Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    5 x 3min @ 5k pace, with 3 min recovery
    9.01km, avg pace 6:11/km; 5.6 mi; avg pace 9:57/mi

I had to bully myself to go out and to do this, after arriving home from town frozen. I even considered resorting to the gym, but then I read a few of the hardier training logs and decided to go for it - telling myself, you never regret going for a run.

Started with almost 3k warmup, which took me to the sea front. As a concession to my inner wimp, I did the first 4 5k laps with the wind at my back, and into the wind for the recoveries. The final 5k pace was towards home into a strong wind. The effort felt harder on this one, not surprisingly.

Loved this session, each 3 mins felt hard, I wonder how I ever did 25 mins at this pace? :confused:

Laps:
    1 -- 4:53/km 7:51/mi
    2-- 5:00/km 8:03/mi
    3 -- 4:52/km 7:51/mi
    4 -- 4:59/km 8:01/mi
    5 -- 5:37/km 9:03/mi

Delighted with this, without looking at the watch during it, the pace was spot on.

Great session, good on ya. I have to do the exact same one in the morning or it won't get done this week . Not feeling the love for it at present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great session, good on ya. I have to do the exact same one in the morning or it won't get done this week . Not feeling the love for it at present!

I know how you feel but you won't regret doing it! I'm finding these sessions feel much more like a workout and I feel great afterwards (well, duh... I hear all the experienced people thinking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

In fact that's almost exactly my own intervals session (mine still to do this afternoon!).

Weds, 4 March: 45 mins easy; 7k/4.38mi
    2.4k/1.5mi walk cooldown.

Recovery run after yesterday's exertions, legs feeling a little stiff. What a different day today, beautiful afternoon, blue skies, couldn't even complain about the wind.

Did this one from DCU with Murph, thinking I should at least set foot inside the gym now that I've renewed membership. Headed up through Ballymun Glasnevin North to Poppintree park, did a lap and back down, looking forward to at least using the shower at the gym... only to realise I completely forgot to bring a towel! and as for deodorant... DOH!

Walked home after a slightly sweaty lunch :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

9.01km, avg pace 6:11/km; 5.6 mi; avg pace 9:57/mi

I had to bully myself to go out and to do this, after arriving home from town frozen. I even considered resorting to the gym, but then I read a few of the hardier training logs and decided to go for it - telling myself, you never regret going for a run.

Started with almost 3k warmup, which took me to the sea front. As a concession to my inner wimp, I did the first 4 5k laps with the wind at my back, and into the wind for the recoveries. The final 5k pace was towards home into a strong wind. The effort felt harder on this one, not surprisingly.

Loved this session, each 3 mins felt hard, I wonder how I ever did 25 mins at this pace? :confused:

Laps:
    1 -- 4:53/km 7:51/mi
    2-- 5:00/km 8:03/mi
    3 -- 4:52/km 7:51/mi
    4 -- 4:59/km 8:01/mi
    5 -- 5:37/km 9:03/mi

Delighted with this, without looking at the watch during it, the pace was spot on.

Well done, super session! Just out of interest what pace are your recovery 3mins done at? Just wonder as want to try this sessions next week, I think I might have to slow down to a crawl!

• Advertisement

Mimojo wrote: »
    Well done, super session! Just out of interest what pace are your recovery 3mins done at? Just wonder as want to try this sessions next week, I think I might have to slow down to a crawl!

Hi M, I did slow down almost to a crawl... Just looked at pace and recoveries ranged from 11:26-12:55min/mile. That was into a strong wind but also on a couple of the laps I walked for the first 30 secs or so of recovery. For context, warmup was <10 min and warm down was <11.

My understanding is that it's ok for recovery to be really slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi M, I did slow down almost to a crawl... Just looked at pace and recoveries ranged from 11:26-12:55min/mile. That was into a strong wind but also on a couple of the laps I walked for the first 30 secs or so of recovery. For context, warmup was <10 min and warm down was <11.

Cheers for that Anna, just wanted to get an idea, that sounds good to me, and gives me a much better idea of how to do one of these sessions. Will report back last week on how it goes, and if towards the end crawling was my only option!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

God yeah absolutely! I think as long as you can keep jogging no matter how slowly it's fine.

Thanks Ososlo, good to have confirmation.

Mimojo... Enjoy it. You'll feel great afterwards. If not during!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Similar to me. My recoveries for these sessions are super slow as well. Usually around 11.xx pace. Similar paced warm up and cool downs.

• Advertisement

Thursday 5th March: 30 Min easy. 3.6mi/
    Squeezed this one in between work and picking up kids, plan called for 45 mins but could only get away with 30 mins. Nice run along the sea front, not too windy for once.

Friday, 6th March
    Plan had hill sprints, my legs were feeling very tired though so took a rest day instead.

Saturday, 7th March: 60 Min easy; 6.22mi (1:02)
    Plan was for 45mins, but added the 15 I didn't do on Thursday. It was after lunch, later than usual for me, the sea front was warm and sunny... but the wind... I am so sick of wind. 30 mins out, turned around and 30 mins back into a very strong wind -- way slower for way more effort! The second 30 was 400m shorter than the first, and not because I was flagging!

Example of wind effect: Km 5 pace was 6:05/9:48 -- Km 6 was 6:40/10:44. Felt like I was running to stand still -- has to be some resistance training benefit, I suppose.

Also claiming 2 hours standing around a GAA pitch watching 4 year olds at 'Nursery' as cross training!!

Sunday, 8th March: 90 Min; 8.94mi
    Clearly I don't have runner's OCD because I didn't feel compelled to round this up to 9 miles and was very happy to stop when the watch hit the prescribed 90 mins.

Did the first half of this with Murph -- headed through Drumcondra and up the canal. The W**d was strong and against us, but at least it was in the first half this time. We went our separate ways in the Phoenix Park, which looked sunny and beautiful and I came home via NCR and the canal again. Unlike yesterday, the pace didn't flag on the way home, but then the wind was at my back :)

This is the longest run I've done this year, I think. Legs felt tired going out, but felt much better at the end. Very enjoyable. Wondered how the Bohermeen and Ballycotton crews were faring, and if the wind was a factor in those races.

This was my third consistent week, following the Clearlier Plan, delighted with that. Next week, I'm switching to a HM training plan, leading up to Cork on June 1st.

WTD: 45.55km/28.3 mi
    MTD: 53.6KM/33.31 mi
    YTD: 199.68* KM/124 Mi

*now, that is an annoying number, so tempted to round up

We went our separate ways in the Phoenix Park, which looked sunny and beautiful

Just about to head out on my long run and saw this. Might head there instead of southside!

Well done on another good week. You'll be well set up now to go into the HM training.

just be prepared for the damn wind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

So glad I've had this week off :D Glad to see incipient OCDism creeping in...it'll get a hold of you, I tell ya ;)

Headed to the sunny south side after all. No wind :-) Doing my stretches now on the DART back.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Headed to the sunny south side after all. No wind :-) Doing my stretches now on the DART back.

That must look.... interesting! we were on Dollymount later and the wind seems to have died down a lot... beautiful day.

That must look.... interesting! we were on Dollymount later and the wind seems to have died down a lot... beautiful day.

Oddly enough I am not the strangest sight on the DART ...

Fab day all right, hopefully spring has sprung

SPECTACULAR day today.

9.9km*/6.15 mi; in 56:56; average pace 5:45/km; 9:15/mi
    3Km at 10K pace.

I'm torn between two plans this week -- Clearlier's and HH Half-M intermediate, which seems like too much of a step back.

And also signed up to do the Bundoran Cara 10K on Saturday morning (toyed with the idea of doing the 10mile but reckon it's at least 4 miles too far at this stage, plus it veers into Leitrim!).

One of the plans called for 60 min with 30 at Marathon pace... so I decided I would try to do 15-20 min at 10k pace, to see how that felt. The dreaded McMillan says 10k pace should be around 5:21/km (for a time of 53:39).

I bounded out towards the sea front (or the promenade as the posh people around here call it) feeling full of energy on the warmup. And it turned out to be very warm in the sun. After 3k at about 5:50/10:35, I upped it a notch to roughly 10k pace.

Splits at 10k pace were: 5:25/8:43; 5:14/8:25; 5:19/8:34

I was very happy to turn back into the lovely gentle breeze to cool me down. I found the pace tough, already telling myself that this won't be do-able for 10k on Saturday (negative self talk starting 4 days early).

My only other 10k was in Dec 2012, around 60mins. Barring illness, injury or a Donegal gale, I would expect a PB on Saturday -- Sub-55 mins should be achievable, I hope.

Best thing today was that I did finish relatively strong, partly because I got annoyed with myself for being so slow and useless. :rolleyes:

*my watch is playing games with me to make me more OCD. I swear I did 10k, not 9.9!!!

the sea front (or the promenade as the posh people around here call it)

I heard that!
    Splits at 10k pace were: 5:25/8:43; 5:14/8:25; 5:19/8:34

Nice splits :cool:
    I found the pace tough, already telling myself that this won't be do-able for 10k on Saturday (negative self talk starting 4 days early).

Always the way, but somehow the dots connect on race day with the adrenaline and what not.
    Sub-55 mins should be achievable, I hope.

Sure sounds like it. I'd say you'll take a big chunk off that. You were practically there today (even if it was 9.9K ;));)

Great tempo annapr!
    I'd say you'll go under 53 on Saturday. Well capable of it.
    Best of luck!! Will you take it fairly easy between now and then?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great temp annapr!
    I'd say you'll go under 53 on Saturday. Well capable of it.
    Best of luck!! Will you take it fairly easy between now and then?

thanks O, I'll be happy with under 55 for this one! Yes, planning to take it fairly easy... other than hill sprints with Bungy on thursday... :) will probably just do another easy run and then rest on Friday.

Looking forward to the 10k, first race this year for me. It's a bit early in the training but should be fun.

thanks O, I'll be happy with under 55 for this one! Yes, planning to take it fairly easy... other than hill sprints with Bungy on thursday... :) will probably just do another easy run and then rest on Friday.

Looking forward to the 10k, first race this year for me. It's a bit early in the training but should be fun.

Don't set yourself any limits and you never know what might happen ;)
    really hope you have a great race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

*my watch is playing games with me to make me more OCD. I swear I did 10k, not 9.9!!!

I have dialled back the watch OCD to .05 mile increments. If I can't finish exactly on an even mile, I will go until I reach the next factor of .05 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

You're in great form and all I can do is echo the voices of wisdom and good sense above! (BG and Os...although Paulie's suggestion is pretty sensible too :D )

PaulieC wrote: »
    I have dialled back the watch OCD to .05 mile increments. If I can't finish exactly on an even mile, I will go until I reach the next factor of .05 :D

Paulie, I can't decide whether you have an even worse case of OCD, based on that... :rolleyes:

...but what's that in Km? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Can't believe I'm only seeing your log now anna! I thought I had everyone followed :D your on my watch list now and am fully caught up, some great progress going on here will be dying to see how Saturday goes!

Firedance wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm only seeing your log now anna! I thought I had everyone followed :D your on my watch list now and am fully caught up, some great progress going on here will be dying to see how Saturday goes!

thanks FD... I'll be interested to see how it goes myself :eek: Optimistically, I just signed up for a six-hour hike on sunday morning :eek:

Thursday: Hill Sprints (7 x 3 mins: 8-10secs hill sprint, standing recovery)
    c.2miles warm-up & cooldown

Met Bungy Girl in Fairview Park for these. Warm up lap of the park, then back to her favourite hill. Couple of seconds jog, followed by 8-10 secs hill sprint and standing recovery. Repeat after 3 minutes. I tried to concentrate on form for these, hoping speed might follow :)

We scared some poor woman with a dog who wandered onto our hill -- she was startled to have two lunatics suddenly running up the hill after her.

I find this session really enjoyable, not sure what it really achieves (BG has all the science), but full of energy afterwards.

Might do an easy 30 mins tomorrow but then that's it until saturday's 10k.

We scared some poor woman with a dog who wandered onto our hill -- she was startled to have two lunatics suddenly running up the hill after her.
    QUOTE]

ha ha I'm the same. I hate when people get in my way in my park and my section behind Eurospar where I do my sprints session, and my section of the path in the Phoneix Park where I do my intervals. People should really know better than to get in the way!:D

Nice work girls! You'll have glutes asses to die for;)

• Advertisement

she was startled to have two lunatics suddenly running up the hill after her.

Wait until we start doing drills! They'll be out with the white coats.

Advertisement