Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Reopening Saturday February 7th

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I race on them, solid and smooth. There are lighter and better but they do the job nicely IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i missed last weekend, but think I will be there this saturday. Looking forward to it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    i missed last weekend, but think I will be there this saturday. Looking forward to it.

So it's confirmed lenny - you're not doing the Stamullen race and have effectively retired from road racing while you turn your destructive tendencies to the track....:pac:

Last Saturday we all bust a gut in the warm-up then got chastised at the suggestion we may put some effort into out team pursuit practice - never trust a Yorkshireman I say - not one that's coaching anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Should be down Saturday morning, have no interest in an a1/2/3/4/jun handicap in ardcath, and not much interest in the a3/jun stamullen gp....I'm following Lenny's lead!

Beasty wrote: »
    So it's confirmed lenny - you're not doing the Stamullen race and have effectively retired from road racing while you turn your destructive tendencies to the track....:pac:

Last Saturday we all bust a gut in the warm-up then got chastised at the suggestion we may put some effort into out team pursuit practice - never trust a Yorkshireman I say - not one that's coaching anyway

It's a forced retirement - i was hoping to make a triumphant return to RR this week in the Dundalk league, but the races have been postponed. I was also hoping to get to Mondello on Tuesday but instead I am going to a marshal briefing on Thursday for the Drogheda races. Have something else on Wednesday, so three nights in a row would have been quite unfair on my main sponsor. I am looking forward to getting back to RR. Any word from the vets? Are the TTs still going ahead? (slightly OT)

That was fun. Thanks to beasty for the lead out. I really enjoyed the blob racing aswell!

Did I hear someone say that the league starts in about 3 weeks?

Haha blob racing, that made me chuckle!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I took great pleasure in directing the following at certain riders "Blob-up Mr Blobby" (had to get my retaliation in first:p)

That was a pretty decent session, despite the wind.

League starts 2 weeks on Wednesday lenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Blob racing was the business! Have a ways to go to get comfy in a bunch. Or blob. I feel my old technique of racing around the outside may not be the way forward…I need to become one with the blob. Ohm.
    The out of the saddle work was good too.

Hoping to get the brave pants by the Autumn league!

Colm_gti gets the award for being an animal for doing both the Derney and the session after. Fast. We need an 'Animal' group in the league!

Has to be asked, what is blob racing?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Being in a bunch, moving around, then sprinting, re-blobbing, sprinting, re-blobbing etc. Blob-sprint-blob. It was fun.

He does another blobby session where it remains as one group (now known as a blob) and the whistle blows in relation to the finish line and the group/blob has to go faster or slower depending on whether the whistle is before or after the line. It's a war of attrition!

gadetra wrote: »
    We need an 'Animal' group in the league!
    So long as Beasty's are exempt....
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Paddy Davis was coach and towards the end he got the group (of getting on for 20) to do a lap together then treat the next lap as a race. After that second lap everyone had to re-group in a "blob" before doing the same again 2 laps later. It was good to get into a largish group all over the track at pace, mimicking a real race situation without dropping anyone.

So long as Beasty's are exempt....

Beasty's are exempt! :pac::P

Thanks to beasty for the lead out.
    Just been looking at the data lenny.

First time I was leading you out I started at 114w/28kph. Within 5 seconds I had upped it to 437w/32kph. Another 5 and it was 600w/35.7kph. Then we had the wind behind us. At 15s it was 664w/39.1kph and at 20s 703w/43.1kph. I "released" you at about 25s, 745w/47.4kph (overall average 581w over 25s), so I think it worked very well that time with me upping the power and speed throughout the leadout

My top speed when you were leading me out was only 47.7 and I only got up to 713w, although I guess the "sprint" was back into the headwind (averaged 547w over 45s)

images_zpsuiok87jb.jpeg

:P

Haha, the sun was out and I was already there, would have been rude to not hang around for the 10am session, I was glad of switching to the lighter gear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

colm_gti wrote: »
    I was glad of switching to the lighter gear though!

I've always been curious, what size gears do people use for the derny sessions?

I've always been curious, what size gears do people use for the derny sessions?

I tend to use whatever I ride a scratch race on, some people size down to work on cadence, and some people size up for....some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I was thinking about this after our chatting about it on Saturday and I started to wonder if it was a kind of "work on fitness first, then strength" plan?

• Advertisement

Just been looking at the data lenny.

First time I was leading you out I started at 114w/28kph. Within 5 seconds I had upped it to 437w/32kph. Another 5 and it was 600w/35.7kph. Then we had the wind behind us. At 15s it was 664w/39.1kph and at 20s 703w/43.1kph. I "released" you at about 25s, 745w/47.4kph (overall average 581w over 25s), so I think it worked very well that time with me upping the power and speed throughout the leadout

My top speed when you were leading me out was only 47.7 and I only got up to 713w, although I guess the "sprint" was back into the headwind (averaged 547w over 45s)

Yeah - it was a grand lead out. thanks for the numbers. The headwind was tough alright.

Yeah - it was a grand lead out. thanks for the numbers. The headwind was tough alright.

You had me under pressure in one of those races Lenny, could see you holding ground out of the corner of my eye!

colm_gti wrote: »
    You had me under pressure in one of those races Lenny, could see you holding ground out of the corner of my eye!

I considered proper sprinting, but decided to call you every name under the sun instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I asked here about Miche Xpress wheels recently. In the end, i saw a cheap pair of Miche picard and bought them. Forgot to notice that the hub is single sided. Do you think I should have gone for a double sided hub for convenience? I have the option of return.

http://www.wiggle.com/miche-pistard-wr-track-bike-wheelset/

No, you won't be allowed to run a sprocket on the opposite side during races anyway, or at least you can't on other tracks, not sure how lenient commissars are in Sundrive....maybe someone else can comment.

But unless you plan on changing gears frequently, just keep them and order a lockring tool and chainwhip.

Get the Miche gears, quickest to change, no faffing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I've always had two rear sprockets on my wheel (fixed/fixed) and have never been called up on it, I didn't even know two cogs weren't allowed on some tracks. I like double sided wheels just because it means I can avoid fiddling around with chainwhips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Cheers. Just have no idea in regards racing. I absolutely didn't know that there are restrictions in having two sprockets fitted on some tracks.

I went to the training on Saturday last and struggled in the pursuit at the end. Felt really tired and was at my limit in terms of spinning. It's good to have a knock on the confidence the odd time.

Most UK tracks will pick you up on having 2 cogs on. It's the same with computers - particularly if they protrude forward of the bars. They also tend to have limits on gearing and crank length for training and taster sessions, although they will rarely check in my experience. Would imagine a similar approach if and when we get an indoor track over here

Most at Sundrive run double sided. Not an issue.

One sided is not a big deal really. It'd be easier to have a 14 on one side and 15 on the other but... Not sure if it's worth returning them for that benefit. Am not a fan of the Miche cog system myself. Used it for a year and sold it all off. But I this instance I think Cram may be right.

Most at Sundrive run double sided. Not an issue.
    I have being running double sidedfor ages and no one has said a word. The other side is my get me home cog.
    Am not a fan of the Miche cog system myself. Used it for a year and sold it all off. But I this instance I think Cram may be right.

Sold it too me, have to say, I like it but it's a personal choice. I have a choice of 17, 16, 15, 14 without alot of messing but thats just me

• Advertisement

Double sided here too. I have both systems, one on each side.

Not that it matters as I never change my gear :o

Double sided here too. I have both systems, one on each side.

Not that it matters as I never change my gear :o

Yeah, I never change it either but I think I'll experiment a little during the league this year tbh. I spent the last three years doing almost everything in 50x15, which ultimately doesn't make sense considering the various disciplines.

Also... League starts a week today!

Also... League starts a week today!

I know Yeahie! Whoop whoop! Except that I'll miss the first one waaaaaaaa :(:(:(:( boo. Corkagh next week it is again :(

I thought is was May starting for some reason, doh. Good luck on Wednesday people!

Ah god I'm so excited for track league to start, its almost 8 months since I pushed the pedals of my track bike in anger! I'm ready to race now!

due to a miscommunication between me and wifey, I don't think I can do Wednesdays :(

I know Yeahie! Whoop whoop! Except that I'll miss the first one waaaaaaaa :(:(:(:( boo. Corkagh next week it is again :(

I thought is was May starting for some reason, doh. Good luck on Wednesday people!

It usually is May.

Corkagh will do you fine. A few more wins before hitting track will do you good.

It usually is May.

Corkagh will do you fine. A few more wins before hitting track will do you good.

Last night was lucky. More wins may be stretching it!

Can't wait till Wednesday week, I expect full reports on next wednesday's racing!

It looks like I'll be one of the commie satires tomorrow so no racing for me, just watching shouting a lot. I can try and answer questions though for anyone who is?

It looks like I'll be one of the commie satires tomorrow so no racing for me, just watching shouting a lot. I can try and answer questions though for anyone who is?

And no matter what happens on the first night, I will expect to see you with a little red book, doing stand up from the côte d'azur.

• Advertisement

just watching shouting a lot
    Thank Christ I'm struggling with my hearing at present
    I can try and answer questions though for anyone who is?
    More of a statement than a question:P - I will still be in in Group C, won't I?????

Best of good luck tomorrow people! I'm so pissed I'll miss it.

Oh and Harry, the night you and E did the league last year was the calmest night of both leagues!

I propose a new league specific thread :D

Best of good luck tomorrow people! I'm so pissed I'll miss it.

Oh and Harry, the night you and E did the league last year was the calmest night of both leagues!

I propose a new league specific thread :D

Hopefully I and the others can repeat that tonight. I'm gonna open another thread now.

Just to be clear, I'm not a proper commissaire, just refering to the fact that I'll be helping out on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I had a look on the trackcycling website and this was the best link I could find. As far as I can see it's a show up with your track accreditation and license on the first night and you can race. Is that correct? Do you have to sign up or pay someone beforehand?

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I had a look on the trackcycling website and this was the best link I could find. As far as I can see it's a show up with your track accreditation and license on the first night and you can race. Is that correct? Do you have to sign up or pay someone beforehand?

There is a fee either per night or for the season, I think it is 5 euro per night or 30euro for the season at sign on. There are reduced rates for students and the unemployed.

Cram is correct. I've started a new thread re racing btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Cram is correct. I've started a new thread re racing btw.

Thanks.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Did you race last season? Think there's a limit (possibly 2 years) when you need to actually use your accreditation or may be required to do a refresher (which may just be a normal training session, so long as you let the coach know)

On the fees - last year I think it was a tenner a night or €30 for each league - ie €60 if you do both the Summer and Autumn leagues. No idea whether they are increasing that at all though

Did you race last season? Think there's a limit (possibly 2 years) when you need to actually use your accreditation or may be required to do a refresher (which may just be a normal training session, so long as you let the coach know)

On the fees - last year I think it was a tenner a night or €30 for each league - ie €60 if you do both the Summer and Autumn leagues. No idea whether they are increasing that at all though

Fees listed on the racing thread now and are available on the trackcycling.ie site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement