Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help. My Saab is dying...

• 02-02-2015 3:34pm

Have a 04 Saab 9-3. Have it about 9 years now and really like it.

But it seems to be dying. Still looks great, engine seems great, but the gadgetry and electronic stuff starting to fall apart. In recent months...

The heater won't work so...
    ...car constantly cold and wet and mould appearing on seats and belts
    A warning about the steering lock is flashing
    The drivers window won't open
    The drivers seatbelt won't recoil
    Central locking won't work (that might be just a battery in key)
    There is some red light telling me about some airbag problem
    etc. etc. etc.

Have taken it to a few mechanics, and they do their best but as soon as one issue addressed it seems that something else goes. Is there one place in the sw, or anywhere, where it could be dropped in and assessed and all the problems dealt with, or at least a quote for all of it? While the basics are good, it is getting to the stage where I'm thinking that the repairs might cost more than the car is worth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Welcome to long term car ownership, either sell or get tooled up and get on to the scrap yards, to buy up the parts and replace yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Conor74 wrote: »
    Have a 04 Saab 9-3. Have it about 9 years now and really like it.

But it seems to be dying. Still looks great, engine seems great, but the gadgetry and electronic stuff starting to fall apart. In recent months...

The heater won't work so...
    ...car constantly cold and wet and mould appearing on seats and belts
    A warning about the steering lock is flashing
    The drivers window won't open
    The drivers seatbelt won't recoil
    Central locking won't work (that might be just a battery in key)
    There is some red light telling me about some airbag problem
    etc. etc. etc.

Have taken it to a few mechanics, and they do their best but as soon as one issue addressed it seems that something else goes. Is there one place in the sw, or anywhere, where it could be dropped in and assessed and all the problems dealt with, or at least a quote for all of it? While the basics are good, it is getting to the stage where I'm thinking that the repairs might cost more than the car is worth.

Pm'd you there, they all sound like common enough 9-3 niggles, most of the ones I've been around have had at least one of them, nothing a good diagnostic set can't fix and someone who knows the car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Have a 9-3 myself, same age and have had some of those niggly issues you have like the drivers side window not opening, steering lock warning light flashing etc so you are not alone. I have a good indy based in Inchicore that knows his way around these cars and have been very helpful and has resolved these issues for me relatively cheaply . I can pass on details if you wish. That said with a car of this age and build quality not everything is going to be perfect.

Advertisement