Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats what i thought to, thinking it was in reference to his rear end!!

Kit has some excuse as a late comer to the party but you read Anna's report, B. So how did you get to thinking about Murph's ar$e?? :eek:

No wonder TbL has been avoiding a running date with you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Joking aside Anna. The Meno plan has indeed served Murph well. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

kit3 wrote: »
    lol - I'm a bit behind in the logs & thought for a split second that 'Peachy' might be a pet name for Murph :rolleyes:

:eek::eek:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Thats what i thought to, thinking it was in reference to his rear end!!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Kit has some excuse as a late comer to the party but you read Anna's report, B. So how did you get to thinking about Murph's ar$e?? :eek:

No wonder TbL has been avoiding a running date with you :D

well, he did follow Murph in Bundoran for several miles... ;)

jaysis, thought I stumbled into TBL's log here by mistake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

annapr wrote: »
    Hey Hilly, Murph says the clue is in the title of the book... Advanced! See post above, his recommendation is a more intermediate plan, becuase it's a bit more flexible... however, you may be way more advanced than me of course :) ... and everyone has their own preferences.

either way, great that you and Nop are embarking on the scary journey too... !

That 17-week meno plan has some very nice features in fact - I like the longer runs from the start, and the marathon-specific Wednesday sessions look great:).

Not sure I am ready to give up Tuesday intervals and the occasional parkrun, but will think it over ...

That 17-week meno plan has some very nice features in fact - I like the longer runs from the start, and the marathon-specific Wednesday sessions look great:).

Not sure I am ready to give up Tuesday intervals and the occasional parkrun, but will think it over ...

I don't think you have to, though, as far as I can see it mandates a number of sessions and long run, but other than that you make up the miles yourself... you could always switch the tues/weds or alternate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't think you have to, though, as far as I can see it mandates a number of sessions and long run, but other than that you make up the miles yourself... you could always switch the tues/weds or alternate...

All runs apart from the long run and the Wednesday session should be easy, so it would be a matter of dropping the Wednesday session if doing intervals on a Tuesday.
    Not really a problem but I would be ditching the intervals as you get closer to the marathon and get in more MP/HMP runs as per the plan.

Anna, I would ditch the 10 x 800m as the first session. It was originally intended as a 'yasso' session to get an approx Marathon goal time (amadeus did this with the novices way back when I was one) but when the cat is out of the bag it is kind of useless (you tend to have a goal already in your head when running them) and way too hard as a 'first session'.
    I had intended to repeat this closer to the marathon but never got around to it.

Something like 6 x 800m at 5k pace would be plenty as a first session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

How about a 'Meno plan' thread - too much work ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

No one wud finish it....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    No one wud finish it....

You're bold :P

It's a bit long but here you go Kit :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056797852

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

From what I've read, you build up to a full Yasso session over a number of weeks so you'd either have that in a pre-build up plan or would it be possible to integrate it into a marathon plan? Meno, if you integrated a build up, at what stage in the marathon cycle would you have the full 10 for the most useful indicator?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    From what I've read, you build up to a full Yasso session over a number of weeks so you'd either have that in a pre-build up plan or would it be possible to integrate it into a marathon plan? Meno, if you integrated a build up, at what stage in the marathon cycle would you have the full 10 for the most useful indicator?

Guys in my club like davedanon, did the full 10 about 3-4 weeks out having gradually built up the 800s from 4-5 reps over about 5-6 weeks.

To be honest I would scrap it from 'the meno plan' altogether as the sessions in my plan tend to be more tempo/MP/Progression run type sessions, not intervals. I think the Yasso's are a bit counter-productive as you tend to have a target time in mind before doing them and it can become a 'self-fulfilling prophecy' type of session rather than having any specific training purpose. Running 10 x 800m in 2:59 does not a sub 3 marathoner make.

menoscemo wrote: »
    All runs apart from the long run and the Wednesday session should be easy, so it would be a matter of dropping the Wednesday session if doing intervals on a Tuesday.
    Not really a problem but I would be ditching the intervals as you get closer to the marathon and get in more MP/HMP runs as per the plan.

Will sit down on Sunday and go through it and work out how much could sensibly be substituted intervals-wise.
    Pretty sure P&D won't be my plan because even though I haven't got round to reading the book, what I've heard suggests it is pretty prescriptive about the schedule, and I think I'd find that hard to handle.

Hope the beer training is going well Meno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

:eek::eek:

well, he did follow Murph in Bundoran for several miles... ;)

jaysis, thought I stumbled into TBL's log here by mistake :D

Only quality training, music and life tips in my log. No arses! (Apart from when FBOT comes along) :)

Good luck with the plan.

Murphs arse = peachy, Jesus, more like pineapple :)

TbL

Only quality training, music and life tips in my log. No arses! (Apart from when FBOT comes along) :)

Good luck with the plan.

Murphs arse = peachy, Jesus, more like pineapple :)

TbL

Thanks TBL, some serious training discussion was breaking out here until you came along to restore order :D.

*ps, I know it's all FBOT's fault.

Hey Kit, the link to the plan above includes the relevant posts explaining stuff from the thread. Not sure who was obsessive enough to put that together but it's full of great info.

Hey Kit, the link to the plan above includes the relevant posts explaining stuff from the thread. Not sure who was obsessive enough to put that together but it's full of great info.

Thanks Anna - will check it out - that's some thread to wade through.

menoscemo wrote: »

Anna, I would ditch the 10 x 800m as the first session. It was originally intended as a 'yasso' session to get an approx Marathon goal time (amadeus did this with the novices way back when I was one) but when the cat is out of the bag it is kind of useless (you tend to have a goal already in your head when running them) and way too hard as a 'first session'.
    I had intended to repeat this closer to the marathon but never got around to it.

Something like 6 x 800m at 5k pace would be plenty as a first session.

Thanks Meno, that was Murph's advice too, reckons it's too hard for a first session...

Thanks Meno, that was Murph's advice too, reckons it's too hard for a first session...

Glad to hear that - had a quick glance at it this afternoon & that session was scaring me off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

We will have to get that obsessive eejit (whoever he is) to update the document with all this new thinking, two years after the fact. :)

So 6x800 at 5k pace. What kind of recoveries - 60 secs? 90?

(Mind you I always enjoyed the 10x800 myself. This year was the only time it 'predicted' a faster time (3:23) than I did on the day though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Murph_D wrote: »
    So 6x800 at 5k pace. What kind of recoveries - 60 secs? 90?

When i asked about recoveries for 800s i was advised 3mins D, you may be told something different due to your greater fitness level than me, 3mins passes fast when your doing 800s though.

Well when we do sessions like that at the club it would be 60-90, depending on the structure of the session. But I take your point - week 1 of a marathon plan should ease you into it I guess. As it's meno's plan we should let him make the call.

It's a great plan. If you do it, don't forget to buy meno a pint in McGrattans afterwards. (Still owe him a couple myself, can't help it if he didn't make to the pub last year.) :)

Friday, June 12: 50 min easy
    5.1 mi @ 9:50/mi; 8.2 Km @ 6:07/km

Tried hard to keep this slow, afternoon sea front run. It felt warm and humid on the way back, I found myself missing the wind! Note to self: don't eat scallions for lunch if running in the afternoon.

Saturday, June 13: St. Anne's Parkrun :D:D
    Went out last night, had too much vino and didn't get much sleep, so I decided this morning was not the day for attempting the sub-25 5k. However, there was significant peer pressure from the fairview crew on the way out to St Anne's... Aquinn insisted on being my pacer, Bungy Girl and Hillside Runner accepted no excuses, pointing out that sometimes a hangover is required for a PB. We got to St. Anne's in good time (thanks BG!) said hello to a few fellow parkrunners and did a bit of a warm-up.

BG and HR were both looking for PB's or close to it today too... Bungy's last race for some time, she assures us. The sun was coming out, the park was looking lovely and before I could come up with any more excuses, Aquinn was beside me at the start line, already very chirpy.

Yaboya was doing 23 minute pacing duty so HR was keeping an eye on him and BG was way ahead of all of us, as usual.

Aquinn had her watch in miles, mine in Km and off we went... first Km felt good, second was quite consistent too... 4:53, 4:57... started to wonder if I could hold this pace for another 3. A was beside me going, how are the legs, you're grand... etc. etc. etc. :)

I know myself that I always flag in the 3rd km, and I know this route so well that it's almost pre-programmed where it's going to happen... "i need to slow down,' I gasped, 'no you don't, you're grand,' A says. I didn't have any extra energy to argue with her.

I checked myself for pain... no pain anywhere, except in breathing and feeling puffed... 'in through your nose, deep breath' , came the instructions from A. After 2 slower KM (5:05, 5:07), we finally turned on to the avenue for the home stretch -- always my favourite part and I know I can always pick it up here. And bloody hell, I didn't have a choice today... 'you can hate me afterwards,' A says, 'just keep running.' A man in front of us, listening to her patter, says to her... 'you're going to kill her.' :eek: My sentiments exactly at this point...

And then we crossed the 400m line and I knew we had the sub-25 in the bag... I think it was a strong finish but it was a bit of a blur! Fell into the finishing funnel and stopped the watch... at 24:24!!!!! :D:D Last Km: 4:30!

My legs were like jelly and I wanted to just lie down on the grass, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up again... my personal pacer/wand/torturer handed me some water... and I slowly started to recover enough to find my barcode and get scanned.

Bungy and Hilly both had great races too, so we all enjoyed a celebratory cup of coffee. Yaboya outlined his beer mile strategy for us :)

A beautiful morning in St Anne's, big crowd again and a Scotland v Ireland theme... some of the regulars ran in tutus... not quite sure how that related to the football, but definitely not PB gear :)

Absolutely thrilled now with that morning's work -- fair play to aquinn for being the most annoying enthusiastic pacer ever, she was brilliant! I would have been happy to sneak under 25 mins, but this is almost a 30-second pb over jingle bells in December... yaay. Haven't seen the official time yet, but I believe in the Garmin god.

edit: official time now in at 24:22, 20th woman, 2nd in age category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Brilliant!
    I agree with the hangover pb theory, it's happened for me a few times.
    Nice running, 23:59 isn't far at all at all now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You absolute legend Anna!
    I won't be giving out to you for running your easy runs too fast anymore. It obviously works for you!
    Super super running today!!!!

Now go get yourself 4 moose-heads and make it 2 pbs in one day:D
    Enjoy the celebrations! DCM sub-4 is looking really good for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

What a team! Well done Anna and AQ. There was no way you were getting out of that arrangment without a PB Anna! :D That's a big chunk off, especially a Jingle Bells time. Agree sub 24 not too far away.

Great stuff Anna - well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super stuff Anna so maybe I need to have more vino on Friday night !!!! No bp for me today but I'm blaming the Orange tu tu !!!! But a lovely day out in St Annes all the same. Well done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    No bp for me today

In fairness, it's always difficult to record a bp Mrs Mac :P

Official times up now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Anna, great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Excellent :D Well done Anna

Nice work from your pacer too ;)

libelula wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    I agree with the hangover pb theory, it's happened for me a few times.
    Nice running, 23:59 isn't far at all at all now :D
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a team! Well done Anna and AQ. There was no way you were getting out of that arrangment without a PB Anna! :D That's a big chunk off, especially a Jingle Bells time. Agree sub 24 not too far away.

... ah here, allow me to bask in the sub-25 for a day at least before raising the bar :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    You absolute legend Anna!
    I won't be giving out to you for running your easy runs too fast anymore. It obviously works for you!
    Super super running today!!!!

Now go get yourself 4 moose-heads and make it 2 pbs in one day:D
    Enjoy the celebrations! DCM sub-4 is looking really good for you ;)

Thanks A, I think I will find 4 somethings... but it won't be moosehead and there will be no mile involved :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Super stuff Anna so maybe I need to have more vino on Friday night !!!! No bp for me today but I'm blaming the Orange tu tu !!!! But a lovely day out in St Annes all the same. Well done !
    yaboya1 wrote: »

Thanks A... how's the tutu chafing? ;)

P... a bp is a 'best personal' of course.

Excellent :D Well done Anna

Nice work from your pacer too ;)

Thanks! she gets all the credit really for dragging me around against my will :)

That's me fired from pacing duty now. Ah well, never an ill wind etc etc. I played my part, driving the PB bus. Well done all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant! Just brilliant! Well done on the teamwork and enjoy the pb glow Anna :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Second in age category? What time do we have to beat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Am I allowed to swear??' That was chuffing fecking brilliant! Well done aquinn I mean Anna!! It's not that long that you have restarted structured training this year and you really are reaping the rewards. Said it before, Murph, she'll get ya ;):D

• Advertisement

Am disgusted with second!
    Was asked after it was I always competitive?
    What are you on about?
    Silence.

aquinn wrote: »
    Am disgusted with second!
    Was asked after it was I always competitive?
    What are you on about?
    Silence.

Calm down, girl. Not that I'm competitive myself, but of course I looked #1 up... She was 22:xx though so we weren't even close. :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Am I allowed to swear??' That was chuffing fecking brilliant! Well done aquinn I mean Anna!! It's not that long that you have restarted structured training this year and you really are reaping the rewards. Said it before, Murph, she'll get ya ;):D

Haha thanks. I was swearing at aquinn myself at the end. I'm still pinching myself, it's pretty cool. The difference now is I don't give up as easily (although I would have today if I didn't have jiminy cricket beside me) and I was able to take a mini recovery during it and pick it up again... Those interval sessions really have helped.

Ok I promise to stop going on about this morning now, well soon, but the other thing I would add was that it was the hardest race I ever did. I now know what everyone means when they say 5k is a tough distance!!!

annapr wrote:
    Calm down, girl. Not that I'm competitive myself, but of course I looked #1 up... She was 22:xx though so we weren't even close.

Not this week maybe. We'll get her.

Nice to meet you annap and was a lovely day all round! Keep aquinn ready to hand for the sub-24 attempt ;).

Just been driven to the airport with "flower of Scotland" turned up on the radio (for my sister-in-law and niece .....)

Nice to meet you annap and was a lovely day all round! Keep aquinn ready to hand for the sub-24 attempt ;).

Just been driven to the airport with "flower of Scotland" turned up on the radio (for my sister-in-law and niece .....)

Safe trip back Hilly! Great to see you again today and we'll all be on tenterhooks next weekend to hear about The Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    It is particularly on a 5 km but we will keep battling on !!! Enjoy the beer mile !

Saturday, June 13 PM... Beer mile timekeeper

Possibly the most high-pressure volunteer role I've ever done... with a national championship at stake, there was no room for error. Bungy was responsible for the scoring sheet, with runners identified by a mix of boards names, real names and tshirt colours (who needs chips). Dubgal provided the prosecco, which did not affect our concentration or precision. I can attest that the first beer was knocked back in an astonishing 8 seconds!

After recording the sprint finish, with only a second between two runners beating the Irish record, we had a momentary wobble when some irate runners accused us (correctly) of recording the finish times at the wrong line. Apparently a mile is a lap of the track plus 10 meters... who knew? Not me anyway, since I never ran on a track in my life. :p

The kerfuffle caused BG some consternation but she quickly recovered and the race director and most of the runners were beyond caring at this point :) Except for the 3 or 4 whose names got separated from their times, but they were all 10 mins+ so there was little at stake. Once the guy in the moose suit finished it was all over for another year. Runners and spectators dispersed in varying degrees of inebriation. Very enjoyable event.

Sunday, June 14: One hour easy (61 mins)
    6.26 miles @ 9:47/mi; 10.1K @ 6:05/k

Lovely run up the canal with Murph as far as Broombridge and back. I couldn't even be disapproving of the beer drinkers we passed, having been doing similar myself in Kilbogget park last night :p

Home in time to watch Donegal crush Armagh... less satisfying than it should have been because Armagh didn't really show up... McGeeney's biceps were a sight to behold though, he really should not wear short sleeves.

Only 35k/22 miles for the week, but a good week nonetheless. Time to up the miles again I think.

• Advertisement

After recording the sprint finish, with only a second between two runners beating the Irish record, we had a momentary wobble when some irate runners accused us (correctly) of recording the finish times at the wrong line. Apparently a mile is a lap of the track plus 10 meters... who knew? Not me anyway, since I never ran on a track in my life. :p

Even the race director didn't see to know it ;)
    He's lucky he walked on after he finished or I'd be claiming victory over him

Advertisement