Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Measuring a 2 mile race in Km's, 2 miles is easier I think. Well done on
    big mileage week and the racing:) Best luck in Terenure 5

Thanks G, Laura was working in miles so we had it all covered :D

spaceylou wrote: »
    Great report Anna and well done - last night was awful for running in! I was only attempting an easy few k and struggled with the wind A LOT, so well done for racing.

Fingers crossed conditions are better in Terenure on Sunday :)

Did you sign up for it??

Firedance wrote: »
    Good on you Anna :) BG is right, here's hoping the weather for Terence is much better & no wind!

Who? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    Who? :p

you know, Terrance! that famous race every year :p

TERENURE!!!! sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on Tuesday Anna. Conditions were awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice racing, and a very enjoyable report to read :)

Sorry I couldn't make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

annapr wrote: »
    Did you sign up for it??

No, I decided I'm not in any state to race it and if I really want a long sleeve top I could just go and buy one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope the recent trend of great racing continues in Terenure tomorrow Anna, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck tomorrow at Terenure!!

Oh yes best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a great race, Anna! Sorry won't be there to support (junior parkrun and the awarding of 'half marathon' band taking priority I'm afraid :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow, I'll be down around KCR I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck tomorrow, Anna. See you out there...ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

See ya tomorrow best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow Anna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Kick some southside ass!

Saturday, 14 May: Seafront easy
    7k @ 5:51; 4.3 mi @ 9:25

Dropped the kids to GAA and headed out the sea front to the Bull Wall and back, beautiful morning for it. Soon figured out that there was an East of Ireland marathon going on around me, fair play to those runners. Wasn't feeling particularly energetic but felt good after it.

Sunday, 15 May: Terenure 5 mile

Well, that was sh1te. This was a great race for me last year, PB of 41:18, a great boost after a good block of training leading up to the Cork half.

No consistent training this year.... Knew I wasn't likely to be getting a PB but thought I could possibly aim for around 42 minutes. Considered using it as a training run but decided what the hell, you might as well race it, find out where you are. Wasn't at all worried or nervous about it, had a decent night's sleep last night, usual porridge for breakfast. Headed over to Terenure with D, the boys and super supporter, aquinn.

Right after we parked the car I was hit with stomach cramps and could focus on nothing but finding a toilet quickly :eek:. D took the boys off to Bushy park. We had a brief chat with jake1970 and wished him well, then left aquinn to chat with the hundreds of people she knows, while I rushed to find the toilets in the school... Thankfully I made it.

My legs were feeling a bit wobbly as I did a short warmup, but I thought I would be OK for the race. Chatted to Belcarra and R, wished them well, then lined up close to the 45 min pacers... And we were off. The first mile felt fine, hitting the pace comfortably enough, but as soon as we turned back up towards KCR, it started to feel like a struggle. The whole thing is a bit of a blur from there on... Battling myself, willing myself not to walk, to just keep running. At one point I was almost writing my race report in my head, lining up the excuses... 'Had to drop out because of cramps, heat, tripping over a Bollard, whatever....' Right, cop yourself on, you are not going to DNF, you are not going to walk, just slow down if you have to.

I stupidly hadn't brought my running cap with me.... And the sun was becoming more oppressive with every step, it wasn't really that hot, just the full glare of the sun was bothering me. Any bit of shade along the way was very welcome, I even thought I should walk in the shade that would be good... NO, keep running. I did a DG style self check to see where the pain was.... No pain, just wobbly legs and at times a wobbly head too.

Finally into the last half mile, and I so wanted to stop and walk, but kept going and trudged over the finish line, feeling awful. Not sure if I ever felt worse at the end of a race, really wiped out and no buzz whatsoever.

Positives from today: very well organised race as always, lovely morning, great atmosphere, nice to see lots of boardsies and park runners. Goodies afterwards! (The boys had more than their share). I gave it everything I had, even if that wasn't much on the day!

I want to steal the wisdom from FBOT's report... And Myles Splitz response that positives can be drawn from the outcome rather than the race... Hopefully it's the kick in the arse I need to get back to consistent training!

I've signed up for the Race Series, and am going to make the Dublin HM my target race... Time to get on a plan and stop procrastinating!!!

Gun time: 44:08
    Chip time: 43:37 5:27/km; 8:46/mi

Splits: 8:22, 8:36, 8:51, 8:55, 9:00 .... A perfect regression run! :eek:

*as yaboya might say

tang1 wrote: »
    Hope the recent trend of great racing continues in Terenure tomorrow Anna, run well.

The recent trend is continuing alright, nothing to do with great racing though, :p but thanks!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, I'll be down around KCR I think.

Thanks for the shout outs today Adrian!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, Anna. See you out there...ENJOY!!!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    See ya tomorrow best of luck :)

Thanks Mr & Mrs Mc... Don't think D6 was kind to any of us today!
    Singer wrote: »
    Kick some southside ass!

:pac: :pac: I wish... Maybe I did but it would have been very slow southside ass :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Anna.

Thanks L... Good to see you today and really well done on your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Tough day for most I talked to, best luck with training for half, armed with more
    racing experience.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well Anna, some nice goals there for the Sumner once you get stuck into the training you'll be flying again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Firedance wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well Anna, some nice goals there for the Sumner once you get stuck into the training you'll be flying iagain

+1

Your pb pace is 5:07/k so dropping 20s/k isn't a terrible performance all things considered! I know what your dissapointed with is the way the race went but I find if the first mile is downhill it's easy for that to happen! Onwards and upwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hard luck, Anna. Wasn't to be today (and not just for you by the sounds of things) but the Race Series should focus the mind. Happy to nag motivate at any time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

God your report reads just like mine ! I considered walking too I've never done that in a race ! Glad we didn't succumb :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like my Terenure race last year :eek: chalk it up and move on. You know what went wrong and what needs to go right. Fwiw, I think that if you decided to race it, 36+ mins of jogging the day before was too much, enough to blunt any freshness that might have been there in the first place. Secondly, absence of nerves would have been a clanging klaxon to me! Nerves are goooood. Well, controlled nerves are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

As Mrs Mc has said already that could have been my race report also. Even though I got a PB(my previous PB was soft) it was probably my worst run race. I went through all the emotions that you did including the DNF, I thought the race would never end. It was nice to meet yourself and aquinn before the race and best of luck with the HM training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

'twas a difficult day all over - dont be hard on yourself.
    The fact you fought the demons, kept running and had a good workout is the main thing from this race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    God your report reads just like mine ! I considered walking too I've never done that in a race ! Glad we didn't succumb :)

Me too! That slight uphill drag with the sun in our faces from just before the 4-mile mark ... I was making mental excuses to stop and walk ('my ankle, my back !!') but eventually told myself that hills and heat only last a little while and if I kept pumping my arms I'd be there soon ...

I found it pretty tough, as did a lot of people I talked to, so I wouldn't be too down on yourselves. It was our first hot-weather race of the year - we need time to get acclimatised after that awful, cold spring! Well done Anna & Anne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to read you had a meh run, but use it to spur your training on for the race series.

Use it to make the Consistency consistent so you won't have to feel like yesterday at your next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hard luck Anna, sounds like you had a tough day out. It was fierce hot alright - I normally melt in the heat but I actually coped quite well with it yesterday. That said, the drag at miles 3-4 nearly finished me off. And when I realised we turned off it in the last lap, well I was a happy camper :) Onwards and upwards for the race series, good luck with your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'd echo a lot of what others have already said , it wasn't a good day racing wise for a lot of people but sure we all need something to put right don't we ?! Lots of hurt out there , hurt builds character !

Advertisement