Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Wow Anna that's some improvement from last year you're setting the bar high. Congrats great report you sound like you really enjoyed it can't beat the refuse sack for the rain !

Thanks A... sure you're flying yourself, you'll be passing me out in no time!

yes, it's a good look for summer :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done anna.
    Those easy pb's are very satisfying.

I'm pretty sure sub 55 would be a new world record.
    Don't want to be putting a dampener on it, but is your training really going THAT well?? :D

:pac::pac: hey it's late, and I'm in recovery mode, leave me alone... :P

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super report Anna! Sounds like you really embraced the conditions. You managed to make it seem fun....wait, what ?

I'd say you got Peachy on the chip time ;)

I hope so, I need to identify her and see...

...i'm not sure i'd say I embraced the conditions:eek:, all that seafront wind had me well prepared, as you well know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    :pac::pac: hey it's late, and I'm in recovery mode slightly hungover, leave me alone... :P

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That was very well-paced, Anna, and so nice that you were feeling strong throughout, it's very special to have that in a race. Totally agree with you about taking rain and wind (well, wind only to some extent) over heat for racing days....

I’m leaving her behind, I told myself and took the hill in style :). I had Bungy and Hillside Runner in my head going up this one — I tried to emulate BG’s form on hills and thought of Hilly’s seven hills of Edinburgh, this one is nothing!

You do know I don't run those all? ... though the next time I feel like walking I'll be thinking of my responsibility as a my role-model ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

RedRunner wrote: »
    ^^^ Great read.

Well done Anna on a superb performance in awful conditions. You can build on this now and improve even more.Keep up the good work!:)

Ditto ^^^ brilliant stuff well done again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done Anna - well deserved! Great report, too, I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great report Anna, delighted for you. You've built a really consistent base from the last few months. +1 on the psychological wobble before halfway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What a positive report and race in shocking conditions. Fantastic.
    Am about for the week if you need a neighbourhood limp to ease out. Well done Anna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Absolutely brilliant running Anna. Really enjoyed the report too.
    I predict great things ahead for you this year and for DCM. It's only the start of your "journey":)
    It's gonna be an epic year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^ +1 That was a brilliant race and a brilliant report. You totally nailed it. Such a confidence booster. I tell ya, you're catching him ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Great report Anna and well done on the new pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic report! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Really enjoyed that report Anna, and such a strong finish, you're really in great form! Your positivity is fantastic too, as others have said looks like a great year ahead for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great report, and brilliant running in awful conditions!

• Advertisement

That was very well-paced, Anna, and so nice that you were feeling strong throughout, it's very special to have that in a race. Totally agree with you about taking rain and wind (well, wind only to some extent) over heat for racing days....

You do know I don't run those all? ... though the next time I feel like walking I'll be thinking of my responsibility as a my role-model ;)

Little did you know you were such an inspiration... no pressure now :)

I walked some of those Edinburgh hills and I'm impressed that you tackle them every weekend, even walking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great running and really enjoyed reading the report.

RedRunner wrote: »
    ^^^ Great read.

Well done Anna on a superb performance in awful conditions. You can build on this now and improve even more.Keep up the good work!:)

Thanks R, I hope so!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Great report Anna, delighted for you. You've built a really consistent base from the last few months. +1 on the psychological wobble before halfway!

I know, it was funny in Terenure how we both kept each other going through it.
    aquinn wrote: »
    What a positive report and race in shocking conditions. Fantastic.
    Am about for the week if you need a neighbourhood limp to ease out. Well done Anna.

oh, I thought you were still away, cool, will give you a shout.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Ditto ^^^ brilliant stuff well done again :-)
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done Anna - well deserved! Great report, too, I really enjoyed it.
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Great report Anna and well done on the new pb!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic report! Well done.

Thanks guys!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant running Anna. Really enjoyed the report too.
    I predict great things ahead for you this year and for DCM. It's only the start of your "journey":)
    It's gonna be an epic year!

Thanks O, we're already halfway through the year... !! DCM is the big one...
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    ^ +1 That was a brilliant race and a brilliant report. You totally nailed it. Such a confidence booster. I tell ya, you're catching him ;):D

DG... it's not a competition :p
    Runchick wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that report Anna, and such a strong finish, you're really in great form! Your positivity is fantastic too, as others have said looks like a great year ahead for you :D

Thanks Runchick, it was just one of those good days.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Great report, and brilliant running in awful conditions!

Thanks TG, perversely the conditions didn't bother me on Monday...

Week of June 1st
    Monday, June 1st
    Hmm… trying to remember… oh yes, Cork Half Marathon! :P

21.31Km in 1:55:18 (oh and all of 600m warm up too)

Tuesday, June 2nd
    Rest and bask in the glory :). Nothing more energetic than walking a few k.

Wednesday, June 3rd: 30 min recovery
    5.16k in 31:00 mins (6:00/km)
    Back to the seafront, legs feeling grand.

Thursday, June 4th: Rest, just walking

Friday, June 5th: 48 min easy
    7.63 Km @ 6:17/km
    In the ever energetic and enthusiastic company of aquinn, Griffith Ave to Albert College Park and back. She headed off to do a proper run afterwards :)

Sunday, June 7th: 10K easy
    10k at 6:07/km

Kids were invited to a 7th birthday party at the ya-zoo… The party host kindly offered that I could come in to the zoo with them… :eek: to my horror, what a waste of a party invite that would be! I graciously declined and took the opportunity to drop them off and have a run around the glorious Phoenix Park. The legs felt good, it was lovely to be back on the trails, did the perimeter loop. Between Farmleigh and Knockmaroon, you could be out in the country, lovely.

Ran for an hour at a leisurely pace, leaving myself time for a coffee and scone at the tea rooms… such a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

By the time I got back to the Lords Walk car park, it was chaos… people practically parked on top of the ‘please don’t park on the grass’ signs. Hate that!

Outside the zoo, someone told me that it’s Prison Officer’s Day out… and guess where they went? … the Zoo… ! Seems like a bit of a busman’s holiday. :cool:

WTD: 45 KM/ 28miles

For the first time since February, I find myself without a plan :eek:
    So, time to take stock. When I started the log in February, I set out the targets below... I'm adding an update for where I am today.

PB’s and tentative targets for 2015:

Distance|2013|2014|2015 target|June Update
    5K|26:24|24:53|<25|need to go for this soon
    5Mile|n/a|43:37|42:xx|41:16 in Terenure
    10K|60:00 Dec 2012|n/a|<55?|53:25 March Bundoran
    10Mile|99:26|90:53|<90|88 min in Cork HM
    Half Marathon|2h:19m:24|2h:01:39|1h:59m:xx|1:55:16
    Marathon|n/a|4h:43m|<4h:30m|???

Interestingly, the 5k, 5 mile and HM times are almost exactly 'perfect' McMillan... the softer PB's are 10k--predicted 51:42 and 10Mile: 1:26:25.
    McMillan also predicts 4:02:35 marathon off the HM time :eek: I can only dream of ever getting that close to 4 hours!

So, what to aim for from here? I have signed up for the Race Series, through to the HM in Sept and I think would like another crack at DCM too.

Some new targets then for the next round of training:
    5K: <24:45 somewhere other than Jingle Bells!
    5 Mile: Would love to get to sub-40, but even 40:xx
    10K: would love to get close to 50 mins... but based on McMillan, next target is <51:30
    10 Mile: <1:26
    Half: <1:55
    DCM: gulp. I think maybe around 4:15 would be a good target (and very very challenging), but will revise that based on whether I make it that far and how things go during the summer.

Now to find a plan to get me there :) Bye bye Clearlier plan, you have served me very well.

Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome as always!

*to borrow aquinn's log title

• Advertisement

This looks messy (so tempted to just stick with KM), main thing I'm taking from it is that upping the miles pays off!

|2013| |2014| |2015|
    |Km| Mi| Km| Mi| Km| Mi
    January| 50| 31| 73| 45| 33| 20
    February| 68| 42| 28| 17| 114| 71|
    March| 21| 13| 26| 16| 177| 110
    April| 102| 63| 29| 18| 175| 109
    May |104| 65| 41| 26| 180| 112
    June| 36| 23| 66| 41| 45| 28
    Totals| 382| 237| 263| 164| 723| 449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You'll be delighted to know that we already own P&D "Faster Road Running from 5k to Half Marathon", which you will find on your kindle the next time you fire it up. :P

PS The dinner is ready.

Murph_D wrote: »
    You'll be delighted to know that we already own P&D "Faster Road Running from 5k to Half Marathon", which you will find on your kindle the next time you fire it up. :P

PS The dinner is ready.

I'm going to start a plan from this book too. Well, I started one briefly before vomit bugs, races and hip creaking knocked me a bit. Interesting targets, again I'm in a similar frame of mind. Maybe another dual pace duty race soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

PS The dinner is ready.

I'm starting the half marathon plan from this book soon. Your times are very similar to mine Anna so will be good to have someone else on the same plan!
    Hope you enjoyed you dinner :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Anna another one here with similar targets for the year, will be watching your plan decision making with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

For the first time since February, I find myself without a plan :eek:
    So, time to take stock. When I started the log in February, I set out the targets below... I'm adding an update for where I am today.

PB’s and tentative targets for 2015:

Distance|2013|2014|2015 target|June Update
    5K|26:24|24:53|<25|need to go for this soon
    5Mile|n/a|43:37|42:xx|41:16 in Terenure
    10K|60:00 Dec 2012|n/a|<55?|53:25 March Bundoran
    10Mile|99:26|90:53|<90|88 min in Cork HM
    Half Marathon|2h:19m:24|2h:01:39|1h:59m:xx|1:55:16
    Marathon|n/a|4h:43m|<4h:30m|???

Interestingly, the 5k, 5 mile and HM times are almost exactly 'perfect' McMillan... the softer PB's are 10k--predicted 51:42 and 10Mile: 1:26:25.
    McMillan also predicts 4:02:35 marathon off the HM time :eek: I can only dream of ever getting that close to 4 hours!

So, what to aim for from here? I have signed up for the Race Series, through to the HM in Sept and I think would like another crack at DCM too.

Some new targets then for the next round of training:
    5K: <24:45 somewhere other than Jingle Bells!
    5 Mile: Would love to get to sub-40, but even 40:xx
    10K: would love to get close to 50 mins... but based on McMillan, next target is <51:30
    10 Mile: <1:26
    Half: <1:55
    DCM: gulp. I think maybe around 4:15 would be a good target (and very very challenging), but will revise that based on whether I make it that far and how things go during the summer.

Now to find a plan to get me there :) Bye bye Clearlier plan, you have served me very well.

Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome as always!

Hope you're going for the 5km in St Anne's will look forward to that one. Great work Anna. Here's a plan put your feet up and open a bottle of vino !!! Ah no we are too dedicated to do that !!!

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Hope you're going for the 5km in St Anne's will look forward to that one. Great work Anna. Here's a plan put your feet up and open a bottle of vino !!! Ah no we are too dedicated to do that !!!

Best piece of advice on this log to date :D done!

PS The dinner is ready.

I don't actually have to read it, do I :p and it'll only get me halfway there...
    I'm going to start a plan from this book too. Well, I started one briefly before vomit bugs, races and hip creaking knocked me a bit. Interesting targets, again I'm in a similar frame of mind. Maybe another dual pace duty race soon?

I'm game... let's go get that 5k time...
    chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm starting the half marathon plan from this book soon. Your times are very similar to mine Anna so will be good to have someone else on the same plan!
    Hope you enjoyed you dinner :-)

It was lovely thanks :D
    Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Anna another one here with similar targets for the year, will be watching your plan decision making with interest!

I'll update when I've read the book... :cool:

It's great that there's a few of us with similar targets, we can share the pain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I don't actually have to read it, do I :p and it'll only get me halfway there

Well you can either read it or listen to Murph when he tells you what's it says....I guess you will be reading it so :P

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well you can either read it or listen to Murph when he tells you what's it says....I guess you will be reading it so :P

:D or I could get random strangers on the internet to tell me what it says... :D

• Advertisement

No reason why you shouldn't be thinking of going with the 4 hour pacers by the time DCM comes 'round if your training continues to go as well as it is atm:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    No reason why you shouldn't be thinking of going with the 4 hour pacers by the time DCM comes 'round if your training continues to go as well as it is atm:)

ah here, you're scaring me again :) I think I should probably train for that pace though (once I figure out a plan) and we'll see...

Depending on the plan you're planning to follow and when it starts, initial mileage etc - there's a series of base building plans in that book that help you build up to certain mileage levels. They're 10 weeks long but you can jump in depending on where your current mileage is and what you want to build up to pre DCM training. Could help you pass the next few weeks until you start a specific DCM plan?

DCM 2015? You kept that quiet! Will be good to have a bit of companionship here for the 18weeks (and nop also of course), seems not too many of the 2014 novices are signing up again.

(PS I have the Pfitzginger and Douglas "Advanced Marathoning" book and will be going through it the week after next to judge how terrifying the 55miles plan looks. Not sure yet what I will go with)

DCM 2015? You kept that quiet! Will be good to have a bit of companionship here for the 18weeks

You crazy kids :D. I'll be out on the day with Jelly Babies which is as close as I'll get to a marathon this year. Laura, stay strong! Must. Resist. Temptation.

Friday, June 5th: 48 min easy
    7.63 Km @ 6:17/km
    In the ever energetic and enthusiastic company of aquinn, Griffith Ave to Albert College Park and back. She headed off to do a proper run afterwards :)

As if, I continued and did a loop to get me to 6 miles or round numbers on the clock so as not to freak out DG.

That patent has long expired so you are ok to use.

What about the meno marathon plan? D can easily assist with that and so no further research required?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    You crazy kids :D. I'll be out on the day with Jelly Babies which is as close as I'll get to a marathon this year. Laura, stay strong! Must. Resist. Temptation.

Don't worry, all good here. I'll stand on the sidelines with you and help eat the leftover jellies.

Don't worry, all good here. I'll stand on the sidelines with you and help eat the leftover jellies.

Just don't eat them pre-race.

aquinn wrote: »
    Just don't eat them pre-race.

I don't make promises I can't keep.

• Advertisement

I don't make promises I can't keep.

I think she meant the runners, Laura, not the spectators :eek:

Monday, 8 June: Reading
    I actually dipped into the book... Faster Road Racing, by Pfitzinger and whoever. Learned loads about lactate thresholds, twitchy fibres, etc., so I can now sound very knowledgeable when debates flare up :)

The biggest shock (again) was their recommendation on easy paces -- 17%-30% slower than HM pace... which means the faster end of my easy pace should be 6:25/km... MUST. SLOW. DOWN.

Tuesday, 9 June: Planning
    Used my running time looking at plans, instead of actually running :p ... can I claim that as cross-training? Having consulted my resident guru, I have decided on which plan I'm going to follow to DCM (hopefully)... *drum roll*... what else but the famous Meno plan? Murph swears by it, having used it 3 times now, I think... each time a PB.

He warned me off the P&D plans, especially the higher mileage ones for a second marathon, says he has seen too many people get injured on them. The Meno plan is higher mileage than I have done in the past, so I will probably be at the lower end of the mileage range, but sure we'll see how it goes. It will kick in right after the Dublin 5 mile, so I will keep ticking over with the Clearlier plan for a few weeks until then, I think.

Link to the meno plan here courtesy of Murph, for anyone interested, lots of details about the approach, sessions, etc.: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit?pli=1#gid=906928231

Wednesday, 10 June: 7 miles easy
    7 miles/11.3k in 1:06
    Avg pace: 9:30/mi; 5:54/km

So, now that I got the plan sorted, I better actually get out for a run. Was considering a session, but was advised to leave it another couple of days and keep it easy today... a day per mile raced is the rule of thumb.

Headed out the sea front into a light breeze, what a glorious day... went to the end of the bull wall and back, everyone I passed had a smile on their face, a bit of sunshine does suit us!

My legs felt tired and creaky today... is it possible to have DOMS after a week? Tried to keep it very slow, but was still too fast for the recommended easy pace. Threw in some strides (as they say around here) in the last km... 5 x approx 100m. The last km was the fastest, approx HMP (as recommended by 'the book'). Think some foam rolling is called for, left leg is quite sore now, same old piriformis niggle I think.

Cork HM epilogue:
    Precision timing put up their usual set of finish line videos, which are cool to watch... but they are missing a five minute segment... and in 4 hours of finishing, of course they are missing the 5 minutes where I crossed the line. Same with the 000's of photos posted... I did find one of my elbow on Patrick st. I also couldn't identify Peachy (not that I'm obsessive or anything), so I'll never know how much she beat me by :)

DCM 2015? You kept that quiet! Will be good to have a bit of companionship here for the 18weeks (and nop also of course), seems not too many of the 2014 novices are signing up again.

(PS I have the Pfitzginger and Douglas "Advanced Marathoning" book and will be going through it the week after next to judge how terrifying the 55miles plan looks. Not sure yet what I will go with)

Hey Hilly, Murph says the clue is in the title of the book... Advanced! See post above, his recommendation is a more intermediate plan, becuase it's a bit more flexible... however, you may be way more advanced than me of course :) ... and everyone has their own preferences.

either way, great that you and Nop are embarking on the scary journey too... !

Hey Hilly, Murph says the clue is in the title of the book... Advanced! See post above, his recommendation is a more intermediate plan, becuase it's a bit more flexible... however, you may be way more advanced than me of course :) ... and everyone has their own preferences.

either way, great that you and Nop are embarking on the scary journey too... !

No, advanced I definitely am not :rolleyes:, I am on the novices thread! But haven't looked at the book yet so am still in blissful ignorance of what it entails ;) .... Most likely I'll work from an enhanced boards plan (with extra mileage) that I drew up for the spring marathon. I have my mileage up at a decent level now and don't want to be dropping that in the early weeks.

Exciting times! Not sure about DOMS after a week...maybe if the foam roller doesn't sort it out schedule a sports massage ? Get rid of any niggles so you can smash the 5 miler and start DCM training with fresh legs.

I hope the camera caught the good side of your elbow ?

Hey Anna
    A few recovery effort runs over the next few days (at real recovery effort :) ) on grass or trail of 30-40 mins might serve you better if you've still a bit of DOMS. Was out on the seafront yesterday myself. Fabulous out there and around St. Anne's!
    Enjoy the foam rolling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

......My legs felt tired and creaky today... is it possible to have DOMS after a week? ..........

What was Murph's response when you asked him that question? ;)

MILES; I SEE MILES: YAY!

Good to hear you've decided on a plan and I think it's the right choice. I already have it saved down to contemplate from last time D posted it. No further progress made on it though. Looking forward to thoughts and progress.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    What was Murph's response when you asked him that question? ;)

Lol... :rollseyes: :) it wasn't really a serious question, just looking for a reason other than age-related decrepitude for the creakiness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I did find one of my elbow on Patrick st. I also couldn't identify Peachy (not that I'm obsessive or anything), so I'll never know how much she beat me by :)

lol - I'm a bit behind in the logs & thought for a split second that 'Peachy' might be a pet name for Murph :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

kit3 wrote: »
    lol - I'm a bit behind in the logs & thought for a split second that 'Peachy' might be a pet name for Murph :rolleyes:

Thats what i thought to, thinking it was in reference to his rear end!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement