Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to plant shrubs here

• 02-02-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

looking for a bit of help. I want to plant a shrub bed at the edge of the lawn near this peer. What is the prep I need to do. Lift the sod etc. any help appreciated

E4B5744B-6CEB-49AD-9822-598067AE3C61.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends a bit on what kind of shrubs you want to plant, and how much space you want to take up. If you cut a narrow strip of sods out of the edge you will very likely find the shrubs going over onto the drive and creating a lot of mess, moss, and potential weed growth on the edge of the tarmac. If you want a few taller shrubs I would cut out individual planting holes leaving a tidy space around each shrub. You can let the grass grow up to the shrub but you will need to take care with cutting. If you want a larger shrub bed then you will need to strip the sod, put in a few bags of topsoil and plant your shrubs, finish with a weed membrane and some sort of mulch/ bark chips. I am not a great enthusiast for membrane tbh as it hords bindweed, comes loose and the smooth surface means the mulch blows off it. A good bit of ground cover planting and some weeding seems to e the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

That laurel hedge will probably smother any shrub you plant in that corner. Honestly, it looks like it's planted too close to the footpath and will encroach on it within a few years.

I seem to be all bad news on Monday's....

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

I could just trim it

What's the difference between the membrane and weeding seems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can put down membrane, but I was saying that the best solution would seem to me to be ground cover plants, along with weeding.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    You can put down membrane, but I was saying that the best solution would seem to me to be ground cover plants, along with weeding.

What sort would you recommend?

Advertisement