on the website or from the Facebook page re an unaccredited youth turning up for the youth training, but as we assumed earlier in the thread there was no problem with him signing on and riding.

I got no reply from either the email contact on the website or from the Facebook page re an unaccredited youth turning up for the youth training, but as we assumed earlier in the thread there was no problem with him signing on and riding.

The parties involved were away racing in The Netherlands at the weekend. That may have been why you didn't get a reply. As has been said before, there's a very small number of people who take on the admin etc of the track, so sometimes there are glitches. Hope they enjoyed themselves on Saturday.

Do you need a Cycling Ireland membership/license to do the accreditation? Their website hasn't been working for me for the last week so I'm lacking in that department.

Do you need a Cycling Ireland membership/license to do the accreditation? Their website hasn't been working for me for the last week so I'm lacking in that department.

As far as I know but a one day license might be possible, they have had training days in years gone by for the college league and only half of us had licences, so it used to be possible. You would need a minimum of a limited license to ride track outside of training/accreditation.

• Advertisement

I did accreditation part 1 without a license last year but you need at least a training license to do the following training sessions to become accredited.

Cheers. I'll call down either way and see what they said. I don't have far to travel.

On a separate note the new hire bikes are super sexy.

An embarrassing large part of me feels sorry for the old ones though :o

On a separate note the new hire bikes are super sexy.

An embarrassing large part of me feels sorry for the old ones though :o

What did they get?

CramCycle wrote: »
    What did they get?

All new per-cursa's, lime green black finishing kit. They look way hotter than they sound! There are 30 of them! They're getting spread put but I think 20 are staying at sundrive.

Sadly Geoffrey is going to Belfast :(. I gave him a big goodbye hug and pat. He's excited about the move. It was a sad day :pac:

Please contact the track commission re questions like these: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?page_id=12

No-one here is on the commission and can only give you a rough idea of what they did the year they started, not a definitive answer.

• Advertisement

All new per-cursa's, lime green black finishing kit. They look way hotter than they sound! There are 30 of them! They're getting spread put but I think 20 are staying at sundrive.

Sadly Geoffrey is going to Belfast :(. I gave him a big goodbye hug and pat. He's excited about the move. It was a sad day :pac:

Orangefield is where bikes go to die.

Please contact the track commission re questions like these: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?page_id=12

No-one here is on the commission and can only give you a rough idea of what they did the year they started, not a definitive answer.

I understand but I was planning on going down tomorrow and I didn't expect an answer so soon from trackcycling. I really wasn't expecting a definitive answer from here. Anyway, it's not far from where i live so I'll go down and talk to them in person.

Orangefield is where bikes go to die.

Noooooooooo. Is there no way to save him? Oh no :( What do they do? Surely his frame will survive? What do they do to them when they don't use them anymore? Aww no poor Geoffrey *sniff*:(

(plots very specific bike rescue *cough* :cool:)

Good luck Sunday by the way :D

I understand but I was planning on going down tomorrow and I didn't expect an answer so soon from trackcycling. I really wasn't expecting a definitive answer from here. Anyway, it's not far from where i live so I'll go down and talk to them in person.

Yes , that'd be your best bet. Bring your gear as though you will be allowed ride though, they're always understanding of these situations or will explain why they can't allow you up.

Noooooooooo. Is there no way to save him? Oh no :( What do they do? Surely his frame will survive? What do they do to them when they don't use them anymore? Aww no poor Geoffrey *sniff*:(

(plots very specific bike rescue *cough* :cool:)

Good luck Sunday by the way :D

It's just a crap track (from what I hear). He'll be fine I'd say. I was just being dramatic.

Thanks, we'll see what happens. Hopefully the training/racing in The Netherlands last week will help.

• Advertisement

Would Orangefield be a closer track for accreditationn for the Donegal youths?

Maybe, but they'd be better off doing it in Sundrive. Look up photos of Orangefield and you'll see what I mean.

I did the accreditation this morning on the new green bikes. Very smooth. A massive mix of abilities there. Not easy for coaching but they did a good job.

Got my first day back out yesterday, legs are a little behind last year but it was good to be out. New bikes are nice.

Nice to see Beasty out on the bike again, wearing the fanciest helmet I have ever seen. Also extremely jealous of Gadetras Fuji, very nice looking. Inspired to start training properly this year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Heard a doyen of the Irish track cycling community was asking who Cram was - obviously an impressive start to training this year;)

My back was playing up after all those efforts to chase down groups on the other side of the track. Having said that, and looking at the power records, I can't complain for what was my first "serious" track efforts in 16 months or so

I have it on good authority that steel red Fuji's are the best bikes you can buy ;) (Rosa is, rather exotically in no way at all, chromoly).

Twas great to see Beasty and his sexy Cervelo too.

I was mega grumpy yesterday. I shall be markedly less grumpy from now on!

im hoping to get out this saturday - is anyone i know around?

If I can find someone to mind child I'll be racing Mick Lally, otherwise may be there.

I'll be there, although I only know you digitally! I'm going for the Derney session and if I'm still alive I'll do regular training after.

pop over and say hello gadetra - ill be in drogheda wheelers gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement