Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

annapr wrote: »
    If the max was lower, say around 180, then the actuals would be too high. Ok, enough already, I will do a proper test, following the instructions in the links Clearlier provided... when I don't have a cold.

Yep I think you really have to approach it carefully, just like a race to give yourself the best chance of getting a proper reading. So taper for it so you're nice and fresh when you do it and do a good warm up and then try give it 100% effort for the test.
    Make sure you're wetting the sensors on the strap also so as to ensure you won't get spikes and get an accurate reading.
    Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »
    St Anne's Parkrun time. I'll be there for you, cheering!
    Yes actually that's a great idea. Push yourself to your limit at the end of the race and you should get a good accurate reading. aquinn can holler at you for the last few 100meters to push you to capacity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes actually that's a great idea. Push yourself to your limit at the end of the race and you should get a good accurate reading. aquinn can holler at you for the last few 100meters to push you to capacity:D

Here to help :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you take your RHR by just counting your BPM does it come out the same as with the HR monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Here to help :rolleyes:

:pac: bring the defibrillator just in case! or a flask of brandy :D

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    If you take your RHR by just counting your BPM does it come out the same as with the HR monitor?

I didn't actually try that, but now you've given me something else to test! the monitor arrived at a reading similar to what I normally get for RHR...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anna, it sounds like you just have a really high Max HR.
    I don't think it's uncommon and certainly nothing to worry about if it's true. the old 220-Age formula is jfar from accurate for many people.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you max is something like 220+ by the sounds of it. Just make sure that the max reading given to you after your run is not a 'spike' and is actually at the point of the run where you were working hardest (normally at the very end of a short race).
    If the max HR reading is at the start of a run; ignore it as this often happens due to static electricity, you often need to build up a sweat to get an accurate reading. A lot of people just ignore the first 10-15 minutes of any run and work out average HR from after that point.

I'd definitely suggest a 5k race as a great place to get an approx max HR reading, just make sure to do a decent warmup so you can eliminate any spikes in the HRM reading.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Anna, it sounds like you just have a really high Max HR.
    I don't think it's uncommon and certainly nothing to worry about if it's true. the old 220-Age formula is jfar from accurate for many people.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you max is something like 220+ by the sounds of it. Just make sure that the max reading given to you after your run is not a 'spike' and is actually at the point of the run where you were working hardest (normally at the very end of a short race).
    If the max HR reading is at the start of a run; ignore it as this often happens due to static electricity, you often need to build up a sweat to get an accurate reading. A lot of people just ignore the first 10-15 minutes of any run and work out average HR from after that point.

I'd definitely suggest a 5k race as a great place to get an approx max HR reading, just make sure to do a decent warmup so you can eliminate any spikes in the HRM reading.

Thanks Meno, that's really helpful. I need to do this systematically! The biggest spike was pretty close to the beginning of a run (first few minutes) so you have helped explain that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I did a dyi test following clearliers instructions and it gave me a figure I worked off for the first few weeks. But when I did a park run and the raheny 5 I came out with higher - 203 - which came right at the end when I was pushing myself after it built up through the race. Not an expert by any means but don't think you should be getting the max near the start, random spike?

Doing a park run would probably be the best place to start.

Met up with Bungy Girl for hill sprints in the hills of Fairview Park this morning. She led the way and we did 6 x 8 secs, with recovery in between.

I found this great -- watching BG from behind (of course!) really helped me see what is meant by form for these. She had the course mapped out by trees and I ended up a tree or two back from her each time, but I was consistent. Also understand better now what these are about -- less about speed and incline than about form and anaerobic conditioning (thanks for the coaching, BG!).

Felt really invigorated after this session. Might even be starting to shake the cold. :)

Warmup & Cooldown: about 3km easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Met up with Bungy Girl for hill sprints in the hills of Fairview Park this morning. She led the way and we did 6 x 8 secs, with recovery in between.

I found this great -- watching BG from behind (of course!) really helped me see what is meant by form for these. She had the course mapped out by trees and I ended up a tree or two back from her each time, but I was consistent. Also understand better now what these are about -- less about speed and incline than about form and anaerobic conditioning (thanks for the coaching, BG!).

Felt really invigorated after this session. Might even be starting to shake the cold. :)

Great to meet you this morning annapr. So much nicer to be able to chat during the recoveries rather than hanging around by myself like a loon :rolleyes: I still have no idea if I'm doing these right but I feel like the form is improving. Bring on the buns of steel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Is this something that you and Murph have talked about or will this be all new to him:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Is this something that you and Murph have talked about or will this be all new to him:P
    Oh dear...so tempted to 'thank' this post but really can't be encouraging this sort of behaviour :D:D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Oh dear...so tempted to 'thank' this post but really can't be encouraging this sort of behaviour :D:D

I'm staying out of it anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Me too ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »

:pac::pac: it was BG who mentioned buns of steel, not me!!! :D

:pac::pac: it was BG who mentioned buns of steel, not me!!! :D

It's true. This is all my fault.

I vote that Murph gets to lead the trail run on Sunday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not much to look at there, I'm afraid. :)

Saturday, 28th Feb

St. Anne's Parkrun -- 5k, 2k warmup around the park

Enjoyable park run this morning before the weather deteriorated... completed fairly comfortably in 26:30, so I'll take that as my tempo run for the week (only second in my age category this week -- the number 1 oul' wan was only 5 seconds ahead, if only I had known, it could have been a zimmer frame battle to the finish!!!). In the rush out of the house to deposit kids with the sis-in-law, I abandoned the HR monitor, so that will have to wait for another week.

Caught up with Ferris, who is coming back to form and FBOT who was looking very tough with his bruising and was very quiet as always ;)

Mrs. FBOT was doing all the work, going for that volunteer t-shirt :)

Park run is always a great start to the day. Especially when followed by goodies from the market.

• Advertisement

Sunday, March 1: Djouce trail run, 5 miles

I've done plenty of hiking and occasionally would see runners in the hills and think how mad they were... now I know why they do it. With Bungy Girl as navigator, the d3 crew got there in plenty of time and huddled in the car in the rain, wondering how we would spot Dubgal and the others without getting out of the car. No bother, we headed off right on time, after greeting Mr. Dubgal and the enthusiastic kids, well wrapped up in their snowsuits (I want one of those) and finding Adrian and Inigo.

As the slowest member of the group, I was afraid I might be too slow and/or find it very tough... but thankfully all the gazelles took it every easy today. It's a really lovely trail, winding around through trees and giving us a misty view of the waterfall at one point. I only flagged when an impromptu hill sprint broke out about 4 miles in on a bloody steep hill, but when aquinn had to stop to tie her laces, I was happy enough to stop in support:)

We got back to the car park soaked through and freezing but delighted with ourselves. There were lots of mountain runners around who were amazed at the amount of cake in the back of the car... we offered them all some but they looked dubious, not surprising, but their loss.

Felt great after this... I love being in the mountains. Great to meet Dubgal and Inigo and to see everyone. Looking forward to more outings.

WTD: 33.06 km/20:54 Miles
    February: 113.5km/70.53 miles

Happy to have two consistent weeks under the belt, with a good bit of variety and a hill or two!

Delighted you're hooked and I see you have taken the agreed consensual view on distance covered ;)
    Ps Mr Dubgal.... <3 it! Might even wake him to show him?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Sunday, March 1: Djouce trail run, 5 miles

I've done plenty of hiking and occasionally would see runners in the hills and think how mad they were... now I know why they do it. With Bungy Girl as navigator, the d3 crew got there in plenty of time and huddled in the car in the rain, wondering how we would spot Dubgal and the others without getting out of the car. No bother, we headed off right on time, after greeting Mr. Dubgal and the enthusiastic kids, well wrapped up in their snowsuits (I want one of those) and finding Adrian and Inigo.

As the slowest member of the group, I was afraid I might be too slow and/or find it very tough... but thankfully all the gazelles took it every easy today. It's a really lovely trail, winding around through trees and giving us a misty view of the waterfall at one point. I only flagged when an impromptu hill sprint broke out about 4 miles in on a bloody steep hill, but when aquinn had to stop to tie her laces, I was happy enough to stop in support:)

We got back to the car park soaked through and freezing but delighted with ourselves. There were lots of mountain runners around who were amazed at the amount of cake in the back of the car... we offered them all some but they looked dubious, not surprising, but their loss.

Felt great after this... I love being in the mountains. Great to meet Dubgal and Inigo and to see everyone. Looking forward to more outings.

Fair play Anna it was a horrible day out there today on the seafront .... Can't imagine what it was like up the mountains brrrrrrrr !!!! Was so sorry I left my long run to today never felt so cold !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Fair play Anna it was a horrible day out there today on the seafront .... Can't imagine what it was like up the mountains brrrrrrrr !!!! Was so sorry I left my long run to today never felt so cold !!!

You seemed pretty happy when I saw you :D

yaboya1 wrote: »

Seeing you must have cheered her up, P!

I think we missed the worst of the weather to be honest, when we left d3 the sun was sort of shining and when we got home it looked like there had been a freezing downpour in between, roads flooded, etc. You'll have to come to the mountains next time, Mrs Mc!

yaboya1 wrote: »

Think my face was frozen in a smile since killbarrack with the cold !!! Or maybe it was cause I was nearly home !!

Seeing you must have cheered her up, P!

I think we missed the worst of the weather to be honest, when we left d3 the sun was sort of shining and when we got home it looked like there had been a freezing downpour in between, roads flooded, etc. You'll have to come to the mountains next time, Mrs Mc!

I'll bring the flask ! I'm always happy to see anyone when I'm out running its a good distraction !

Ashford !!

That's the place in Wicklow I was trying to remember yesterday. Devil's Glen trail is near there and it's a spectacular run.

• Advertisement

5 x 3min @ 5k pace, with 3 min recovery
    9.01km, avg pace 6:11/km; 5.6 mi; avg pace 9:57/mi

I had to bully myself to go out and to do this, after arriving home from town frozen. I even considered resorting to the gym, but then I read a few of the hardier training logs and decided to go for it - telling myself, you never regret going for a run.

Started with almost 3k warmup, which took me to the sea front. As a concession to my inner wimp, I did the first 4 5k laps with the wind at my back, and into the wind for the recoveries. The final 5k pace was towards home into a strong wind. The effort felt harder on this one, not surprisingly.

Loved this session, each 3 mins felt hard, I wonder how I ever did 25 mins at this pace? :confused:

Laps:
    1 -- 4:53/km 7:51/mi
    2-- 5:00/km 8:03/mi
    3 -- 4:52/km 7:51/mi
    4 -- 4:59/km 8:01/mi
    5 -- 5:37/km 9:03/mi

Delighted with this, without looking at the watch during it, the pace was spot on.

Advertisement