Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

The best of luck for Monday Anna. I'm sure you'll do great and achieve your target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best on Monday Anna, have a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Jaysus we're starting the weekend good lucks early this time round :D

Have another one Anna !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Jaysus we're starting the weekend good lucks early this time round :D

Have another one Anna !

I know, really.... another what... glass of wine? :D oh wait, not allowed... till Monday!

Friday, May 29: 33 mins easy
    5.5K @ 6:00/km; 3.4 mi @ 9:39/mi

taper, taper, taper... makes your legs feel very sluggish...managed to avoid the hailstones on this one (hailstones, wtf?), caught up with LauraAc, who was run-muting home along the seafront and kept her company for a few minutes. Couldn't persuade her to come to Cork as my personal pacer, very selfish of her :rolleyes:. Left Laura and turned back into the wind, and promptly met Mrs Mc who is looking forward to the Women's Mini Cocktails on Monday :p.

The weather is supposed to be sh!te on Monday.. that's an actual quote from Met Eireann, maybe I should have included some hailstone training today, but at least I know I've done enough bloody wind training!

another easy couple of miles tomorrow I think and that's it...

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Monday Anna :)
    Is it Monday? Good luck Anna, I'm sure you'll hit that goal, the training has been very consistent.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    All the best Anna hope all the training comes together for you and you have a great run Monday.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Yes, the very best of luck! and above all I hope you enjoy it :-)
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Best of luck Anna.
    Runchick wrote: »
    No partying in the Murph household this weekend I assume!! No doubt you'll both be celebrating come Monday evening :) Best of luck
    RedRunner wrote: »
    The best of luck for Monday Anna. I'm sure you'll do great and achieve your target.
    tang1 wrote: »
    All the best on Monday Anna, have a great race.

Thanks all and we will definitely be celebrating on Monday evening, no matter what! :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    +1 to all the good wishes.
    Just remember the man from the park in your ear if you're struggling....."You're going well" ;)

:pac: good suggestion... hope to see you after!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    And don't forget that P will be in the crowd to tell how $h1t you looked afterwards cheer you on :D

:pac::pac: I'd say the weather will be too bad for supporters... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

annapr wrote: »
    :pac::pac: I'd say the weather will be too bad for supporters... :eek:

I think Anna just called you a wuss, P :p

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I think Anna just called you a wuss, P :p

Would ya stop stirring it, M!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I see you ended up volunteering in the end today! Good to see you yesterday, I was lost in my own world and listening to my music - I hope you weren't hollering at me for long. Enjoy the trip to cork and the very best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck tomorrow - have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a great race tomorrow Anna ! Don't leave anything out there and enjoy every minute (all 115 or less of them :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope you have a great race tomorrow Anna, enjoy the day.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Anna

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow Anna, hope it goes well for you. I'm sure it will, you've done some great training recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Have a great run tomorrow missus, enjoy and don't forget your wand ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote:
    Have a great run tomorrow missus, enjoy and don't forget your wand

I think a hat would be best if weather as bad as reported for rain.
    Anna, have a great race. Positive, happy thoughts for the race on the joy when you cross the finish.

aquinn wrote: »
    I think a hat would be best if weather as bad as reported for rain.
    Anna, have a great race. Positive, happy thoughts for the race on the joy when you cross the finish.

Thanks A, I'll be thinking of you sipping your vino in Italia as I battle the gales :D

Thanks A, I'll be thinking of you sipping your vino in Italia as I battle the gales :D

Your a Donegal woman, toughen up, the wind in Cork is a mear zephyr compared to the Hills!!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, we made it to the banks of the Lee anyway... registered in good time. Only mishap so far is that I managed to leave registration without a race number... luckily I noticed before it closed, and am only 5 mins away, so the very helpful people are sorting it out for me, but no number yet!

Murph helpfully pointed out that I probably dropped it... I insist they never gave it to me... :p

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Your a Donegal woman, toughen up, the wind in Cork is a mear zephyr compared to the Hills!!

I'm just getting my excuses in early... ;)

I'm just getting my excuses in early... ;)

No excuses. Just get on with it ;) ....and of course ENJOY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best tomorrow! Have a gud un:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck tomorrow Anna - hope yourself and Murph have a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

Sandbagger, great running Anna. Enjoy the celebratory drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Woo Hoo!! Absolutely SUPER time Anna!!!
    Enjoy the party!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Woo hoo. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well Done Anna, well deserved. Enjoy the 'recovery' drinks!

• Advertisement

Nice one, Anna. FairPlay. Well deserved.

Well, looks like this training crack actually works... official 'gross' time of 1:56:49.... but stopped the Garmin at 1:55:17... :D:D:D I'm taking that as my time!! and they better fix the results :D

6 min+ PB :D

ENJOYed every minute of it, except trying to find my way the half a mile back to the hotel afterwards...

...and Murph broke the 3:30 barrier for the full...so a good day all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Smashing time Anna!!
    Roisin says congrats too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats on a superb family performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

well done, enjoy the recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Smashing! :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant Anna. Well deserved !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats Anna. Very well deserved :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That is great news, well done, especially in today's conditions. Absolutely delighted for you! Celebrations all round :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congrats Anna - that's a great PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Great stuff, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super stuff Anna all the training has paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thrilled to hear that Anna fantastic result!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done Anna absolutely delighted for you! You're made of tough stuff :D Hope you enjoyed the celebrations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

That's great Anna - well done! Hope you celebrated yesterday evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Brilliant Anna, delighted for you :) Your hard sessions are really paying off :)

Cork Half Marathon Report, Monday June 1st

I half expected this to be a report where I record how I battled the weather, pain, self-doubt and eventually dug deep to come through and narrowly get my PB, a triumph of spirit over the elements... But yesterday that was not to be...

I had a great day, enjoyed the race almost from start to finish, beat my target by about 2 mins and felt strong all the way. WTF?!?! How did that happen!?  

Pre-race
    I had hardly looked at the course, booked a city centre hotel, not realising that it was across the road from City hall and registration, 5 mins walk from the start of the marathon and 5 mins from the start of the half in the other direction... great choice of location, even if a bit accidental.  

I didn't do any thinking about the course or analysis, just had a quick look at the map. The weather forecasts were apocalyptic, that was the main concern.  I was pretty confident that I would break the 2 hours... pb from last year was 2:01:37 and just based on doing more training (and even losing a few pounds since then), barring a complete disaster that should be do-able.  

Very little sleep as usual the night before, D got up for his pre-marathon porridge at 5:45 (aaargh), so no hope of more sleep after that.  

My target pace was 5:30/km, roughly 9 min/mile which would get me 1:57ish... But as the weather rolled in from the southwest, and the wind started to get stronger, I decided I would be fine with anything between 5:30-5:40/km, that would be enough to get me there.  One thing I learned from DCM... adjust to suit the conditions! 

After a leisurely breakfast (porridge, what else?), walked over to the start of the Marathon with D, then cheered them round the first corner from South Mall.  The Raheny guy who won was already up front after 500m. They started at 9, we didn't start til 10:45 so had plenty of time.  Put my feet up for a while, watching the weather get worser and worser, feeling really tired — it did cross my mind that I could just go back to bed, I didn’t actually have to run 13.1 miles in this weather. So I left it until the last minute to head over to the start line, wrapped up in a black plastic bag. Jogged over, did about 10 mins warm up.  The marathon was passing close to the start so we got to clap the leaders, Raheny guy still at the front, looking comfortable with about 10 miles to go.  

The Race
    Lined up a bit behind the 1:45 pacers, with no intention of getting near them in the race, but didn't want to see the 2 hour pacers either. The start was very congested, took us a while to get over the line, hit start on the garmin right at the line and we were off.  

I got caught up in the usual frenzy — congestion, people weaving to get past… I was starting to get worked up, but I know enough by now not to worry about that, as someone on here said, don’t waste effort and run further weaving around people. I kept an eye on the pace, knowing that I usually go too fast at the beginning and trying not to.. the first Km was 5:21, not bad I told myself, not too fast. The second was 5:24, still quite crowded.

Then we went into some sort of park with narrow path and water in the lead up to the merge with the marathon… there was a hill out of there to the merge and it really slowed down here, there were too many people to do anything about it. The third Km clocked in at a worrying 5:48. Shortly after we merged with the marathon field, I spotted the 2 mile marker, looked at my watch: 18 mins, spot on. The second mile turned out to be my slowest one of the day.

We were now running along the river back towards the city and where we started, I was feeling comfortable. There were knots of supporters huddled in the rain. There was a relay changeover near the start of the Half and that brought a buzz of energy and people, then round the quays there were great crowds too. I took my first gel between 4 and 5 miles and it went down fine.

The mile markers were great (dividing by 9 is very handy!)… at each successive one, I had banked more time… 30 seconds, a minute by 5 miles. I had to keep telling myself slow down, slow down, save something for the end, you'll need it. By about 5 miles in, I knew I was in good shape... Then I started to wonder if I was getting cocky or complacent... you could blow up at the end if you overdo it now, so slow down! (in fairness, it’s not as if I’m fast :)). Each mile marker became a mini victory — a new 10 mile pb… by about 3 minutes.

I’m crap at remembering all the details of a race in chronological order and also I hadn’t a clue where I was for most of it… so random standout moments follow…

We were running on a dual carriageway and people lined the bridges shouting down encouragement. I looked up at a bridge and oh sh!t, there were runners on it… we’re going up there?! That was a steep, short climb at about 8 miles. I think I said 2 sentences out loud in the whole race.  The first was... "Fcuk, THAT’s a hill" as we rounded a corner into a housing estate and looked ahead at, well, a big hill. I said this to a girl beside me — peach top, designer gear, she looked at me blankly, earphones blaring! I’m leaving her behind, I told myself and took the hill in style :). I had Bungy and Hillside Runner in my head going up this one — I tried to emulate BG’s form on hills and thought of Hilly’s seven hills of Edinburgh, this one is nothing!

Second thing I said, to myself, was 'it is WINDY' as a bit of a tree blew into the road ahead of us. Come to think of it, I also scolded some teenage youth challenge relay runners who were walking, told them they were too young to stop. :)  I doubt that was motivational for them! 

The last 4 miles
    There’s only 4 miles to go… I never thought I would get to a point where I would think ‘only’ with 4 miles left to go :) … I had clocked up about 1:19 at this point… if I did 10 minute miles from here on, I’d just about come in under 2… it’s so liberating to realise that. Then I thought, sub 1:55 is a possibility here, should I pick it up a bit? but I didn’t, still a bit fearful of blowing up. I took a second gel around the 9 mile mark for the last push.

There was a lovely steep downhill, where I worried a bit that it might lead to the equivalent uphill but it didn’t, it brought us to a lovely lush green valley (Carrigrohane rd, I figured out later), water seemed to appear every time we turned a corner, then along the Mardyke and across the pedestrian bridge… looks like a lovely place to run. From there, I could feel myself starting to flag a bit — there’s something about knowing you’re in the last couple of miles of any race, it starts to feel endless.

We were all mixed up with relay runners (far too fresh looking!) and youth challenge runners (burned out after a mile and walking) and marathon finishers (glazed eyes by this stage). Compared to DCM, I saw very few people walking and they were mostly relay people. There were bands and music and hardy spectators… shouting encouragement to the marathoners who had their names on their numbers… handing out jelly beans, orange segments (I gratefully took an orange segment at about 6 miles and nearly choked on it, not doing that again!).

Then we were on the quays and the wind was fierce again. I hadn’t seen Peachy for a while and then she sped past me, with about a mile to go. No way, I picked it up a bit and went past her, triumphantly. A bit premature because as we turned on to the bridge over to Patrick St, about 400 m to go, she went past me again. Now if this was a Career Move or Dubgal report, Peachy would have been crushed… unfortunately, I was hemmed in by the crowd on the bridge and hadn’t enough left at that stage to go around the guys hemming me in to go after her… so she sailed off, earphones still intact :(

I did the last .2 of a mile at 7:27 pace… thanks Peachy! :) Crossed the finish line with the clock showing 1:56:xx, stopped the garmin at 1:55:18, absolutely delighted. Chip time, once they finally put it up today was 1:55:16.

What about the weather? It was wet, it was windy — sometimes at our backs, but often strong gusts sideways or in our faces. But it really didn’t bother me that much. For me, the temperature was perfect (about 9C, I think), I’ll take wind and rain over heat and sun for running, any day.

The hills… were grand, a few steep ones but not too long, a few lovely downhills where I let loose… all my Donegal/Fairview hill training stood to me.

Splits:
    8:43, 9:22, 8:26, 8:41, 8:49, 8:55, 8:44, 8:47, 8:45, 8:36, 8:32, 8:33, 8:37, (7:27)
    Fastest km was the 5th (5:09)… second fastest was the 21st (5:11)…
    21:3km/13.24 mi @ avg pace: 5:25/km; 8:42/mi;

The aftermath
    Walking from the finish line back to the hotel, I realised how cold and wet I was… dripping in the lift, an American tourist looked at me in horror, she had just arrived from the airport and couldn't believe people were running in this weather :D

I had the best hot shower ever, heard about D’s sub 3:30 and then we headed off to celebrate. The Sextant pub was offering free bbq burgers to anyone with a medal, never tasted a better burger. Met Yaboya, heard all about his current rigorous training plan and can testify that he was very dedicated to his S&C session yesterday afternoon. Dinner last night in Market Lane (lovely) with a Cork friend and some of her relay team, who all had a great day… think I need more recovery from the aftermath today than from the race :D

Reflections
    I know everyone says the training pays off… I really think the sessions make all the difference… as much for mental strength as physical. At no point yesterday did I think, I can’t maintain this pace.

Race practice pays off too… I know much better now where my psychological danger points are in a race, usually right before midway, whatever the distance… now that I know that, I don’t listen to myself any more.

And I suppose the base of steady training just increases endurance too.

Well, duh… or as D would say, well I did tell you all this :D

In September 2014, I did 5:45/km for the Dublin half and felt that I had nothing more to give on the day. Yesterday, my average pace was 5:25/km (8:42/mi)… and I’m a bit annoyed with myself for holding back and not going for the sub-1:55. Maybe I should be feeling more pain in these races. Maybe next time ;)

Now for the Race Series, and hmmm… must take a look at some marathon plans so I can try to exorcise the DCM 14 demons.

Thanks everyone for the support here… It really does help and reading about everyone’s training and racing exploits adds nuggets of wisdom that surface when you need them… sometimes!

Verdict on Cork: Lovely city (except for the fact that there are rivers in every direction and the streets go at all angles causing confusion for addled runners), really well organised enjoyable race, great support in that weather… and nice t-shirt too. Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^^ Great read.

Well done Anna on a superb performance in awful conditions. You can build on this now and improve even more.Keep up the good work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow Anna that's some improvement from last year you're setting the bar high. Congrats great report you sound like you really enjoyed it can't beat the refuse sack for the rain !

Super report Anna! Sounds like you really embraced the conditions. You managed to make it seem fun....wait, what ?

I'd say you got Peachy on the chip time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done anna.
    Those easy pb's are very satisfying.
    I’m a bit annoyed with myself for holding back and not going for the sub-55. Maybe I should be feeling more pain in these races. Maybe next time ;)

I'm pretty sure sub 55 would be a new world record.
    Don't want to be putting a dampener on it, but is your training really going THAT well?? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement